Is it time to abolish parliament?

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
There are many advantages to abolishing parliament (and the senate):
1. Save many tens of millions of dollars a year, over 100 million for MP salaries and expenses alone, (salaries, staff, offices, travel, The Library, … ) Money that could be put towards programs for poorer Canadians.
2. Speed the implementation of bills by allowing smaller committees of only civil servants and ruling party members to hash out policy.
3. Help the PMO and ruling party focus more on policy, less on politics.
4. Free the media (and the public) from having to focus on parliament and the senate.
5. A more effective elimination process for private-member bills and opposition motions not supported by the PMO and the ruling party; they simply never occur.
6. Raise the standard of politics by eliminating the ineffectual debates in parliament and the senate.
7. Allows for fewer active members of the majority party since backbenchers are no longer needed.
8. It frees the government from stall tactics and criticism by the opposition until the next election.
9. Allows the PMO and the ruling party to finally consolidate power allowing more efficient governance.
10. Opposition MPs and senators would be freed to return to a more productive private life.
11. The parliamentary buildings could be put to a more useful role.

Abolishing parliament seems a logical step for our current system, doesn’t it?

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Hello Mr /Ms Atlantic

Any ideas ??

Plus we cant get the gov to agree to disagree, how on earth does on abolish such a horrible outfit

Ive never seen A slower way of getting things done that the governments system

can we vote to abolish ??

I'm wondering if we could start on voting via computer/ phone ON major issues

actual Canadians citizens being asked what the need or want --Imagine then what ever the majority wants is enacted immediately --lol

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Hello Mr /Ms Atlantic

Any ideas ??

Plus we cant get the gov to agree to disagree, how on earth does on abolish such a horrible outfit

Ive never seen A slower way of getting things done that the governments system

can we vote to abolish ??

I'm wondering if we could start on voting via computer/ phone ON major issues

actual Canadians citizens being asked what the need or want --Imagine then what ever the majority wants is enacted immediately --lol

I disagree. I think the parliamentary system is the most refined and sensible form of government on the planet. We are asked what we want by voting for the party we feel will best represent our interests as citizens. Individual voting on each and every bit of legislation would severly slow down the working of the government. Most of the bills the government works on would not interested the majority of the people. Plus, let's be honest, judging by voter turn-out at elections, we'd never get a majority opinion on anything;-)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think we should start with abolshing the stupidity, then go from there.

But then again, what would be left after all the asshats where barred from Parliament???

The place would be a vaccuous as the heads of the politicians that inhabit the joint.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I think we should start with abolshing the stupidity, then go from there.

But then again, what would be left after all the asshats where barred from Parliament???

The place would be a vaccuous as the heads of the politicians that inhabit the joint.

Indeed! Maybe that could clear the decks to vote real people into Parliament instead of professional politicians! I would certainly vote for you Bear!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Indeed! Maybe that could clear the decks to vote real people into Parliament instead of professional politicians! I would certainly vote for you Bear!
ME!!!

No way, I wouldn't live in a country that would have me as a "Dear Leader"!!!

I'ld move!!!

Can you say benevolent Dictator???

lol, thanx though.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
I disagree. I think the parliamentary system is the most refined and sensible form of government on the planet. We are asked what we want by voting for the party we feel will best represent our interests as citizens. Individual voting on each and every bit of legislation would severly slow down the working of the government. Most of the bills the government works on would not interested the majority of the people. Plus, let's be honest, judging by voter turn-out at elections, we'd never get a majority opinion on anything;-)

We are glad you disagree!

It was an ironic question.

But you see the point. If you do not think political reform is needed and that the current role of the legislature is just fine, then why not go for abolishment?
If you like the idea of *substantive* debate in legislatures then you need to push for reform; for starters not allowing the executive to control the legislature, for a sharing of powers between the two.

There is no middle ground, no status quo.

The concept of parliament is one of the West's most glorious political achievements. That is why TAP wants to fight for it and has political reforms geared towards increasing and institutionalizing *substantive* debate in our legislatures, both federally and provincially.

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
And then what or who runs things ?

The government as always (PMO and civil servants). Remember that the parliament is not the government, it is a separate institution originally intended to oversee and restrain the government by forcing the government to submit its bills for open free debate and then either saying yea or nay to them.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
We are glad you disagree!

It was an ironic question.

But you see the point. If you do not think political reform is needed and that the current role of the legislature is just fine, then why not go for abolishment?
If you like the idea of *substantive* debate in legislatures then you need to push for reform; for starters not allowing the executive to control the legislature, for a sharing of powers between the two.

There is no middle ground, no status quo.

The concept of parliament is one of the West's most glorious political achievements. That is why TAP wants to fight for it and has political reforms geared towards increasing and institutionalizing *substantive* debate in our legislatures, both federally and provincially.

Why abolish it? Again, what is to replace it if we abolish Parliament?

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
ME!!!

No way, I wouldn't live in a country that would have me as a "Dear Leader"!!!

I'ld move!!!

Can you say benevolent Dictator???

lol, thanx though.

Don't get ahead of your self, hun. I didn't say I'd vote for you as PM. I was thinking as an MP:) Hmmmm.....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the swiss have an oligarchy don't they? something like a committee of seven? A good compromise between a polyarchy (too disorganised to work properly) and a monarchy (dangerous if the monarch is crazy or weak or stupid)

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
the swiss have an oligarchy don't they? something like a committee of seven? A good compromise between a polyarchy (too disorganised to work properly) and a monarchy (dangerous if the monarch is crazy or weak or stupid)

Do they have a monarch or a President?

Off-topic, I like your new avatar Hermann!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Parliament has worked pretty well for Canada for the last 140 years. It isn't perfect but name a government in the world that is. You want to abolish parliament as well as the senate? What would you replace them with? Or would you leave the country in the charge of the bureaucrats without any control? I think you have to work on your plan a bit.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I would not abolish anything... but I would reform the way Gov. works.... REFORM BIG TIME

Set elections happen every FOUR years... 5 is to long.

Senators get regions and have to run for an election, and they are divided into the political parties. Senators go up for re-election, at the second election that occurs while they are in office.

Provinces get more power (some how equate this), like states do.

Issues of contreversial value have to be voted on BY THE PEOPLE... any legislation, a party can vote to enact a contreversy electory clause (somethin' like that). But these contreversial issue elections could only be held during a federal election. Meaning when a party was booted for a fed. election, they could have one last piece of legislation to put certain issues on the ballot.
Meaning, abortion, same-sex marriage, Quebec, etc... would be decided by the majority of voters, and no more anger about the gov. taking it into their own hands.

Sometimes I may like a NDP MP but I would like Conservative party... so I say the Prime Minister would be voted on separately. Meaning I could vote Harper, and choose a NDP MP to rep. my region. The reason I say this, is someone may like Harper, but they can't stand their local conservative MP.

Those are some of my ideas.. to get this country crakin'!

atlanticaparty

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2006
www.atlanticaparty.ca
Why abolish it? Again, what is to replace it if we abolish Parliament?

The intent of the question is to replace parliament with nothing. Effectively eliminate the legislature portion of our political process and just let the government (that is the executive) govern unhindered by ineffective opposition.

The point in asking the question is to show that parliament, as it exists, is ineffective so why not just get rid to it altogether. Another way of asking this is how would things be any different if we did abolish parliament? Very little.