Political stars burn bright

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The race is on to find candidates for Quebec ridings in anticipation of a federal election, and the speculation is ripe that both the Conservatives and Liberals are courting high-profile candidates.

The Globe and Mail reports that the Tories are eyeing former Hydro-Quebec boss Andre Caille to run in a south Montreal riding. A familiar face to the business community there, he's apparently being tapped as a star candidate.

But the news that has most observers buzzing is whether Dion will bring Justin Trudeau to run in Outremont, the Montreal riding vacated by the resignation yesterday of MP Jean Lapierre who is leaving for a job at television network TVA sooner than anticipated -- Lapierre had previously said he wouldn't be running in the next election. Trudeau has mused aloud that he's interesting in the seat, which is considered one of the safest in Quebec to Liberals. But Dion will be under pressure to run a woman there considering his objective of running 103 female candidates. Maclean's wonders whether Dion is confident enough to turn Trudeau away.

But some voters aren't blinded by the star power of Justin. Miles Lunn writes in his blog:

"Please choose someone other than Justin Trudeau. Almost every non-partisan over 35 I've talked to who has listened to the guy says he is the most annoying and let's remember those over 35 are more likely to vote than the younger voters who seem to be intrigued by him and it is the non-partisans who we need to win the next election. If we want a former Trudeau, then choose Sacha Trudeau, who despite the fact I disagree with him on a number of issues, he is at least very articulate. I am all for Justin Trudeau running, but have him run in a Bloc Quebecois held riding and make him work for his seat, don't hand it to him."

And there's the question of whether Justin is ready for the federal spotlight. Sure he's a child of the Ottawa political scene, he's done some grassroots work, and he's made lots of connections. But is jumping into the federal ring the best move, or should he cut his teeth at the local or provincial level to earn a bit of experience?

-Derek Chezzi

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I think we shoul follow the lead of our American friends...

Arnie's got Califurnee, Jesse the Body Ventura's got Minnesota (could be Wisconsin...not sure) and of course Bonzo's room mate was President....

Let's nominate a radio/television/movie star.....

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Justin Trudeau... :laughing7:

Seriously, it would be very bad strategy to give him the Outremont riding... So far, from what I've heard of him, he's only managed to make himself pass as arrogant. He is a copy of his father in terms of his condescendance towards Quebec nationalism and I'm convinced he would polarize Quebec nationalists against him.

Give him indeed a Bloc Québecois riding so he can show what he's made of...