Government legitimacy

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes.

For example, in the Canadian and British systems, a government is a collection of members of parliament, each one of whom is elected in his/her riding by being the one with the most votes.

So you do the math.

Your trouble is probably that you're trying to stretch the meaning of "legitimate" to suit your own preferences.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Yes.

For example, in the Canadian and British systems, a government is a collection of members of parliament, each one of whom is elected in his/her riding by being the one with the most votes.

So you do the math.

Your trouble is probably that you're trying to stretch the meaning of "legitimate" to suit your own preferences.

Here is some math,

In the general election of 2000 the party that formed the majority government was NOT supported by 3 out of 4 electors.

How low can a government’s electoral support go before it becomes illegitimate?

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
Here is some math,

In the general election of 2000 the party that formed the majority government was NOT supported by 3 out of 4 electors.

That's not how our system works. Clearly the current government is legitimate according to our electoral system.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here is some math,

Re-read my post. You are stretching the meaning of illegitimate to suit your needs.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's pretty hard to get 50% plus of the votes in a multi-party system. It's like big brother complaining when his five siblings make it impossible for him to ever eat half of the dinner pie.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Re-read my post. You are stretching the meaning of illegitimate to suit your needs.

I am asking a simple question. FPTP was created back in the days when there were two candidates in each riding, Whig and Tory. With the introduction of more than two parties odd results like the 2000 election start to occur.

With more parties arising and with declining voter participation at what point do we say that it is time for electoral reform?

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Our suggestion is this:

1. Directly elect the PM as the head of the government
2. Make the house independent from the government

The voters are free to compose the house how they wish (assuming a proper electoral system like STV that represents their wishes fairly). There may be a party with a majority of votes, or a bunch of minority groups. Each bill will force the people in the house during debate to decide on how to align themselves for or against the bill. Any time a bill is passed it will be by a majority and hence is legitimate. Is this not legitimate governance?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You changed your website to write out that blatant admission of the coming corporate rule. What affiliations does the Atlantica party have in this region and the northeastern states?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Monday, November 13th, 2006...6:23 am

Atlantica Centre for Energy reveals Board members

Tim Curry, President, gave his statement at the NEB supporting the Emera Brunswick Pipeline Co. on Saturday. While he was sworn in he was asked how the Center was funded and who was on its Board. Mr. Curry refused to reveal how the Center gets its money other from membership fees but read these names out as Board members:
John Adams, representing Jacques Whitford
Bill Artiss (Deputy Mayor of Rothesay)
Steve Carson (President of Enterprise Saint John)
Tim Curry, representing TLC Solutions Ltd. (President of the center also)
John Ferguson; (City Councillor, Saint John)
Neil Jacobsen (Chief Operating Officer,Enterprise Saint John)
David Lawrence, representing the Floating Pipeline Company Incorporated;
Stephen MacMackin (Chairman of this Board)
Jeff Matthews, representing Irving Oil Limited
Gordon Mouland, representing Fundy Engineering & Consulting Ltd
Wayne Power, representing JD Irving Limited

Filed under Proponents, Energy

_qacct="p-18-mFEk4J448M";quantserve();

st_go({blog:'512667',v:'wpcom',post:'19',subd:'atlanticainfo',x_theme:'pressrow'}); addLoadEvent(function(){linktracker_init(512667,19);});

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I know some of those people personally, it's an odd combination of folks.

I would be surprised if some of them supported directly electing the PM.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I like the Australian system, or at least how someone described the Australian system to me. In Canada, I find it somewhat vague who or what I am voting for. Is it a candidate or a party? I conclude that it must be a candidate, because the Green party received something like 5% of the votes and does not hold 5% of the seats. Yet, someone crosses the floor and people are up in arms, so I find it a little confusing.

In Australia, apparently you vote for a party and the number of seats they get is proportional to their vote.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Why don't you explain your platform which seems to litgitimatize corporate rule.

You changed your website to write out that blatant admission of the coming corporate rule. What affiliations does the Atlantica party have in this region and the northeastern states?

Simple, none.

Please get your facts straight. Here is our website, www.atlanticaparty.ca

The Atlantica Party is completely independent. We are not affiliated with nor receive funding from any corporations, special interest groups, other political parties, or any level of government. And never will.

We are unaffiliated private citizens trying to improve the common good of Atlantic Canada. We are not affiliated with AIMS or the Atlantica Trade zone.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
As soon as your party or any party makes "minimum wage" an issue then I'd be interested...

If a person with no qualifications (Stephen Harper comes to mind) can run for office and be elected...shouldn't that person receive minimum wage for a year or two...?

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
I like the Australian system, or at least how someone described the Australian system to me. In Canada, I find it somewhat vague who or what I am voting for. Is it a candidate or a party? I conclude that it must be a candidate, because the Green party received something like 5% of the votes and does not hold 5% of the seats. Yet, someone crosses the floor and people are up in arms, so I find it a little confusing.

In Australia, apparently you vote for a party and the number of seats they get is proportional to their vote.

That is one of the limitations of our system. When you vote you are simultaneously picking a Premier, a party and a local rep. It would be better to disentangle these so that the voters could more clearly indicate their preferences. Electing the Premier directly and having a more open electoral system accomplishes this.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The day a poor man makes it into the Canadian system is the day I'd give you two cents for anything coming out of the mouths of the nabobs and crooks that run this nation...

Go back to your "party" friends and tell them that if they're honest about changing the system they'll excercise restraint and lead by example...no huge wages and no golden parchute waiting at the end of six years of slurping at the trough...

Unless of course your pals are just the same as every other political "party"....Party down on the Canadian taxpayer ....