Why do you eat meat?

Rawisbetter!

Electoral Member
Jan 23, 2007
So it doesn't bother you that innocent animals are being killed for something we don't need to survive?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thats the nature of the world. We have to live off other organisms, and doing it without animal protein is complicated if you want to achieve the balance of amino acids a balanced diet provides. There are ethical choices one can make when picking out their foods if they are so inclined.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
meat is great. I eat it for health reasons, enjoyment, and variety. Eating animal protein, unless you have a medical condition, is the best way to keep your diet balanced. I do think however, that ethical treatment of food animals is something that bears addressing. Just because I'm going to eat it, doesn't mean it deserves to be treated cruelly.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So it doesn't bother you that innocent animals are being killed for something we don't need to survive?

I don't need carrots to survive but I eat them anyway. The question is, do we get any value from eating meat. As a species, there is mounting evidence that the answer is yes.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

As individuals, the question is open for debate. What isn't really open for debate is whether ot not meat is unhealthy in proper quantities. It isn't.

As for being bothered that "innocent animals" are killed I, like the lion don't view it in moral terms. As long as I am not wasting resources I see nothing wrong. In fact, proper animal husbandry coupled with proper farming practises is the best course of actions. If you have some spriritual reasons for not wanting to eat meat then that is entirely your perogative but I don't view the animal's innocence as relevant.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What about the innocent vegetables that are slaughtered every year. Peeled , diced, boiled, the screaming parsnips haunt my sleep.:wave:

Carrot Juice is Murder

Listen up brothers and sisters, come here my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegtables live in oppression, served on out tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw’s a fascist regime
Don’t think that they don’t have feelings, just cause a radish can’t scream

I’ve heard the screams of the vegetables, watching their skins being peeled
Grated and steamed with no mercy.. how do you think that feels?
Carrot juice constitutes murder.. greenhouses prisons for slaves
It’s time to stop all this gardening.. let’s call a spade a spade.

I saw a man eating celery, so I beat him black and blue
If he ever touches a sprout again, I’ll bite him clean in two
I’m a political prisoner, trapped in a windowless cage
’cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips, by killing five men in a rage
I told the judge when he sentenced me, this is my finest hour..
I’d kill those farmers again, just to save one more cauliflower

How low as people do we dare to stoop
Making our broccolis bleed in the soup
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don’t mash that potato!

Is a spade is a spade is a spade is a... spade

If god didn't want people to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

I didnt see this.....You are totally wrong.....some people cant metabolise vegtable proteins. I tried being Vegan for 6 months and got very anemic and very sick. My doc told me I couldnt pull it off and I wasnt to try anymore.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Humans are omnivorous animals. While vegan diets are viable, they are very difficult to follow religiously. To be vegan for moral issues is close to being religious. I sure hope you do not own anything leather. Shoes? Belts? What about the rape and pillage of old growth forest to supply us with paper. Do you boycott all paper products? Are the ones you use certified to be NOT from old growth forests? Choices have to be made based on morals, health and costs (yes, money does influence choices).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I sure hope you do not own anything leather. Shoes? Belts?

I find it especially funny when people who DO eat meat think it's wrong to wear leather. What the heck do they think should be done with the skins of all the animals they eat? If animals are being slaughtered for meat, then all parts should be put to the best use possible. I'd be angrier if people DIDN'T wear leather.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Tofu anyone??

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Mmm, that looks good. I eat tofu from time to time, and I actually don't eat that much meat, probably less than I should be eating. I do tend to eat more dairy and whole wheats than they recommend. But that's not because of ethical choices.

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006
I find it especially funny when people who DO eat meat think it's wrong to wear leather. What the heck do they think should be done with the skins of all the animals they eat? If animals are being slaughtered for meat, then all parts should be put to the best use possible. I'd be angrier if people DIDN'T wear leather.

My friend was a vegetarian for a bit and finall I got her to see how hyocritical it was for her to wear leather and carry a leather purse, plussssssssss, she had a rabbit coat!