Why do our SIN numbers have to be on pieces of Taxation mail ,anyone could steal

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006

Is this true ??,stuff like this happens all the time? ,we must have total blinders on ,yes or have they the "me thing " so overwhelming that we don't care about anything???

reminds me of why our sin numbers are on ever piece of tax paper that comes in to our mail box, DUH

<H3>NDP MPs Davies and Dewar raise concerns over changes to Elections Act

OTTAWA – Strict changes to the requirement for voter identification could disenfranchise thousands of voters, say two NDP MPs. Paul Dewar (Ottawa Centre) and Libby Davies (Vancouver East) are raising concerns today about Bill C-31, an Act to amend the Canada Elections Act and the Public Service Employment Act.
The NDP is also concerned that Elections Canada will now have the authority to collect and share the birth date information of Canadian voters.
“We have to protect the integrity of the voting system,” said Davies. “New requirements for voter I.D. will add further barriers to voting for marginalized, low-income people, and seriously undermine the right to vote,” added Davies, whose riding includes the Downtown East Side, where hundreds of people live in homeless shelters and rooming homes.
The proposed legislation also raises concerns about data sharing and confidentiality.
“The Conservative bill would require electors’ birth date information to be shared with Elections Canada,” said Dewar. “Compounding this potential breach of privacy was the Bloc amendment at Committee, supported by the Liberals and Conservatives, to allow the information to be shared with all registered political parties. Why do political parties need our birth dates? I am convinced that ordinary Canadians would not welcome this intrusion into their privacy. The NDP is committed to stopping the ever-widening distribution of such a large amount of data.”
The Bill is at third reading stage and, if passed, would be in effect for the next federal election
</H3>

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Considering how secretive and private our SIN numbers, credit card numbers and other personal information is, it is readily plastered on our bills and in our daily lives, out there for everyone to see. As tax season gets upon us I expect to see the numbers of identity theft increase, since they have all of your pertinent information (including SIN) plastered at the top of a distinct looking form in a distinct looking package that is sent through the regular mail.

Reminds me of a story: I remember signing people up for cell phones, and the pieces of ID you can use include: driver's licence, SIN card, status card, birth certificate, credit card, blank cheque, etc. Between the sign-up process and the Moneris machine (the little machine that prints out the receipts when you use debit or credit card), your personal information was published twice on the computer, three times on the paper contract, once on the Moneris machine, and once on the POS (point of sale system, or the cash register). We kept all the receipt in a box in the backroom, and it would be all too easy to just go back there, pull out a daily envelope of receipts, and steal dozens of credit card, SIN card and other sensitive information with little to no effort.

I don't get why the cell phone companies and the Moneris machine felt the need to print out that information with the contract; they had already run the information, and putting it on there served no purpose to us on the end of the transaction.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
If this is in its 3rd reading in the house we should contact our senators with out objections and as I have mentioned before, the only way to change things is to flood our representatives with phone call and e-mails against this Bill. I sure a h*** object to my personal information being shared.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
thats some good points about our sin numbers. why does everyone always ask for it too. are we supposed to just give it out to anybody who askes for it?

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
thats some good points about our sin numbers. why does everyone always ask for it too. are we supposed to just give it out to anybody who askes for it?

You are not required to give out your SIN number to anybody for any reason, except to banks and government sources.

groovy

Feb 19, 2007
Ontario
You are not required to give out your SIN number to anybody for any reason, except to banks and government sources.

It's our mark of the beast. Government needs to keep its eye on where we are and what we do. When i'm asked this question for my SIN, I purposely make one up.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
what exactly can someone do with a SIN number though? You couldn't set up a bank account, or get into an existing one... it'd be useful in conjunction with other things but those things are more secret... eg passports, birth certificates...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The only legal reason anyone has to ask for your SIN is for financial things that involve taxes, ie, bank accounts and jobs.

Anything else is not required, and in fact of questionable legality.