U.N. panel slams Canada for treatment of aboriginals

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
GENEVA (Reuters) - Canada needs to improve social services for its aboriginal population, particularly native women who face persistent and marked inequalities, a United Nations panel said on Friday.
The U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination found there was a "lack of substantial progress" in addressing discrimination against native communities within the officially multicultural country.

"The committee remains concerned at the extent of the dramatic inequality in living standards still experienced by aboriginal peoples," it said in a statement.

Stressing that native women make up "a disproportionate number of victims of violent death, rape and domestic violence," it recommended Ottawa improve services, including shelters and counseling, for victims of gender-based violence.

Canada's 1.3 million aboriginal residents make up about 4.4 percent of the population. Many live in abject poverty and their plight is a persistent embarrassment to what is one of the world's most advanced countries.

In Ottawa, the Conservative government blamed the previous Liberal administration, saying it had done little to help aboriginals when in power from 1993 to early 2006.

"For 13 years the Liberals paid lip service to aboriginals ... this (report reflects) an accumulation of years and years of blatant disregard for aboriginal issues," said Deirdra McCracken, a spokeswoman for Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice.

She said the Conservatives were committed to boosting the rights of aboriginal women and children as well as tackling the problem of contaminated water on native Indian reserves.

The U.N. committee periodically reviews all signatory states to the International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination.

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/ne...39_RTRIDST_0_CANADA-UN-DISCRIMINATION-COL.XML

snfu73

disturber of the peace
"In Ottawa, the Conservative government blamed the previous Liberal administration, saying it had done little to help aboriginals when in power from 1993 to early 2006."

That's ALL that Harper does...blame the liberals for EVERYTHING. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the liberal party, but come ON...the constant "It's the liberal's fault!" is getting old in a hurry. The conservatives have been in power now for over a year...no more of this it's the liberal's fault crap. Just start governing!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Why isn't the UN slamming the USA?

I know Canada treats our natives WAY better then the USA treats theirs.

We uphold our treaties, and no more... we already had a huge thread on this didn't we?

Why go past any more then our commitment through the treaties? We owe them to uphold the agreed upon treaties, but no more...

snfu73

disturber of the peace

We uphold our treaties, and no more... we already had a huge thread on this didn't we?

Why go past any more then our commitment through the treaties? We owe them to uphold the agreed upon treaties, but no more...
"ours"...."theirs". They aren't posessions mannn.

And...we hardly uphold our treaties, and that is the problem. If we upheld our treaties, things might be a whole lot better.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, question: what the heck are these treaties?

Why did our ancestor create this problem! Why couldn't they have won the land and not gone through diplomatic routes.

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if we cut all special treatment to the natives, and treated them like the rest of us? Would we have riots?

snfu73

disturber of the peace

Why did our ancestor create this problem! Why couldn't they have won the land and not gone through diplomatic routes.

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if we cut all special treatment to the natives, and treated them like the rest of us? Would we have riots?
Look...I think this will be a very interesting discussion/debate/argument. I have to go right now to pick up my wife at the bus station so I can't continue at the moment...but I will come back to this because there are a number of things I want to get to here. Talk to you soon.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
look forward to your debate!

OMG, you have a wife. That means your conservative. Only Conservative people marry.

The Liberal trend is to live with each other and not marry.

So that means you got to be a conservative! I like you!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What a bunch of rubbish!

The Department of Indian and Northern Affairs spent around eight billion dollars in the last year on behalf of the native community. This is about forty thousand dollars for every native family of four. If the money is not getting to all of the native population blame their chiefs. Canada is not neglecting her native population. We've given them self-determination. Unfortunately the chiefs have sabotaged the program.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"In Ottawa, the Conservative government blamed the previous Liberal administration, saying it had done little to help aboriginals when in power from 1993 to early 2006."

That's ALL that Harper does...blame the liberals for EVERYTHING. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the liberal party, but come ON...the constant "It's the liberal's fault!" is getting old in a hurry. The conservatives have been in power now for over a year...no more of this it's the liberal's fault crap. Just start governing!
That would be a good idea, I think he already has, on many issues, though I will agree that the blame the LPoC game is getting tiring, it is not without its realities, merits and truths.

Because UN is easily translated into US. (happy now ITN)

Yep.

We uphold our treaties, and no more...
No the Feds/provinces, don't, haven't.

