What do youth really need to tell the government?

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I know ...I know .this is probably a waste of time.. but youth need to get their opinions heard by the big bosses and c.e.o.s we should have a part in society that values our opinions... I do realise that alot of problems arise from teens and gangs... but we can only deal with that when the masses of schoolkids and teenagers actually appreciate the government.. when will that be.. when we have a honest one is what I think..:canada:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Youth don't really care about anything outside of their lives.

I am 24 and am an exception to that... but most people I know couldn't care less about the news or politics!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Even that fuddle-meister, Pierre Trudeau, said he didn't have a brain until he was 30. He, at least, nailed that one. A lot of kids have a sense of responsibility early and even more don't. Their views are important to government at all levels but youth will get a much more receptive ear when it's seen they're more proactive in their communities.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well my parents brought me up with a sense of interest in the world.

I still remember being 7 years old and watching CBC: The National every night at 10 pm...

Watching the news daily got me very involved with news & politics at a young age..

Was well aware of the issues around me by age 12..

Parents should instill a sense in their kids that its their duty to know whats happening in their country and world.

Force them to watch the news when their young... eventually they'll do it without being told!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well my parents brought me up with a sense of interest in the world.

I still remember being 7 years old and watching CBC: The National every night at 10 pm...

Watching the news daily got me very involved with news & politics at a young age..

Was well aware of the issues around me by age 12..
Even though it was biased, left wing, and all that? Wow. And look how YOU turned out. Hmmm.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Youth don't really care about anything outside of their lives.

I am 24 and am an exception to that... but most people I know couldn't care less about the news or politics!
WHAT!!!!!! I can't believe you just wrote that. A majority of your posts show that you don't think of anything outside of yourself. That was hilarious! Good one man...I think I shot milk out my nose about 2 metres!

Reactions: mapleleafgirl

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think what he meant to say was he expresses an interest in current events and politics, where as others his age do not. There's probably some truth to that. I don't know many people my age (and I'm only 3 years younger) that are that involved with the community.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I think youth are much more involved these days ,than when I was 18 ,the only aspect of government dealt with was osap ,parents would mutter this or that but were really not involving the kids ,class leader and then college voting introduced me to the choosing a "party" world .

The governments of the last 15 years have been sucking in our monies and giving back less and less in services ,it seems to about how the country looks on the world stage more than how the people are looked after ,by allowing children to join a political party at 14 16 is basically stealing a vote .We are becoming controlled thur money ,youth are under pressure from day one --counting finger toes ,tested for hearing ,expected to be toilet trained by 2 ,finished primary school by a certain age ,conform ,all conditioning for what ? oh to fit into a mold ,I'm not sure burdening youth with too much politics if they aren't ready is worth it ,I think it causes despair .

Imagine being 17 -18 finding out the very people that govern us steal from us ,take our money for their own pleasure ,then cost us more to seek out only a few ,this is what you will be dealing with" welcome" to the real world Son ,you either fight them ,join them or ignore them and pay as little tax as possible ,We are suppose to be able to trust these people and again an again they fail us ,how is youth to learn from government if the very government is suc\h a detrimental teacher ,tax breaks for rich ,seniors/ disabled live in poverty ,they (government)take away one thing by 30 % then give back 5% and were suppose to be fortunate . We seem to forget it is our money )

People use to be able to count on a sort of pension from government and work ,now they tell us to do it yourselves or starve ,work more hours at less pay and you will stay afloat. This new 10 .25 over 3 years by the time the 3 years creeps up we will need 12 -15 an hour to just survive ,All that will do is the people that would have got a reg raise wont .Penalize you for what you drive , the government should not penalize "control" ,make it look like the government brought in the clean air act ,mean while people have been sizing down their cars for 5 years on their own .

I don't see giving at all ,I see take take, take ,we are ones who fight to save forest ,who recycle ,who want a better world for others ,why do we not all have solar roofs ,why wasn't tons of money put into that in the 1970 ,because goverment could figure how to make money off it ,would that be better than encouraging us to use the light bulbs that look like they cause more waste and co st 5 time the amount of a reg bulb ---

sorry went off a bit this Am , but if only selve serving individuals get into office the Country is needing a wake up ,people who parade around like they are involved in politics cause they watched the news ,guess they didn't realize the new channels are owned, as well ,yep your involved and you're an exception ,

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
WHAT!!!!!! I can't believe you just wrote that. A majority of your posts show that you don't think of anything outside of yourself. That was hilarious! Good one man...I think I shot milk out my nose about 2 metres!

