The rise of Quebecistan

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The rise of Quebecistan

Barbara Kay, National Post

Published: Wednesday, August 09, 2006
MONTREAL - In his Montreal Gazette column yesterday, Don MacPherson projected a worrying Quebec trend with startling candour: "It's finally becoming respectable again to express support for terrorists."
So it has. On Sunday, 15,000 Quebecers, mostly Lebanese-Canadians, marched for "justice and peace" in Lebanon. That sounds benign, but in fact the march was a virulently anti-Israel rally, and scattered amongst the crowd were a number of Hezbollah flags and placards. Leading the parade were Bloc Quebecois chief Gilles Duceppe, Liberal MP Denis Coderre, PQ chief Andre Boisclair, and Amir Khadir, spokesman for the new far-left provincial party, Solidarite Quebec.
All four politicians had signed a statement by the organizers the day before the march, in which Israel is lambasted for its depredations in Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank -- but the word "terrorism" is never mentioned, nor Hezbollah assigned any blame for the war.

In their speeches at the conclusion of the march, Messrs. Coderre and Duceppe did not condemn terrorism, did not mention Israel's right to defend itself, and spoke only of Lebanese civilian suffering. As a sop to the Quebec-Israel Committee, which had taken out full-page ads calling on the march's leaders to condemn terrorism, however, they called for the disarming of Hezbollah as part of a negotiated ceasefire.
For this, they were roundly booed by the crowd.
These politicians are playing a dangerous game. They have no political support from Jews (who are all federalists), so have nothing to lose in courting anti-Israel Arab groups. There are at least 50,000 Lebanese-Canadians in the Montreal area. We can expect those numbers to swell as Hezbollah-supporting residents of southern Lebanon cash in on their Canadian citizenship and flee to the safety of Quebec. Under the circumstances, it may be politically convenient for some left-wing Quebec politicians to stoke fires of enthusiasm for Hezbollah -- an organization officially classified as a terrorist group by the Canadian government. Yet it would be disastrous for the future of the province.
But after the thumping they took from the Conservatives in the last federal election, Quebec separatists are desperate for votes, and apparently not too morally fussy about how they get them. Their official endorsement of last week's one-sided document and their prominent presence at the march was a calculated appeal to dangerous elements in Quebec society. As MacPherson also pointed out in his column, "if [their support for the statement and the march] did not invite Hezbollah sympathizers to participate, it also contained nothing to discourage them from doing so."
Left-wing Quebec intellectuals and politicians (Pierre Trudeau being an obvious example) have always enjoyed flirtations with causes that wrap themselves in the mantle of "liberation" from colonialist oppressors -- including their very own home-grown Front de Liberation du Quebec (FLQ), which gave them a frisson of pleasure as it sowed terror throughout Canada in the late '60s with mailbox bombs, kidnappings and a murder. Their cultural and historical sympathy for Arab countries from the francophonie -- Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon -- joined with reflexive anti-Americanism and a fat streak of anti-Semitism that has marbled the intellectual discourse of Quebec throughout its history, has made Quebec the most anti-Israel of the provinces, and therefore the most vulnerable to tolerance for Islamist terrorist sympathizers.
The rise of Quebecistan

Barbara Kay, National Post

Published: Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Think about what this would mean if Quebec ever were to become independent, and detached from the leadership of politicians who know the difference between a democracy and a gang of fanatical exterminationists. You can bet that Hezbollah would be off the official terrorism list by Day two of the Republic of Quebec's existence. By Day three, word would go out to the Islamosphere that Quebec was the new "Londonistan," to cite the title of a riveting new book by British journalist Melanie Phillips, chronicling the rise of militant Islam in her country.
Complacent Canadians think it can't happen here. It won't if our political class takes its cue from the principled Stephen Harper rather than the shameless Quebec politicians who led that pro-terrorist rally. Harper needs Quebec votes every bit as much as Messrs. Duceppe and Boisclair if he expects to achieve a majority government in the next federal election, but unlike them, he isn't willing to sell his soul.
The devil is always on the lookout for the moral relativism that signals a latter-day Faust, and it seems he has found some eager recruits amongst Quebec's most prominent spokespeople.

bkay@videotron.ca

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Weren't we just talking about Coderre having a pompous hissy fit because Hillier dared to say cutbacks during the 90s hurt the military?

