Dion slams Tory attack ads; wants Harper to withdraw them as matter of honour

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
TORONTO (CP) - Liberal Leader Stephane Dion slammed Tory attacks today in a campaign-style stop at a child-care centre in Toronto.
Dion called on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to withdraw the ads as a matter of honour and decency. The commercials target both Dion and former finance minister Ralph Goodale. One of the ads, which prominently feature Liberal red colours, associates Dion with the sponsorship scandal and a backward looking politician.
Another implies that Goodale was implicated in the leak of a tax announcement on income trusts.
Dion took pains to defend his former cabinet colleague as an honest politician.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Granted, the ads are juvenile and do bring the Conservatives into disrepute. Where can an exasperated voter turn? Dion as a leader simply doesn't inspire. I think he's a decent guy but he's not a front man. Harper is slick and not that likeable. Yet he leads a party Canadians are still intrigued about. Other party leaders just aren't taken seriously. Not much choice here. I wonder what the voter turnout come election time will be.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
You know, people would take the Conservatives a lot more seriously if they didn't have such a bloody man-crush on the Liberal party. I mean, every sound bite, every ad, every press conference, every worldwise summit I've ever seen is just another pot shot at Liberals, completely deflective and self-aggrandizing.

Steve-O, people voted to see if you could lead, not be an anti-cheerleader! The Conservative run, to this point, has been weak, childish and without substance, a true 'era of big-talk'.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Id take the NDP more seriously if they would put people with IQ's over 40 to be their mouthpieces, good idea..people I wouldn't elect to tie their own shoes espouse them, mixed in with some of the dumbest "ideas" I can think of.

Liberals have a bad case of head in ass itis, trying to dictate what people will vote for, rather than put forth things things people WANT to vote for.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I'm not sure any of them have any couth , its getting to look like they think were stupid ,I think the commercials are aimed at a audience that is raw or primitive ,is that how are elected government sees Canadians --I'm totally insulted and wont vote Lib or Con ever again any suggestions -=-lol

If we stop voting will they go away ?? lol

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
You know, people would take the Conservatives a lot more seriously if they didn't have such a bloody man-crush on the Liberal party. I mean, every sound bite, every ad, every press conference, every worldwise summit I've ever seen is just another pot shot at Liberals, completely deflective and self-aggrandizing.

Steve-O, people voted to see if you could lead, not be an anti-cheerleader! The Conservative run, to this point, has been weak, childish and without substance, a true 'era of big-talk'.

Yah, what a waste of an opportunity. People elected the Conservatives for a new approach to politics, not to see how well Harper had mastered playing political games.

He gets praised for doing many of the same things that angered so many people under the Liberals. It would be nice to finally get a party that actually wants to lead instead of acquire power.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Harper is slick and not that likeable. Yet he leads a party Canadians are still intrigued about.

I think mystified would be a better description. Harper keeps such tight control of information coming out of is government that it's very hard to know what they're up to. He's eliminated access to his ministers and reporters now have to submit a list a questions to his office before they can interview him. Personally I don't find the Conservatives intriguing, I find their desire for control frightening.