Conviction?

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Dion accuses Conservatives of lacking convictions on various issues at 10:10 on January 23, 2007, EST.
QUEBEC (CP) - Liberal Leader Stephane Dion accused the Conservatives on Tuesday of lacking the kind of convictions that he said his own party has on various issues.
Dion said Prime Minister Stephen Harper has copied much of the Liberals' environmental platform.
"Canadians will not be fooled," Dion told his caucus as it met in Quebec City.
"They will know that there is something Mr. Harper cannot copy.
"It is the conviction, this conviction that we have as Liberals. Convictions about social justice in this country, about economic prosperity.here in Canada and abroad, the role of Canada in the world. This conviction will never be copied by Mr. Harper."
Dion said the Liberals are well-placed to deliver the kind of action plan Canadians are hoping to see in the 21st century.

©The Canadian Press, 2007

Convictions!.........It seems to me it's the Liberals who lack convictions......Stealing our tax money through Adscam should be one conviction they (the Liberals) have....a criminal conviction!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Convictions!.........It seems to me it's the Liberals who lack convictions......Stealing our tax money through Adscam should be one conviction they (the Liberals) have....a criminal conviction!

Maybe I can give you some help with the math. The entire adscam scandal was less than one percent of the budget. The last Conservative government under Mulroney added $450 billion to the debt that our great grand children will still be paying off. For all his faults, when Chretien was handed a huge deficit, he balanced the budget in a couple years and even paid down some of the debt. I didn't like Chretien, but he did a better job than Bulroney who had a major scandal every year he was in office.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Maybe I can give you some help with the math. The entire adscam scandal was less than one percent of the budget. The last Conservative government under Mulroney added $450 billion to the debt that our great grand children will still be paying off. For all his faults, when Chretien was handed a huge deficit, he balanced the budget in a couple years and even paid down some of the debt. I didn't like Chretien, but he did a better job than Bulroney who had a major scandal every year he was in office.

Theft is theft and those responsible even if it is 1% (that's still one hell of a lot of money) need to be criminally punished. After all if you or I stole that kind of cash do you think we would be on the street?

Let's also not forget the $2 BILLION gun registry that was only supposed to cost a few million. I am NOT pro gun and I believe in a registry of firearms of somesort, but that is one hell of mis-management also!

....Mulroney had the punishment he deserved for mismanagement of the Canada economy....he lost re-election.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
.Mulroney had the punishment he deserved for mismanagement of the Canada economy....he lost re-election.
Mulroney won two elections. He resigned shortly before the end of his mandate, after approximately nine years in office. He never lost a federal election..........and isn't that too bad?.........He handed the reins to Kim Cambell who eventually presented Chretien with a forty odd billion dollar deficit.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Mulroney won two elections. He resigned shortly before the end of his mandate, after approximately nine years in office. He never lost a federal election..........and isn't that too bad?.........He handed the reins to Kim Cambell who eventually presented Chretien with a forty odd billion dollar deficit.

My apologies for the error, what I was trying to get at and I certainly didn't get it across correctly is that that the government didn't survive. Mulroney was the leader and the Prime Minister and therefore responsible. But his government have that responsibility also.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My apologies for the error, what I was trying to get at and I certainly didn't get it across correctly is that that the government didn't survive. Mulroney was the leader and the Prime Minister and therefore responsible. But his government have that responsibility also.

No apology required. Mulroney is probably my most unfavourite politician, after Bush....:)

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Mulroney was the worst prime minister in history.
But since, as you say, the responsibility lies with the Prime Minister, then why are we brining up adscam and tying that to the Liberals? Shouldn't the responsibility be with the Prime Minister of the time, not Dion? Why do Cons always have a double standard? Dont mention Mulroney, but the "Liberals" did this 10 years ago. It's a right wing tactic that works with the simple minded.