A federal election could be forced tonight......

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
With the PQ losing and slipping to third in the province of Quebec, could the Bloc perhaps abstain from voting or vote against the budget? The money in the budget is going towards a federalist government in Quebec and I don't see how Duceppe could still support it. They were supposed to take the money and run, but instead the PQ ended up losing seats to the federalists.

So, with all that is said will the Bloc change their minds on the budget and at least abstain(I hope so because as a NDP supporter I really want Dion to be PM)?

Harper= Bush puppet.

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Best hypothesis I've heard for the elction is as follows.

Harper has said he is in favour of fixed election dates, and has no intention of calling an election.

The Conservatives are inching close to that majority territory in the polls.

Harper will introduce some crime bill, and make it a confidence issue. If Dion votes it down, he's weak on crime. If he votes for it, he loses support from the more liberal voters. Either way it is a win-win for the savy PM.

Remains to be seen what will actually happen.

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
Best hypothesis I've heard for the elction is as follows.

Harper has said he is in favour of fixed election dates, and has no intention of calling an election.

The Conservatives are inching close to that majority territory in the polls.

Harper will introduce some crime bill, and make it a confidence issue. If Dion votes it down, he's weak on crime. If he votes for it, he loses support from the more liberal voters. Either way it is a win-win for the savy PM.

Remains to be seen what will actually happen.
Still, I can't see any reason why the Bloc might still support the budget. With the Liberal win in Quebec, the money in the budget is no longer used for sovereignty. I just hope Duceppe can think and vote against the budget to force an election so that Dion can be PM ASAP.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, that analysis makes sense, Tonnington, I kinda see a similar situation myself- any "confidence motions" introduced will definitely be the "with us or against us" type...

I really dislike the man, but Harper IS good, gotta give him (or whoever pulls his strings- NOT Bush in this case tho) that at least

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The strings that operate Bush are the same strings that operate Harper. Harper could completely distance himself from Bush 100% and the strings would remain the same.The corporate ruling class owns and operates both specimins.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, and Harper's 'Grand Bargain' of the right

The rise of Mario Dumont's ADQ, which ran a close second in Quebec is even more helpful to Harper than the mere re-election of Jean Charest's Liberals would have been.

>by James Laxer
March 27, 2007
The results of the Quebec election open the door for Prime Minister Stephen Harper to act on a proposal he made a few days before Quebeckers voted that has fateful, long-term implications.
Along with delivering so much money to Quebec in the recent budget that the Bloc Québécois has decided to support it, Harper declared that if Quebeckers elected a federalist government, Ottawa would negotiate a deal with Quebec that would severely restrict the power of the federal government to undertake spending initiatives in areas of provincial jurisdiction.
The federal government's right to spend on whatever it likes, the so-called “spending power,” has underlain Ottawa's initiation of national shared-cost programs, the classic case being medicare. Another case is the Trans Canada Highway. These programs, in areas of provincial jurisdiction, were launched when the federal government enunciated the principles on which the plans would be based and offered money to those provinces that agreed to set up such programs on their territory.
In return for Quebec's acceptance of this version of a dramatically de-centralized federalism, Harper would either legislate (or seek a constitutional amendment) to remove Ottawa's right to make such initiatives in the future. The new rules would apply to the federal government's relationship with all the provinces, not just with Quebec. This Grand Bargain would fundamentally remake Confederation.
Such a change in the basics of Canadian federalism would, for insthttp://www.rabble.ca/poitics.shtml?x=58188

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Still, I can't see any reason why the Bloc might still support the budget. With the Liberal win in Quebec, the money in the budget is no longer used for sovereignty. I just hope Duceppe can think and vote against the budget to force an election so that Dion can be PM ASAP.

You have to be kidding right? Dion is a know nothing, weasel, that will slip through any crevice given. How long was he a Liberal MP and only given posts where he could do no damage? Even they didn't think he was worth giving any real responsibilty.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I guess that depends how much responsibility you consider matters of secession from Canada to hold.

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
I can't see the Bloc the wanting an election any time soon, with the seperatists provincially loosing so many seats to the more conservative ADQ. I would wager there strategy would be to wait and do some revamping and damage control to there image, so come the next election they retain their existing support and return to the growth they were more accustomed to. Right now i would think the results of yesterdays election would have them somewhat uncertain over the swing in voters away from there camp.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
I can't believe what I'm reading in some of the posts. Either there are some very naive people or they are so blinded by their radical left wing idealogue, they can't tell the diference between clap trap and reality.

The election in Quebec is a huge victory for Harper. The seperatists no longer have any purpose in Ottawa as they were soundly rejected by Quebecer's. If Duceppe only has the support of less than 30% of Quebec, then waht's the point. He represents a party that placed 3rd in a provincial election.

