There’s no election, but Tories show off campaign headquarters anyway

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Andrew Mayeda
CanWest News Service

Today the Conservative party unveiled a new French attack ad at their "Campaign HQ" (aka the war room), located in Ottawa's east end (2713 Lancaster). MPs Maxime Bernier (not pictured) and John Baird, right, were present. The ad is critical of Liberal leader Stephane Dion.

CREDIT: MIKE CARROCCETTO, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN / CANWEST NEWS SERVICE

Today the Conservative party unveiled a new French attack ad at their "Campaign HQ" (aka the war room), located in Ottawa's east end (2713 Lancaster). MPs Maxime Bernier (not pictured) and John Baird, right, were present. The ad is critical of Liberal leader Stephane Dion.

OTTAWA — The federal Conservatives flexed some muscle for the opposition parties on Monday, unveiling their national campaign headquarters and rolling out fresh attack ads against Liberal Leader Stephane Dion.

Conservative cabinet ministers continued to insist they do not want an election, even though some polls show the Harper government approaching the 40-per-cent mark in support. But, just in case the opposition gets any ideas, the party gave the media a tour of its Ottawa-based campaign headquarters, which is already being dubbed the "Stephen Bunker" by some reporters.

The Liberals, meanwhile, are calling it a "17,000-square-foot fear factory."

Liberal MP David McGuinty accused the Conservatives of spending more time intimidating the opposition than governing.

"They fully intend to defeat themselves at the first opportune moment. It's clear they don't want to do the job."

The campaign headquarters, which is considerably larger than the base used by the Conservatives in the last election, includes a television studio, training facilities and a war room. In the main strategy room, workstations with flat-screen computers have been set up for everything from "candidate support" to "direct voter contact."

The walls are blanketed with posters of Harper.

If an election is called, the Conservatives could fire up a campaign almost instantaneously, say party officials.

Environment Minister John Baird said the party has taken the "big and costly step" of opening the headquarters because Dion has made it clear he wants an election.

Like Harper, Dion has insisted in recent weeks he does not want an election. But Baird said the Liberals' opposition to the federal budget demonstrates their rush to head to the polls.

"Clearly, Mr. Dion has an urge to campaign. We, on the other hand, have a genuine desire to govern," said Baird.

The Harper government has introduced a bill that would fix the term between elections at four years and set the next election date as October 2009. Baird said the government hopes not to have to rev up its headquarters until then.

But McGuinty noted the government has so far refused to accept a Liberal amendment that would fast-track the legislation.

The Conservatives also unveiled a new attack ad against Dion aimed at the Quebec market. It shows the face of the Liberal leader while ominous-sounding music plays in the background. A voiceover declares the Harper government's recent budget "fixed" the fiscal imbalance, a concept Dion once called a "myth."

The new Conservative offensive comes as the Liberals test their own ads, both positive and negative. Last week, the party screened a number of ads for focus groups in Montreal. The screenings suggest the Liberals will focus on the environment in their political messaging.

Ottawa Citizen

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I can't think of a single thing worth bringing the country to a halt over. Wonder what they're thinking.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
It's an odd game the Con sare playing on this one- everything I hear in the mainstream media suggests that the Con government is some kind of "poor victim" at the hands of the cruel, self-centred opposition parties- to me, it REALLY seems like they're doing a painfully obvious "Brer Rabbit" manouver "Oh we REALLY don't want an election" coupled with some classic victim mentality "If the opposition forces this un-wanted, unnecessary election on us, SADLY we will have to do our best"

I think that their strategy for the OBVIOUSLY upcoming election will be that THEY wanted to keep the government together, but the big bad opposition was against them for no reason but cos they're MEAN, and I have a sinking feeling that such BS will work a little too well

I mean, I don't understand how ANYONE could buy the "we don't want an election".... WHY THE HELL is the actual government spending so much time and money trying to destroy the credibility of the sitting opposition with all them bogus attack ads?? And since the ads based on Slander and Innuendo seem to be okay, what choice does the opposition have but to come out fighting against the government??
I always thought a minority government was supposed to work together in ways that majorities don't necessarily have to- instead, we have the minority party simply trying to destroy the opposition by any means available(trying to build a majority situation against the actual numbers), whereas it SEEMS to me (a non-partisan fellow to be sure) that the opposition is doing exactly what they should be doing in a minority situation, trying to get more balance from the initiatives the government has proposed without directly trying to "eliminate" them....

I'm SURE the Cons would do whatever it takes to avoid this unwanted, unnecessary election

Reactions: snowles

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
They are flexing their muslcles.

The Conservatives have the Liberals by the short and curlys. The CPC is just putting the Liberals in their place. If the Liberals keep talking about how bad the Conservatives are for the country, the Conservatives could simply ask them to put up or shut up.

Either bring down the government and force an election or quite your bitching and whining.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Either bring down the government and force an election or quite your bitching and whining.

BUT it's the Conservatioves that have been crying- what has the opposition done to hinder the government, besides their actual JOB, trying to work with the government towards consensus, and objecting to the parts of proposals with which they don't agree?? I mean, come on, it's a slim minority government, are the opposition supposed to grab the rubber stamp and hold on for the ride??

To hear folks like you, crit13, tell it, they have been attacking the government ceaselessly and without any actual reason, which again re-inforces my point about the Cons playing an "innocent victim"

How anyone can still believe that BS, especially in light of the ridiculous, mean-spirited, truth-stretching attack ads (in a NON election period, to boot) is FAR beyond me

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Environment Minister John Baird said the party has taken the "big and costly step" of opening the headquarters because Dion has made it clear he wants an election.

Like Harper, Dion has insisted in recent weeks he does not want an election. But Baird said the Liberals' opposition to the federal budget demonstrates their rush to head to the polls.

And it appears the NDP wants one too.

There was no substantial reason for the opposition parties to not vote for the budget.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
especially if you enjoy watching fiscal conservatives spending like a bunch of drunken sailors.

in a French port, no less.:lol::smile::smile:

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
what has the opposition done to hinder the government,

By taking the opposite view on virtually anything the government does.

How about voting against the government on a vote of confidence a la the budget?

Voting against the budget is pretty much asking for an election.

ridiculous, mean-spirited, truth-stretching attack ads

How ironic that in most of those ads, it's Liberals themselves that are attacking Dion. "We didn't get it done"

How is that stretching the truth? It's not the Conservatives fault that Liberals themselves can't respect their leader. Can you blame them?

especially if you enjoy watching fiscal conservatives spending like a bunch of drunken sailors.

Isn't it amazing how much money we have as a country when the Liberals aren't losing a Billion here and stealing a Billion there?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Isn't it amazing how much money we have as a country when the Liberals aren't losing a Billion here and stealing a Billion there?

What's REALLY amazing is how hard the Conservatives are trying to buy votes while revenues are through the roof.

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

GenGap

Electoral Member
Mar 19, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
BUT it's the Conservatioves that have been crying- ............
How anyone can still believe that BS, especially in light of the ridiculous, mean-spirited, truth-stretching attack ads (in a NON election period, to boot) is FAR beyond me

Yes, the conservatives are more centered these days; self-centred.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Dion sumed it up best
"You can't blame the Conservative party for running negative ads," Dion said.
"They wanted to do a commercial about all the good things they've done . . . but there wasn't enough material for a 30-second spot."
Now THAT is funny :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

in a French port, no less.:lol::smile::smile:

The only people who should have problems with this budget are conservatives. (What are they going to do though...vote Liberal? :lol: )