To right the wrongs created by the system of theft and deciet. Fixing the outcome of the actions of past governments is a neccessity.

"ours"...."theirs". They aren't posessions mannn.
No, but we were charged with their care, by the Great Spirit.

And...we hardly uphold our treaties, and that is the problem. If we upheld our treaties, things might be a whole lot better.
Agreed.

You want numbers of treaties written, honoured, dishonoured, or contexts?

Because they knew they could get their collective asses handed to them easily had they tried to be militant about it.

Nope, war. One I would join in a heart beat and I'm not all that happy with militant Natives, so think about that.

What a bunch of rubbish!

The Department of Indian and Northern Affairs spent around eight billion dollars in the last year on behalf of the native community. This is about forty thousand dollars for every native family of four. If the money is not getting to all of the native population blame their chiefs. Canada is not neglecting her native population. We've given them self-determination. Unfortunately the chiefs have sabotaged the program.
I agree with your assertion about many of the Chiefs/Leaders, but you generalize to much.

As for the $40,000/year, you've made the same claim in just about every First Nations thread. Though I have exposed this assertion of yours to be blatantly misleading, you still post it as if it were fact, when in fact it is grossly prejudicial and false.

Once you factor in the services and requirements of the more remote reserves and the services on all reserves, that $10,000/per First Nations person, is decreased dramatically, not to mention the money skimmed right off the top by the MoIA.

So could you please explain how this is all rubbish?

Though I dissagree with the many of the claims in the article, your assertion that it is all rubbish and your claims of self determination(which does not properly describe what the government has given us) as somehow being the cause of this problem, is a tad off.

Last edited:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

Possibly. We did win the land, but in doing so, our former government(British) signed treaties which the Canadian government, upon its creation, choose to honour. Not uncommon. End of wars always bring some sort of agreements between former adversaries.

What justification would we now have to just wake up one day and declare all treaties null and void? Not a very responsbile way for government to behave I think!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
LOL! WHAT? Now the US controls the UN body? LOL!
I will go back and edit that comment, I'll change the font to sarcastic purple, so others aren't misled as you were, sorry 'bout that. lol.
Explain. I'd really like to hear this.
Do I really have to post the articles on the "Indian Wars" and the racism that percists against the Six Nations in New York, the Lakota of the midwest?

I'm sure I'll find a whole lot more if I go looking ITN.

IMHO, the First Nations in Canada, have been regarded and treated better then our south of the 49th counterparts.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I will go back and edit that comment, I'll change the font to sarcastic purple, so others aren't misled as you were, sorry 'bout that. lol.

Yes, please do that because you made me spit my coffee on my monitor (I'm sending you the bill btw) lol

Do I really have to post the articles on the "Indian Wars"

This thread isn't a history lesson. The UN is talking about current events. But go ahead and start a thread on the history of the indigenous peoples of North America, you'll find I'm in agreement.

and the racism that percists against the Six Nations in New York, the Lakota of the midwest?

Sure there is racism, how does that differ from Canada?

I'm sure I'll find a whole lot more if I go looking ITN.

IMHO, the First Nations in Canada, have been regarded and treated better then our south of the 49th counterparts.

Well keep looking, because what was the past was, the UN is talking about the present. While I have no faith in what the UN has to say, it isn't the first time a UN report has crticised Canada on the treatment of natives. Something is amiss.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, please do that because you made me spit my coffee on my monitor (I'm sending you the bill btw) lol
Done and done.

This thread isn't a history lesson. The UN is talking about current events. But go ahead and start a thread on the history of the indigenous peoples of North America, you'll find I'm in agreement.
True enough, but there are only two places I have been exposed to rampant racism my friend, Kebec and the US. Look I'm not condemning the US, but IMHO opinion, the Canadian record, past and present is better then the US's.

Sure there is racism, how does that differ from Canada?
It doesn't really. It doesn't matter how much far over the speed limit you go, it's still a crime, whether it be by 5 or 10 km/hr.

Well keep looking, because what was the past was, the UN is talking about the present. While I have no faith in what the UN has to say, it isn't the first time a UN report has crticised Canada on the treatment of natives. Something is amiss.
Your preaching to the choir here ITN. You will notice that I mentioned to juan that I dissagreed with much of the article and I do.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
CDNBear

Don't go too far, how many posters on this thread have even acknowledged there is a problem in Canada? The sterotypical Canadian response is almost always, we do better than the US, so all problems solved eh?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CDNBear

Don't go too far, how many posters on this thread have even acknowledged there is a problem in Canada? The sterotypical Canadian response is almost always, we do better than the US, so all problems solved eh?
True enough and you caught me in that, well a bit anyways.

