The coming budget and the Quebec election

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Will Harper be inlfuenced by the current Quebec election in his next federal budget due March 19th? Will he be more generous with Quebec then he would have been if Quebec was at the beginning of a 4 year Liberal mandate?

Right now, the polls indicate a very tight and unpredictable 3 way race:

33% PLQ (Parti Libéral du Québec)
30% PQ (Parti Québecois)
30% ADQ (Action Démocratique du Québec)

The Liberals are clearly federalists. The PQ is clearly sovereignist or seperatist if you prefer. The ADQ positions itself as autonomist (autonomy within Canada...no referendum in sight for the ADQ but definetely a reopening of the debate on the Constitution and the status of Quebec...).

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Well well look at this...

A fresh new poll gives these results...
32% PQ
30% PLQ
26% ADQ

2 weeks ago, many thought the PQ was outta the game... Looks like it was wishful thinking...

Will Harper add a couple millions towards Quebec in hope of boosting the Quebec Liberals?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Probably, there's nothing like handing out million dollar sookies to the cry babies of the country.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Either way it smells like crap and another election around the corner. Would like to see the ADQ for a change. I'll be voting for the one that has a better chance of beating the PQ. The dinosour party.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Probably, there's nothing like handing out million dollar sookies to the cry babies of the country.

And there's nothing like indignation from the ROC to fuel seperatist sentiment...

My crystal ball tells me there's going to be lots of action in the next 2 to 3 weeks both in Quebec and Ottawa...
Election in Quebec is on March 26th. And the Conservatives are getting ready for a federal election that might be triggered as soon as next week... following the budget...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And there's nothing like indignation from the ROC to fuel seperatist sentiment...

My crystal ball tells me there's going to be lots of action in the next 2 to 3 weeks both in Quebec and Ottawa...
Election in Quebec is on March 26th. And the Conservatives are getting ready for a federal election that might be triggered as soon as next week... following the budget...
And where does all the indignation in the roC come from, with regards to the seperatist movement and the whining province?

The whining province!

Or should it be made of gold?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I can't argue with Bear. Quebec does come off as a cry baby. The PQ has a habit of blaming others or Ottawa for they're problems, when they should look closley at they're own actions.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I can't argue with Bear. Quebec does come off as a cry baby. The PQ has a habit of blaming others or Ottawa for they're problems, when they should look closley at they're own actions.

Well you certainly can argue with me about that... I've had a couple discussions on the subject of Quebec and all I can say is that I am a fierce defender of Quebec's autonomy and independance. That doesn't mean I want Quebec to seperate. The Canada I wish for would be massively decentralized and no province would be waiting for ANY money from Ottawa.

Picturing Quebec as a cry baby is understandable from a centralist ROC point of view. But it's beside the point in my view. All Quebec wants is to be independant from the federal system where provincial duties are concerned.

Tell me, in the spirit of the confederation, why should any province be waiting for money or making deals with Ottawa concerning health and education when these are clearly provincial issues? Why is money being sent to Ottawa for these things when it could be kept in the province and be spent directly and more efficiently?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Picturing Quebec as a cry baby is understandable from a centralist ROC point of view. But it's beside the point in my view. All Quebec wants is to be independant from the federal system where provincial duties are concerned.
But not without holding your hand out for more from the rest of Canada.

Tell me, in the spirit of the confederation, why should any province be waiting for money or making deals with Ottawa concerning health and education when these are clearly provincial issues? Why is money being sent to Ottawa for these things when it could be kept in the province and be spent directly and more efficiently?
You make a good point. But it's lost in the meriad of tripe that emminates from the cry babies in Kebec.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Well you certainly can argue with me about that... I've had a couple discussions on the subject of Quebec and all I can say is that I am a fierce defender of Quebec's autonomy and independance. That doesn't mean I want Quebec to seperate. The Canada I wish for would be massively decentralized and no province would be waiting for ANY money from Ottawa.

On that issue its not only Quebec complaining . The decentralization of the Federal Government may just be around the corner.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
On that issue its not only Quebec complaining . The decentralization of the Federal Government may just be around the corner.

Well... I don't know if we will see a significant decentralization of the federal government anytime soon (I hope so) but the fact that not only Quebec is complaining is pretty much my point. Quebec has always been very vocal about its independance and it's usually why they pass as whiny cry-babies.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well... I don't know if we will see a significant decentralization of the federal government anytime soon (I hope so) but the fact that not only Quebec is complaining is pretty much my point. Quebec has always been very vocal about its independance and it's usually why they pass as whiny cry-babies.
No they pass as cry babies, because they continuously complain while standing hand out and recieving preferential treatment. Then start crying some more.

Kebec is the most atonomous province in Canada, and yet they still cry about how hard done by they are. What utter Bullshyte. Perhaps a military intervention is in order.

Good grief, the crying is deafening. It would almost be worth the effort to have them seperate, if I thought the flow of money would stop at the border of Ontario and the Republic of Kebecistan.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
So help me out guys, who should I vote for?

In my riding, it's either the PQ or the Liberals that will pass. I could never vote Liberal because right now they have absolutely no vision of how Quebec should find its place within Canada. They don't have the guts to tackle the constitutional issue.

I have sympathy for the PQ but I'm quite suspicious of their leader, André Boisclair. Furthermore, they refuse to give answers to the type of problems that would arise following a victorious referendum. What would we do if the Natives or the west of Quebec want to seperate and stay within Canada. How can we be coherent and force them to remain in Quebec? (We could not force them...). I'm more than open to the idea of a country of Quebec, I'm just afraid we'll end up with a country smaller and less powerful than the Quebec province as it is now.

What about the ADQ... Their autonomist postion should appeal to me, but the problem is that they are not clear at all on what autonomy within Canada should mean. What will they ask from Ottawa? What if Ottawa refuses?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
:laughing7:

You are of gold CDNBear!

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
You know you're my favourite Kebecer to debate Kebec with dontchya?

You have a sense of humour and intelligence to you, that far to many don't.