the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Documentary exposes ugly secret
of colonialism in Canada

JOAN DELANEY

PEJ News
January 29, 20007

According to Kevin Annett, co-writer and producer of Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada’s Genocide, the time has come for Canadians to learn the truth about what really happened to the aboriginal people from the start of colonialism until today.

It’s not a pretty story. Unrepentant documents the “deliberate and systematic extermination” of non-Christian indigenous people within the Indian residential school system by the Catholic, United, Presbyterian and Anglican churches, in collusion with the federal government.

The film, which made its American debut last November at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival where it won Best Director of an International Documentary, is based on Annett’s groundbreaking book, “Hidden From History: The Canadian Holocaust.” Unrepentant will also be screened at various film festivals around the world.

“We want to generate international pressure on Canada and the churches to start to have full disclosure about what went on so that there can be some healing; real healing can only happen when there’s been that kind of complete disclosure,” Annett told the Epoch Times from his home in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

First-hand testimonies from residential school survivors are interwoven with Annett’s own story of how, as a United Church minister in Port Alberni, he was fired, publicly defrocked, and had his reputation maligned by church officials after he uncovered evidence of murder and other crimes committed by the church through its Indian boarding schools.

Around1929, the churches were given legal guardianship of all the children who attended the schools, and Annett says this gave school staff free rein to perpetrate any atrocity upon their wards without having to answer to anyone.

The list of crimes is long, and includes beatings, electric shocks, forced sterilization, medical experimentation, starvation, rape as well as various other forms of sexual abuse, and murder.

As the residential school survivors in Unrepentant tell their stories, the pain evident on their stoic faces, an understanding of what went on in those institutions gradually emerges.

Some spoke of young girls becoming pregnant as a result of rape, or nuns becoming pregnant after sexually abusing boys; some described being made to dig graves for the babies who would be killed after birth.

Rick Lavalee talked about hearing the agonized cries of his only brother as he was being tortured with a cattle prod. The boy died on the spot. Belvy Breber recounted how her brother was hanged in the gym of the Kuper Island school. She was told he’d committed suicide, but she didn’t believe it. While the boy was still hanging, the other kids were paraded through the gym as a warning that this could happen to them if they didn’t behave.

Of the 100,000 who went through the schools, it is estimated that at least 50,000 were killed. Many of those who died were buried in unmarked graves on or around the school grounds; none of the bodies were ever returned to the families.

Harriet Nahanee, who spent five years at the Alberni Residential School, said she remembered the RCMP arriving at her village in a gunboat to round up the children who were to be taken to the school. Children as young as three were often taken even though the schools weren’t supposed to accept anyone under the age of seven.

If the parents fought this abduction of their children, they were liable to be arrested under the provisions of the Indian Act, something Annett calls “a piece of race-based legislation” in that it almost completely took away the rights of the native peoples.

Germ warfare was also used. Narrator Lori O’Rorke said deliberately-spread smallpox epidemics in the 1700s and 1800s killed “untold millions” of the world’s indigenous people and wiped out many Canadian aboriginals even before the residential schools began operating. Annett says approximately 98 percent of native populations on the west coast were decimated by smallpox.

Survivors in Unrepentant describe how, during a tuberculosis outbreak, they were made to play and sleep with infected children so that they too would become infected with the highly contagious disease.

While most of the schools had closed by 1984, the last federally run facility, the Gordon Residential School in Saskatchewan, closed in 1996.

The legacy of Canada’s residential schools, says Annett, is evident in the high rates of suicide, substance abuse and poverty seen in aboriginal communities across the country. He believes he can help change this by “raising an awareness of what actually happened here and the long-term effects it’s having on aboriginal people.”

“The aboriginal people need recognition and to be treated with dignity and respect, and that’s not happening right now. Anyone who’s been abused in any way needs the crime to be recognized and named, and it really hasn’t been.”

Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada’s Genocide is written by Kevin Annett and Louie Lawless, directed by Louie Lawless, and produced by Kevin Annett, Louie Lawless and Lori O’Rorke. For more information: www.hiddenfromhistory.org​

http://pej.org

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
This is a good subject for discussion and Canada is a very good place to begin, I have been reading a bit about it lately especially as it pertains to Nova Scotia, a hotbed of Genocidal pigs, I'm reasonably
certain that my own illustrious ancestors engaged in the sport.:wave::wave:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
This is a good subject for discussion and Canada is a very good place to begin, I have been reading a bit about it lately especially as it pertains to Nova Scotia, a hotbed of Genocidal pigs, I'm reasonably
certain that my own illustrious ancestors engaged in the sport.:wave::wave:

anyone who's lived in canada has heard this story, told in every horrific way it can be told, several times.

there's a species of canadian who will re-tell this story, to anyone who will listen, and then stand back, expecting them to do something about it.

what can i do? what can any of us do?

all i can think of is to forgive and forget.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sorry. I just don't believe "untold millions" died of "deliberate germ warefare". I don't think this story has any credibility. Approximately 50,000 non-native Canadians, and 300,000,000, worldwide, died of Smallpox. I have no doubt that many natives died of this ugly disease because of the sanitary conditions the natives lived in at that time, and because of ignorance of disease control measures.

Any time the church is involved in just about anything, it is a disaster but I don't believe genocide was a Canadian government policy. This nitwit writes about deliberately spread Smallpox epidemics in the 1700s and 1800s I wonder where he found the records of this?. It looks like the Americans deliberately spread Smallpox around too. Real history tells a different story.

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5100

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Sorry. I just don't believe "untold millions" died of "deliberate germ warefare". I don't think this story has any credibility. Approximately 50,000 non-native Canadians, and 300,000,000, worldwide, died of Smallpox. I have no doubt that many natives died of this ugly disease because of the sanitary conditions the natives lived in at that time, and because of ignorance of disease control measures.00

I agree. The idea that the Canadian government purposely set about to pursue a policy of germ warfare against our Native population is preposterous.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Any time the church is involved in just about anything, it is a disaster

I did kind of blanket all churches, but I guess what I meant was the residential schools that were at least partly run by the churches. There has been a lot of sad, and dis gusting stories about the residetial schools and their dictatorial ways. As awful as they were, I don't believe all the stories. The federal government is about to settle with native Canadians for the abuses in these schools, at a cost of around $2 billion dollars. Should we try for $3 billion? The timing of this movie is a little too convenient.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
alot more than 300,000 people have died of small pox Juan. If you mean in one instance thats one thing, but untold millions have died. The damn disease whiped out 3/4 of Meso-American Civilizations populations. Thats a fact, its one of the things exploited by the Spanish Conquerors.

At the time of the Small pox Epidemic (the first time) in North America most Natives weren't nomadic people (especially in the southern US and meso-america) but City dwellers. The disease caused a melt-down in those area's leaving what could be best described as post-apocalyptic remnants and a the enduring myth of the "mound builders" despite early spaniards making records of "Mound Builder" Cities and peoples.

Of course, **** happens, no one blames Arab traders for whiping out 1/3 of Europe with the black death. Its just history.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I did kind of blanket all churches, but I guess what I meant was the residential schools that were at least partly run by the churches. There has been a lot of sad, and dis gusting stories about the residetial schools and their dictatorial ways. As awful as they were, I don't believe all the stories. The federal government is about to settle with native Canadians for the abuses in these schools, at a cost of around $2 billion dollars. Should we try for $3 billion? The timing of this movie is a little too convenient.

Sorry Jaun but the documentation does exist, I have seen some of it, I will post what I can as soon I'm able. Genocide denial is always a problem in our modern world, it's an entirely to human activity.
You would not deny the Jewish Holocaust. Why deny this one? The evidence is conclusive and compelling. All nations are capable of the crime many are guilty of the crime, the crimes tactical value has been appreciated and applied many times. As it was then so it is today, the list is bottomless. The movie nor it's timing has any bearing on my interest in the subject.