You and I both know, that Canada, is not as pristine as it's citizens would believe or would have the world believe.

I have experienced racism here, that would likely break the will of a weaker man. That is likely the cause of alot of the woes and reverse racism that permiates the rez.

Canada is woefully lacking in its commitments, and it's obligations to the Native Community. And although I personally feel that Canada is doing better at it then the US, I'm not in the US and I am going on second hand information.

Do I feel that the UN is correct in its findings? Much like you, I put very little faith in the UN and in fact, I have found fault in every Indigenous Peoples paper/resolution/finding/recommendation, they have put out.

Their actions seem more to the benefit optics and are tantammount to to truck loads of BS.

Self determination is a pipe dream, we haven't reached that level of maturity yet. Anyone that thinks the "self determination" we have no is, actually that, they are sorely mistaken.

Those Nations, councils, Reserves that have Incorporated and recieved the anointment of "self determination, have sold their souls to the church of MoIA. They have no greater control over themselves then a convict does, behind bars.

Their incorporating themselves is in fact, their way of settling accounts with the MoIA, and being given a finite set of rules to live by, by the MoIA. How is that "self determination"? We're still living under the rules of the government. In this case, I would say that the US is further ahead then us, in their attempt to get the Native community to take responsiblity for themselves.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
GENEVA (Reuters) - Canada needs to improve social services for its aboriginal population, particularly native women who face persistent and marked inequalities, a United Nations panel said on Friday.
The U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination found there was a "lack of substantial progress" in addressing discrimination against native communities within the officially multicultural country.

"The committee remains concerned at the extent of the dramatic inequality in living standards still experienced by aboriginal peoples," it said in a statement.

Stressing that native women make up "a disproportionate number of victims of violent death, rape and domestic violence," it recommended Ottawa improve services, including shelters and counseling, for victims of gender-based violence.

Canada's 1.3 million aboriginal residents make up about 4.4 percent of the population. Many live in abject poverty and their plight is a persistent embarrassment to what is one of the world's most advanced countries.

In Ottawa, the Conservative government blamed the previous Liberal administration, saying it had done little to help aboriginals when in power from 1993 to early 2006.

"For 13 years the Liberals paid lip service to aboriginals ... this (report reflects) an accumulation of years and years of blatant disregard for aboriginal issues," said Deirdra McCracken, a spokeswoman for Indian Affairs Minister Jim Prentice.

She said the Conservatives were committed to boosting the rights of aboriginal women and children as well as tackling the problem of contaminated water on native Indian reserves.

The U.N. committee periodically reviews all signatory states to the International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination.

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/ne...39_RTRIDST_0_CANADA-UN-DISCRIMINATION-COL.XML

Not really surprised, and at the same time, i am not sure, if the conservatives governement will be better.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Discrimination is rampant world-wide. Canada does try harder than most. I think that's self-evident. The UN panel must have millions of instances in its data banks of such global discrimination. I'm still more concerned with the persistent charges that UN personnel entering fragile areas are amongst the most aggressive abusers of young women and girls in those regions. What's the UN done to clean up its sordid reputation?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Discrimination is rampant world-wide. Canada does try harder than most. I think that's self-evident. The UN panel must have millions of instances in its data banks of such global discrimination. I'm still more concerned with the persistent charges that UN personnel entering fragile areas are amongst the most aggressive abusers of young women and girls in those regions. What's the UN done to clean up its sordid reputation?

Tamarin

That was an excellent question and one which resonated through my empty head!

The U.N. taking potshots at a democratic nation who is at the top of the list in humane and ongoing effort to raise the standard of living for all its current citizens and the original citizens, and the newcomers alike.

Sounds like one of those reports published in a "make like I'm busy" fashion by some dude who's English and French is wanting.....not to mention his/her deductive reasoning.

In other words a typical U.N. diplomat's lackey.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, you're right. As a result of endemic problems at the global group, I don't think many people take the organization seriously anymore. Granted it is needed but it also greatly needs reform. To lecture Canada is a giggle when so much blatant abuse is found in the UN's membership. And I don't think many First Nations would disagree that their key grievance is with native leadership and community role models.