FASCIST Hugo Strahl's plebicite floating a straw man?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
From what I can gather the Wheat Board Act isn't even scheduled under NAFTA. Its authority is maintained by the agreement's grandfathering clauses which makes fundamental changes to the CWB's mode of operations subject to scrutiny. Hugo Strahl is making barley purchase and sales by the Wheat Board in the open market an option for farmers but one of the strongest features of the Board is that its risk is explicitly underwritten by the Government of Canada via the Treasury Board.

Its only a matter of time before the CWB's operations being underwritten by the public purse is challenged in court and when it loses the CWB will be in the business of being in a fully competitive business which, as an arm of the government, it has no business doing. I see no way that the Board or the Government can win that challenge even if it wanted to. When oats was delisted the Board dropped it. I would expect the same to happen with barley, but that's not what our ruling FASCIST party is proposing. Anything to get their way in the long run, I suppose, but unless someone can show me how by any stretch of the imagination continuing operations under Part IV Section 53 of the Wheat Board Act would stand up to a NAFTA challenge once oats hits the open market I'd say its safe to assume Hugo Strahl's proposed venture into the world of FASCISM is ultimately a red herring whether he's aware of it or not.

If oats farmers want their independence from a single desk then fine, have at it. But don't expect to come nuzzling back to the public purse if and when the market weakens. To its credit, at least NAFTA won't allow it. Unless someone knows better. I'm all ears.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
If oats farmers want their independence from a single desk then fine, have at it. But don't expect to come nuzzling back to the public purse if and when the market weakens. To its credit, at least NAFTA won't allow it. Unless someone knows better. I'm all ears.

What Strahl is proposing is nothing more than what Ontario farmers are able to do under the Ontario Wheat Board. If farmers in the East can opt out or sell their product elsewhere, why should farmers in the west be any different.

If a farmer produces a product he (or she) should be able to sell their product wherever and whatever price they want. Therefore they should be able to choose between the wheatboard or doing business using their own business acumen. Why should wheat or barley restrict how you sell your product.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
The Ontario Wheat Board is little more than a marketing board that issues quotas and handles a little grain on the side and yes, to the extent that it is both an arm of government and competes for sales in the open market, it is FASCISM.

If Western barley farmers want the CWB to keep handling their product, great. Privatize it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Ontario Wheat Board is little more than a marketing board that issues quotas and handles a little grain on the side and yes, to the extent that it is both an arm of government and competes for sales in the open market, it is FASCISM.

If Western barley farmers want the CWB to keep handling their product, great. Privatize it.

Could you give me an idea of the CWBs history and why it came about?

Last edited:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I'm no expert. All I know for sure is neoclassical economics is sure as hell on the Wheat Board's side; Public Choice Theory and neoliberal ideology notwithstanding, of course.

This is as good a source as any if you're looking for a quick read. Barley farmers better not be expecting to this again...

The initial payment was, in effect, a floor price guaranteed by the federal government and any deficit was to be absorbed by the government.

If FT can show me by what legislation Ontario still does the same thing, I'd appreciate it.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
If FT can show me by what legislation Ontario still does the same thing, I'd appreciate it.

I am looking for short and sweet info into the Ontario from the Ontario Wheat Board, but in the mean time here is a link explaining how it operates....take it with a bit of a "pinch of salt" though as it is from the Alberta Provincail Government.

http://www.choicematters.gov.ab.ca/files/pdf/GrainIndInfo-OntarioWheat(2006).pdf

We should clarify that it is not all farmers that want to change the Wheat Board, they just want the choice to be able to decide what they do with the grain that they have worked hard to grow. I don't see what is so wrong with that......

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
nothing if you don't mind losing both your share of the monopoly and your angel at the same time.

but continuing to call it The Canadian Wheat Board when its just another reseller with a dayjob is just plain stupid.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm no expert. All I know for sure is neoclassical economics is sure as hell on the Wheat Board's side; Public Choice Theory and neoliberal ideology notwithstanding, of course.

This is as good a source as any if you're looking for a quick read. Barley farmers better not be expecting to this again...

Thank-you we value your input and ofttimes make your posts the fulcrum of our endeavours to pry the top off the various issues you deem worthy of attention.

DarkBeaver & Company
Mechanicaly Yours:love9:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Thank-you we value your input and ofttimes make your posts the fulcrum of our endeavours to pry the top off the various issues you deem worthy of attention.

DarkBeaver & Company
Mechanicaly Yours:love9:

and all this time I've just been trying to be a pain in the ass

back to the drawing board