Stephane Who?

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
More Liberal Larceny from those whose sole desire is to put their hand back in your wallet. . . .

Charles Adler - Monday, 26 February 2007 - You don't have to be the second coming of Sigmund Freud, Xaviera Hollander, or Dr Ruth to declare that Dion has been having a sexless honeymoon. This shouldn't surprise educated political observers. Dion wasn't supposed to win the big prize at the gathering of Grits in Montreal.

The consensus opinion emerging from the convention was that Dion won the leadership not because of who he was but rather because of who he wasn't. He wasn't a tourist in the Federal wing of the Liberal Party. He hadn't crossed the floor like Scott Brison He had recently crossed over from provincial politics like Gerard Kennedy. He hadn't crossed over from Harvard, like Michael Ignatieff, from the NDP like Bob Rae, and from the planet pucko, like Ken Dryden. Dion was not a crossover artist. He had a legitimate federal Liberal pedigree, having paid his dues in several governments and having fought the separatist scourge while serving as Unity minister and helping to shepherd the controversial Clarity act, that great big airbag that prevents us from banging heads into the dashboard labelled"Canadian Armageddon."

There is a significant problem faced by any leader who assumes control of a machine because of who he isn't. He gets tagged with the surname nobody wants to wear. It's a three letter word that begins with "w" and rhymes with boo. Remember Joe Who? Joe Clark received that crown of thorns more than three decades ago and when his obituary is written, it will be said that a Conservative leadership convention in the 1970's was won by a man who inspired less enthusiasm in Canadian voters than the sight of rats in a New York City Taco Bell.

Stephane Dion has been branded the Francophone Joe Clark by Canada's punditocracy. It is not exclusively because he wasn't supposed to win the leadership but did. It's also because he seems to have a tin ear on the central issues of our times. He is trying to be the green guy. But he cannot seem to be explain why he wasn't able to colour the Liberal agenda green when he was the minister of the environment. He was part of the government that signed the Kyoto Protocol. In recent days, Jean Chretien's number one advisor, Eddie Goldenberg spilled the beans. The Liberals signed Kyoto but they had no intention of fulfilling the bargain. It was just another piece of Liberal larceny, making Dion just another passenger in the getaway car.

On the issue of investigating and apprehending terrorists, Dion has been caught terrorizing his own caucus into taking his position, despite the best judgments of Irwin Cotler and John Manley and others who served in the Chretien government which responded appropriately to September 11th by giving police special investigative authority. Dion's ideas on how to catch terrorists have also been caught up in the webbing of the RCMP investigation into the Air India mass murder. Relatives of Air India victims have been seen embracing Stephen Harper in his attempt to keep the Chretien legislation in place, while Dion has been whipping his caucus into defanging several key measures of that same body of law.

There is one upside to being Stephane Dion. Expectations are low. If he manages in the next few months to lose an election that still deprives Harper of his coveted majority, some will conclude that Dion has achieved some success. When you're a political who, people don't ask for much.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Is that Charles Adler from CJOB 68 - 680 AM Winnipeg? Talk radio.

If so, I like the author of the story.

I dislike Stephane Dion

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I think "not being able to colour the agenda green" was the fault of the way he got the position, how long he was in the position, and the overall climate at that time politics wise...

I find it funny that somehow Dion is a "failure" at something he never even got a shot at, whereas somehow the current government is like the northern wing of the F-ing Sierra Club thanks to a few things Harpers advisers told him to say, it's pretty silly

I suppose since Dion has never been the Prime Minister, he is prety much unqualified for the position, good thing Harper was the Prime minister for so long before he got elected eh?

EDIT- oh and you might wanna look up larceny, using words where they make NO sense doesn't really make for compelling arguments

Reactions: Tonington

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
hmmm, let's see. . . .

EDIT- oh and you might wanna look up larceny, using words where they make NO sense doesn't really make for compelling arguments
lar·ce·ny /ˈlɑr
ni/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lahr-suh-nee] noun, plural -nies. Law. the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods of another from his or her possession with intent to convert them to the taker's own use.
'nother
The unlawful taking and removing of another's personal property with the intent of permanently depriving the owner; theft.
in other words - Liberal Party of Canada = larcener, thief, carpetbagger, swindler, despoiler, etc etc and so on and so forth and more of the same and ditto too - I'm sure you get the idea - but,

where oh where do the pedants come from I ask. . . .

and furthermore and without boocoo de fanfare or ado,

It was just another piece of Liberal larceny, making Dion just another passenger in the getaway car.
do ya geddit? :lol:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
If Dion is so insignificant then why is there such a highly coordinated and expensive campaign in action to smear him. The Conservatives even bought expensive air time during the Super Bowl, these are actions of a party on the run.

Dion just has to weather the storm then let the Conservatives self-destruct during the next election. As hard as he tries Harper won't be able to keep his MPS out of the press now that they're in office. Just a few stupid comments like the Stockwell Days' "spear-chucker" episode and the voters will see just what a hollow bunch the Conservatives are.

edit-What's been going on is the political equivalent of schoolyard bullying. Harper thinks if he just keeps beating on the new kid with glasses, he get to keep his popularity. I'm surprised people are buying into this juvenile crap.