You line about real history is passing funny.:wave:

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sanctus, your own organization is arguably the historic master of the practice, see Red Gold a history of the conquest of Brazil.:wave:
Despite our tete et tete, in that other thread, I will stand by your assertions here...

I would garner though, that the numbers are tad exagerated.

I am the Grandson of a Residential School survivor. I have a good understanding of the abuses. I am also well aware of the practice of supplying feted and diseased materials to the Indigenous population and fully believe in it historical basis, albeit hard to prove.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am the Grandson of a Residential School survivor. I have a good understanding of the abuses. I am also well aware of the practice of supplying feted and diseased materials to the Indigenous population and fully believe in it historical basis, albeit hard to prove.

"Untold millions killed in by deliberate spread of disease in the 1700s and 1800s". I should think it was hard to prove, because it didn't happen. I repeat, the Canadian government did not have a policy of genocide.

"Residential school survivor"? 50,000 non-natives died of Smallpox......were they deliberately infected as well? I have no cause to doubt that many many natives died of Smallpox, Typhus, Influenza, and other diseases that white men brought with them. I just don't believe it was deliberate. I can see how this kind of thinking could get started when a lot of families were just about wiped out. Native Canadians had no resistance to these European diseases and they were hit the hardest.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I agree. The idea that the Canadian government purposely set about to pursue a policy of germ warfare against our Native population is preposterous.

Canadian government? That's why Canadians have a hard time swallowing this bit of history. There was no "Canadian" government back then, only British Colonial Footstomping of the "savages". The British empire did the same thing all over the planet, what's so hard to believe?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I think that it would be quite easy to prove or disprove this assertion of genocide. We know where the schools were located,it should be simple to find the mass burial sites. Why has this not been done yet?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Despite our tete et tete, in that other thread, I will stand by your assertions here...

I would garner though, that the numbers are tad exagerated.

Head to head is better than dead to dead, what? The subject is genocide, a human practice, we love it, some say it separates us from the rest of the animals. The numbers may be a tad exagerated, but I'd bet they're not. The dead don't talk. The bounty for micmac scalps in Nova Scotia was only lifted in 1970 something or other.:wave:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Canadian government? That's why Canadians have a hard time swallowing this bit of history. There was no "Canadian" government back then, only British Colonial Footstomping of the "savages". The British empire did the same thing all over the planet, what's so hard to believe?

That is right ITN, but the more consumer friendly method of cultural genocide was enthusiastically persued by Canadian Governments. A limey one day and a cunuck the next does little to exonerate the crimes. :wave:

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Sorry,but no. There are not any mass graves to be found. This "genocide" supposedly happened over the past 70 years. Many of the residents from those schools are still alive.If there was 50,000 murders,I am sure someone would have led the authorities to the burial grounds or at the very least there would have been many,many ,ceremonies celebrating these lost souls. No,this genocide story is just another myth used to guilt the working class into paying out to the "victim".

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Sorry. I just don't believe "untold millions" died of "deliberate germ warefare". I don't think this story has any credibility. Approximately 50,000 non-native Canadians, and 300,000,000, worldwide, died of Smallpox. I have no doubt that many natives died of this ugly disease because of the sanitary conditions the natives lived in at that time, and because of ignorance of disease control measures.

Any time the church is involved in just about anything, it is a disaster but I don't believe genocide was a Canadian government policy. This nitwit writes about deliberately spread Smallpox epidemics in the 1700s and 1800s I wonder where he found the records of this?. It looks like the Americans deliberately spread Smallpox around too. Real history tells a different story.

http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5100

Maybe not, but they did turn a blind eye to the Natives dying of tuberculosis in residential schools. 50,000 died (mostly from tuberculosis). The government was told by their own health inspector Dr. Peter Bryce that the crowded conditions were responsible for the transmission of the disease, yet nothing was done. Google "Dr. Peter Bryce" or something to that effect, or try This Link for more info.