No NATO exercise for cash-strapped navy

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The Canadian navy is pulling three ships out of planned NATO exercises off Nova Scotia next week, citing a lack of funding.

There's no money for the warships to join the U.S. and German ships, navy officials said Friday.
"It looks like we're going to wait to use our training assets, our training funds, and what we have available for later on in the quarter," said Canadian Commodore Denis Rouleau, who handed over command of the NATO fleet.

The decision to tie up the three ships follows a decision two weeks ago to cancel a scheduled sovereignty exercise.

HMCS Halifax was supposed to patrol off Newfoundland, but the navy couldn't afford fuel. Hours after CBC News aired the story, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor said $3.5 million would be made available and the ship was ordered to sea.

Now the navy says other exercises and missions could be cancelled because of the budget crunch.

Dangerous game
Defence analyst Steve Staples suggested the navy may be playing politics to get more money in the next budget.

"I think they're playing a dangerous game by trying to embarrass the government," said Staples, with the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute.

Canadians want a military that defends our sovereignty, he said, so the defence minister should tell the navy to get those ships out and "quit playing games."

The American admiral who heads the NATO fleet said Canada's ships will be missed.

"I'm sure it would be valuable to us to have Canadian ships sail with us," said Rear Admiral Michael Mahon.

At this point, only American and German ships will take part in the NATO exercise, which begins Monday plying the waters between Halifax and Boston.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2007/01/26/navy-nato.html

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Why can't the navy keep sailing and just send the government the bill? I assume their are other, less important departments that can supply the cash

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
doryman, your plan, while intriguing, would almost certainly not pay off. governments don't enjoy that kind of treatment. it might also be considered an insult to the queen since the navy still has connections there.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
doryman, your plan, while intriguing, would almost certainly not pay off. governments don't enjoy that kind of treatment. it might also be considered an insult to the queen since the navy still has connections there.

Possibly.I wonder how much fuel 2 billion dollars in gun registry could have bought? Or how much welfare given to able-bodied people could have been diverted? Of course, the maintenance of ourselve as a sovereign nation is les important than the maintenance of our childish, short-sighted nanny state

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
seriously if you think canada is a nanny state you should visit the UK. recently they put a fence around a pear tree to prevent pears falling on people's heads. Whereas here in edmonton they have a giant bridge, very high up, with a 3 foot fence on it. I love the attitude here... you get hurt? your fault, should be more careful eh

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
seriously if you think canada is a nanny state you should visit the UK. recently they put a fence around a pear tree to prevent pears falling on people's heads. Whereas here in edmonton they have a giant bridge, very high up, with a 3 foot fence on it. I love the attitude here... you get hurt? your fault, should be more careful eh

That's ridiculous, but too indicative of the way the UK is heading. Sad but at least the UK isn't as bad as the Continent. Those people are ridiculous