Liberals back away from forcing election

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's main opposition Liberal Party backed away on Thursday from its previous declaration that it was unlikely to support the minority Conservative government's federal budget.

A defeat of the budget would trigger the second election in little more than a year, but Liberal leader Stephane Dion told a news conference that he did not want an election and preferred not to have one in the coming weeks or months.

In December he said it would be "very unlikely" that his party would support the budget, expected in the next two to three months, but on Thursday he allowed for the possibility that the Liberals might support it.

The Conservatives can stay in power with the support of any of the three opposition parties -- the Liberals, the Bloc Quebecois and the New Democrats.

"Last year it was the Bloc that found reasons to support the budget. Will it be the Liberals, will it be the NDP, will it be the Bloc this time? We don't know," Dion said.

Canada went to the polls in June 2004 and again in January 2006, and Dion said he wanted to wait until voters had more of an itch for another election.

"I don't want an election. I don't think Canadians want an election. I worry about the turnout in this country. Each time we go in(to) an election by surprise, it's not helping Canadians go to the ballot box," Dion said.

The Liberals and Conservatives are running neck and neck in the polls, with neither group poised to win a majority and both at risk of an electoral setback.

Copyright © 2007 Reuters Limited