A more resounding victory for Harper is that Quebec has all of a sudden become a fertile ground for Conservative votes as the ADQ/Conservative party surged to almost take power in Quebec. The ADQ is a right wing party with ties to Harper. This could not have worked out any better for Harper. On one hand the Charest Liberals get to hold onto power which Harper was backing while at the same time the ADQ came out of nowhere to not only desimate the seperatists, but to also be a recognized contender to govern Quebec in the next election which could come soon with a minority government.

I too hope that the Bloc rejects this budget because it will guarantee a much stronger minority or a majority for Harper. The Liberals are getting killed everywhere. The NDP is quickly becoming even more of a non factor and the seperatists are tanking by the day in Quebec.

The latest polls show the Conservatives gaining support from all demographics of Canadians.

When Dion was voted leader, the Liberals cheered but you could barely hear them over the cheers coming from the Conservatives camps. I remember high fiving my wife when Dion won. I hope he remains the leader forever.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Since when did being a lover of the Harper corporate party make someone an expert on reality and immune to conservative claptrap? The conservative party is a club of dinosaurs with dangerous ideas about power and morality. The sooner they follow thier saurian ancestors into history the better this country will be.:lol:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
The Bloc can't vote against money for Quebec no matter that the Prov. Liberals will just us the money for their own gain. The optics are terrible for the Bloc to cancel money going to Quebec..ain't gonna happen. The only thing it would say is they want to punish Quebecers for voting ADQ.

Funny how both a Liberal win and the ADQ comming in second work for Mssr 'arper..he does play a mean game of chess does he not?

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Since when did being a lover of the Harper corporate party make someone an expert on reality and immune to conservative claptrap?

Ever since Harper.....
DIDN'T put soldiers on our streets.
DIDN'T declare Canada the 51st state.
DIDN'T send our troops to Iraq.
DIDN'T declare all corporations exempt from paying any taxes.
DIDN'T ban homosexuals from leaving their homes.

I could go on for hours, but it's pretty clear that the biggest bull **** ridiculous and childish comments come from the left.

The conservative party is a club of dinosaurs with dangerous ideas about power and morality. The sooner they follow thier saurian ancestors into history the better this country will be.:lol:

The most dangerous parties for Canada are the Liberals for stealing our money and practically losing two provinces to seperation in the process.

and the NDP for if ever elected into power would transform Canada into some Cuban or Soviet hybrid.

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
Well, as a person at the centre of the political spectrum I support Dion more than I do that Bush admiring Harper and would do anything to see him replace that dolt named Harper. Harper is basically a political manipulation. He is too easily manipulated to be a leader. First, he bends down to Bush, now he bends down to Quebec. What's next I wonder? Really, I don't see much life left in Mr. Harper. Dion has some great visions for all Canadians including good funding for the poor and the environment. If the Liberals weren't so corrupt, I'd actually be voting for them instead of the NDP.

The next election will be a repeat of 1993.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
With the PQ losing and slipping to third in the province of Quebec, could the Bloc perhaps abstain from voting or vote against the budget? The money in the budget is going towards a federalist government in Quebec and I don't see how Duceppe could still support it. They were supposed to take the money and run, but instead the PQ ended up losing seats to the federalists.

So, with all that is said will the Bloc change their minds on the budget and at least abstain(I hope so because as a NDP supporter I really want Dion to be PM)?

Harper= Bush puppet.

You don't understand Québec. Don't pretend you do.

Last edited:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
...The next election will be a repeat of 1993.

I wouldn't go that far. That was from the Reformatories and Bloc taking their voters with them.

the ADQ vote has "neither of the above" written all over it but if Harper wants to pull the plug he won't see me trying to stop him. If I could I'd personally double-dog dare him to.

the ADQ isn't federalist, btw. its populist with whathisname talking around it all the time.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Well, as a person at the centre of the political spectrum I support Dion more than I do that Bush admiring Harper and would do anything to see him replace that dolt named Harper. Harper is basically a political manipulation. He is too easily manipulated to be a leader. First, he bends down to Bush, now he bends down to Quebec. What's next I wonder? Really, I don't see much life left in Mr. Harper. Dion has some great visions for all Canadians including good funding for the poor and the environment. If the Liberals weren't so corrupt, I'd actually be voting for them instead of the NDP.

The next election will be a repeat of 1993.

No offence but you sound young. What you are saying doesn't make any sense.

Linking Bush to Harper is so high school. That myth went out the door along with the rest of the Liberal fantasy called "hidden agenda".

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
No offence but you sound young. What you are saying doesn't make any sense.

Linking Bush to Harper is so high school. That myth went out the door along with the rest of the Liberal fantasy called "hidden agenda".

I'm sorry? Last time I checked the Conservatives ripped us off with the softwood dispute deal to please Bush the King.

crit13

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
Is that all you got? The softwood lumber dispute to link Bush and Harper? Surely you jest.

Okay, I'll play your little game. You give me one and I'll counter and we'll see who runs out of issues first.

The Liberal party followed Bush into a war in Afghanistan.