Meanwhile important issues are allowed to drift once again while the party in office is only focused on playing politcal games. Considering all the self-righteous B.S. we had to listen to when the Conservatives(and Reform/Alliance)were in opposition and the pain in the ass Christmas election last year, we deserve better than this. I know how I'm voting come election time, and it's not how some slick media blitz is trying to tell me to.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowles

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
EXCELLENT post Cobalt Kid- I don't see how this fact can be so roundly ignored, it's PRETTY clear that the swift-boating is WELL underway, all the while Harper disingenuously mouths garbage about "not wanting an election"- then WHAT is with the attack ads?? I still don't get how such attempted, baseless character assasination is even allowed, but oh well

Karra- I get that you are a semingly robotic mouthpiece, as conflating EVERY action of a particular party with one broad obvious weasel word has no value for actual thinking people, same as the "taliban Jack" garbage of a few months ago- I have no love for Jack Layton necessarily, but the fact that he "supports the Taliban" has become some kind of "truth" simply by repetition is just plain silly.

Much like how "that's unfair" is now supposed to sum up Dion. I bet if any of us were the target of a multi-million dollar campaign to discredit us, a suitable soundbite could be dummied up and then with the proper scary music and carefully chosen language (and of course solid rotation and careful placement of the spots on TV) we could ALL be made to look like whatever the money behind it wants it to appear...

Who knows, maybe I could find a 2 or three word phrase that say Karra has used, and continue to quote it every time I disagree with you as if it meant something because HEY, it might not have had ANYTHING to do with anything being discussed, but you DID use that phrase- does this make it true I wonder??

I'm sure that makes no sense, you couldn't even understand how "larceny" had nothing whatsoever to do with your post (besides your own delusional connections, which I understand can be hard to shake)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When it comes to politics, Harper beats Dion 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Harper has a tight control on his party, Dion doesn't have that control, evident with the terror laws and I think even the SSM vote had some controversy over how Dion would allow the vote to proceed. Though I suspect the Liberals may use a familiar trick in the election and showcase what a focus on terror gets you (American mid-term elections). These instances show the Canadian public that the Liberals lack cohesion and Harper's political savvy trumps. The election, whenever that is, should be interesting and at the same time nauseating.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
EXCELLENT post Cobalt Kid- I don't see how this fact can be so roundly ignored, it's PRETTY clear that the swift-boating is WELL underway, all the while Harper disingenuously mouths garbage about "not wanting an election"- then WHAT is with the attack ads?? I still don't get how such attempted, baseless character assasination is even allowed, but oh well

Yup, the same people who've been twisting the truth down south for Bush are now advising our PM.

My respect for Dion is actually going up for not joining in the mudfest. He represents Canadian values more closely than Bushs' little puppet PM.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yup, the same people who've been twisting the truth down south for Bush are now advising our PM.

My respect for Dion is actually going up for not joining in the mudfest. He represents Canadian values more closely than Bushs' little puppet PM.
You mean mudfest as in...

The Conservative...

"Hidden agenda"
"Armed Soldiers on our city streets"
etc.

You mean that kind of mudfest???

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
When it comes to politics, Harper beats Dion 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Harper has a tight control on his party, Dion doesn't have that control, evident with the terror laws and I think even the SSM vote had some controversy over how Dion would allow the vote to proceed. Though I suspect the Liberals may use a familiar trick in the election and showcase what a focus on terror gets you (American mid-term elections). These instances show the Canadian public that the Liberals lack cohesion and Harper's political savvy trumps. The election, whenever that is, should be interesting and at the same time nauseating.

Harpers tight control is great if you want to have a dictatorship. Some of the same conditions that led to abuses of power in the Cretien government are being created again. We're being told once again to "just trust us". You don't need to have the press at the airport when the bodies of Canadian troops come home. You don't need to have access to Cabinet Ministers to find out what's actually going on in government. You don't need real press conferences, just supply a list to the PMO and we'll decide what's important, after all we know better than anyone. This from a party that was elected to make government more accountable???

That alone is going to lose them a lot of support. Many people didn't vote for the Conservatives last election, they voted against the Liberals. Now the shoe is on the other foot when it comes to abuse of power. If they see the PMO acting with the same arrogance the Liberals did they're going to take their vote elsewhere.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Dion, has no control over his party.

The Conservatives have done a great job of getting his impression intact with the ignorants.

Face it, alot of people are ignorant to politics and vote blindly... and to the average joe, the impression of Dion is:

1) Barely speaks English
2) Can't make descision
3) Can't debate: "This is unfair! This is unfair!"
4) Can't control party
5) Can't relate to people

Dion, doesn't have a good impression with the general ignorant public.

The Libs. made a bad choice IMO, and they will pay with it by handing Harper another minority or barely majority.

I like minorities though, the keep people accountable.

Regardless of party, when you have had a majority and go into your 2nd majority your corrupt as heck... look at Mulroney and Chretien... CORRUPTION!

ONCE AGAIN IS THE AUTHOR OF THIS ARTICLE CHARLES ADLER FROM CJOB 68, 680 AM WINNIPEG!!?

I really want to know.. because if it is, I like the guy.