okay, you ready to be shocked..i agree with you 100%...if not about himself, hes yacking about tv. those seem to be his only interests, based on what he posts?:)

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
basically, most people my age dont give a damn about politics or the world around them.most of them are pretty sure it is gonna be a crappy future and so dont bother about anything outside of themselves. most of the girls i know are more concerned with what to wear to school and how cute this or that guy is instead of what goes in ottawa.

you know what, last week our can.studies teacher asked us who the prime minister was, who the govenor general was and who the head of state was. half the kids werent sure who the prime minister was. the guy that sits next to me said it was chretien. a few said paul martin and this dorky girl that sits in the back said she thinks it is pierre trudeau. over half the class didnt think the queen was our head of state and only three of us out of 28 knew who the governor general was.

but what does youth need? first, for adults to stop telling us what we need and shut up and listen to us. we mostly need a chance, especially with university coming up. somebody needs to get this huge cost in line with reality so we can afford to go. i dont know why canada cant have free unversity like other countries. education is our key to the future we are told in high school, but who the hell can afford to pay for this education?

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
true..

i agree.. and one thing ive noted thanks to a Dr.Suzuki is that universities (except a rare few) up the prices so much that when really talented students who want to change this world wind up with a "bad hand" in life... they never actually get to go...which makes the whole thing pointless because personally i want to go to MacMaster and... i know ill never be able to afford it ..

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
I would say the one thing that really needs to be shouted with a megaphone turned all the way up and .01 mm away from the collective ears of the Gov. IS QUIT PLAYING POLITICS, AND START DEMONSTRATING SOME REAL LEADERSHIP!!! The games and posturing we are all too familiar with are costing all of us, the cost of education is a big issue. So is the environment, the assault on the middle class, and over taxation in general, fiscal mis-management, lack of accountability, etc, etc, etc.

Reactions: hermanntrude

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
true.

they do have quite alot left to explain....like why its so hard to get medical treatment...not just here but all over, and the doctors who actually believe in theyre *hypocratic oath* i think thats what its called.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well Harper has actually reduced the wait times for 5 major surgeries since coming to office. I'd like to see that wait time reduction across the board, but all in good time I guess. Is medical treatment really the most pressing issue facing our youth?

I wish more young people would be interested in things like this. If youth understood our system better, they would be better equiped to organize upon entry to the voting public.

darleneonfire

Electoral Member
Jan 12, 2007
Ontario
I would say the one thing that really needs to be shouted with a megaphone turned all the way up and .01 mm away from the collective ears of the Gov. IS QUIT PLAYING POLITICS, AND START DEMONSTRATING SOME REAL LEADERSHIP!!! The games and posturing we are all too familiar with are costing all of us, the cost of education is a big issue. So is the environment, the assault on the middle class, and over taxation in general, fiscal mis-management, lack of accountability, etc, etc, etc.

Here's something that'll bother some of you..how about who gives a good poop what youth want? How about youth listening to their elders for a change??? Now there's a concept not popular with the PC browd:)

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Here's something that'll bother some of you..how about who gives a good poop what youth want? How about youth listening to their elders for a change??? Now there's a concept not popular with the PC browd

Actually i think youth has a decided advantage over some of us older folks, which is they are not indoctrined into the status quo at first. The impetuosness and inexperience of youth leads to innovation and experimentation, breeds new ideas that are not hindered by the existing established structure, and it brings the ability to adapt faster than some of us older folks. I also believe experience has no substitute, and combined the two can create great things.

I think the point of my earlier post may have been missed so what i was saying in short form is. Start running the country in a fiscally and socially responsible manor and do the job you were elected to do!

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Here's something that'll bother some of you..how about who gives a good poop what youth want? How about youth listening to their elders for a change??? Now there's a concept not popular with the PC browd:)

I tend to agree. Perhaps one of the biggest issues with young people today is this mistaken notion that they are the centre of the universe. Some of the old-fashioned values might very well be the ticket. That is, instead of trying to placate the youth, it might be time they start behaving and respecting their elders.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The youth of today didn't generate the sense that they're the center of the universe...the youth of today didn't thumb their noses for generations at the principles of honesty and integrity in government...the youth of today didn't create the imbalances that plague the world...the youth of today didn't create global warming...the youth of today have every right to be as mad as hell at the world and every adult in it.

We as adults abrogated our responsibilities to the earth and to our youth....