Isn't Denis Coderre the defense critc?

God, I can't stand the sight of the chubby little sleasebag.

Good Lord, let's keep these morons out of office.......can you IMAGINE, Coderre as Defense Minister.........or should I say Minister of Appeasement and Surrender.

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
lol, I couldn't agree more Colpy - wee flabby effete fat boy Denis calling Hillier out re his statements of the state of the military - ten years of total neglect during the liberal non-leadership - troops running around forests during training exercises yelling 'bang bang' as they don't even have blank ammo - while Crouton yanks 100 million from the defence budget to purchase himself a plane, late on a Friday afternoon.

Way to go Coderre - draw yet more attention to Fiberal screw-ups and corruption - and a leaderless party divided over terror legislation. . . . :)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ah, another hit-and-run lefty know-nothing.

Yep, the Liberals have a bad habit of loving terrorists.......as long as they think it will get them a single vote in the thnic enclaves in Toronto or Montreal.........just ask Hamas, the LTTE, or now Hezbollah.

Not only would the Liberals sell their soul (they allegedly have one) for a vote, they already HAVE!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Weren't we just talking about Coderre having a pompous hissy fit because Hillier dared to say cutbacks during the 90s hurt the military?

Isn't Denis Coderre the defense critc?

God, I can't stand the sight of the chubby little sleasebag.

Good Lord, let's keep these morons out of office.......can you IMAGINE, Coderre as Defense Minister.........or should I say Minister of Appeasement and Surrender.
Honestly, I think ministry of cheese eating surrender monkeys, fits better

Yep, the Liberals have a bad habit of loving terrorists.......as long as they think it will get them a single vote in the thnic enclaves in Toronto or Montreal.........just ask Hamas, the LTTE, or now Hezbollah.

Not only would the Liberals sell their soul (they allegedly have one) for a vote, they already HAVE!
I know you will likely not like this Colpy and I hope you don't hold it against me, but Harpo's doing a pretty good job of vote shmoozing too. Nowhere near the levels of slease the Liberals go to, but I don't make those distinctions. To me it all smells bad.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006

And are we to assume the other major parties are free of this fault?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Do you think those Quebec Lebanese will ever view themselves as Canadians first? Oh forget it... in the land of tribes they'll always be out tribbing. Hey, now there's one for the new Webster's!

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
The Quebecistan article is sad joke. It's just another mindless piece of Quebec bashing in which the author looks upon Quebecers as if they were naive, ignorant and stupid.

"Complacent Canadians think it can't happen here. It won't if our political class takes its cue from the principled Stephen Harper rather than the shameless Quebec politicians who led that pro-terrorist rally. "

Pro terrorist rally? Now that's a rather unsensible and twisted way to call the rally. The rally was pro peace. Not pro terror. Shame on the author for trying to give violent intentions to those who have none.

Principled Harper? Wow... thank God we have a principled Canadian Prime Minister protecting us from the evil Quebec seperatists...

Get real. Quebec has no tolerance for Islamic fundamentalism and the idea of a republic of Quebec becoming a haven for Islamic terrorists is just stupid. If it did, it would be because of poor security measures, not because of the supposed tolerance of Quebecers for Islamic terrorism.

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
The Quebecistan article is sad joke. It's just another mindless piece of Quebec bashing in which the author looks upon Quebecers as if they were naive, ignorant and stupid.

"Complacent Canadians think it can't happen here. It won't if our political class takes its cue from the principled Stephen Harper rather than the shameless Quebec politicians who led that pro-terrorist rally. "

Pro terrorist rally? Now that's a rather unsensible and twisted way to call the rally. The rally was pro peace. Not pro terror. Shame on the author for trying to give violent intentions to those who have none.

Principled Harper? Wow... thank God we have a principled Canadian Prime Minister protecting us from the evil Quebec seperatists...

Get real. Quebec has no tolerance for Islamic fundamentalism and the idea of a republic of Quebec becoming a haven for Islamic terrorists is just stupid. If it did, it would be because of poor security measures, not because of the supposed tolerance of Quebecers for Islamic terrorism.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Every fear-mongering right-winger from the R-o-C thinks they know everything there is to know aout Quebec, regardless or whether or not they have ever lived here or even visited here. They jump at any chance they can to insult Quebecers (especially francophones) and then are insulted by the mere existence of seperatism. They bash bilingualism simply because it isn't a part of their own personal lives (forgetting that it's a big part of ours), they bash the idea of a distinct society for the same reason (despite the reality of its existence), they bash wht they basically do not understand (which is quite a lot, evidently).

Worst of all is the majority of this particular community which is reduced to nothing but a sycophantic mob everytime an article such as this is presented, or worse, anytime one of them makes a similarly outrageous observation about yet another subject they do not fully understand.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Every fear-mongering right-winger from the R-o-C thinks they know everything there is to know aout Quebec, regardless or whether or not they have ever lived here or even visited here. They jump at any chance they can to insult Quebecers (especially francophones) and then are insulted by the mere existence of seperatism. They bash bilingualism simply because it isn't a part of their own personal lives (forgetting that it's a big part of ours), they bash the idea of a distinct society for the same reason (despite the reality of its existence), they bash wht they basically do not understand (which is quite a lot, evidently).

Worst of all is the majority of this particular community which is reduced to nothing but a sycophantic mob everytime an article such as this is presented, or worse, anytime one of them makes a similarly outrageous observation about yet another subject they do not fully understand.

What ARE you talking about? Poor beleagured, abused Quebec?

The province that has officially been assigned 75 seats, even though their population warrants considerably less than that?

The province that every Party tries to suck up to, even Harper's CPC, partly because of the above?

The province that has had a native son in the PM's chair for over 36 of the last 39 years?

SPARE ME!

And BTW, what the hell does bilingualism have to do with Quebec..........look it up in the dictionary.....bilingualism indicates the use of TWO languages.

GEEZUS!

McDonald

Nominee Member
Jan 23, 2006
Chicoutimi, Québec
www.myspace.com
What ARE you talking about? Poor beleagured, abused Quebec?

SPARE ME!

And BTW, what the hell does bilingualism have to do with Quebec..........look it up in the dictionary.....bilingualism indicates the use of TWO languages.

GEEZUS!

My god, are you ever foolish. How is that a response to what I have said at all? My post was not a Québec sob story, it was an indictment of self-styled know-it-alls like yourself whose favourite past time is to bash my home province. I am no fan of things like separatism and I admit that I have many criticisms of this province, but at least I am capable of differentiating leaders/followers of certain political trends in this province and the inhabitants of Québec as a whole.

RE: Bilingualism, I live in Québec and I am a bilingual Anglophone. Most people in Québec show some level of bilingualism. We need to, it's part of our lives whether Anglo or Franco. Most people in the other provinces are not bilingual by any measure, except in New Brunswick and parts of Ontario. Montréal is undoubtedly the most bilingual city in the country. Bilingualism assures that Canadians of either founding linguistic background have the rights to federal government services in their own language. What is wrong with that, it's only logical? Francophones represent nealry 1/4 of the population and they are a founding people in this country. They deserve your respect, but the only thing they've been able to garner from your ilk is a pretense which says that they don't matter. They're participation is not worth the extra expense. They should just learn English. Well I've got news for you. French is not some dying dialect in this country, it is a very living language which thrives here, and if this country is to remain together, the federal government MUST continue to accept, support, and encourage those communities who use it. More so, the rest of English Canada has to accept it as well, because if that doesn't happen, all the efforts in the world of Quebec federalist voices like myself and so many others will not stop the separatists from succeeding.

I'm a hard-line federalist here, and I am doing my part as a Quebecer to keep us together, but Jesus H. Christ, you people whine twice as loud as any Québécois ever has, and people over here can hear you and it makes things VERY difficult for us federalists in Québec who have been able to just barely hold the majority in this province. No thanks to you, btw. Maybe a little help, eh?!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ignoring the unflattering insinuations, you do make a good point McDonald, but it's hard to swallow some of what comes out of Kebec, when the flags of known terrorist organizations fly over supposed peace rallies. Especially with the proven anti semitism that does seem a not so dead trend in La belle Provence.

The optics do merit examination sir.