Mud-splattered and elegant

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
LONDON (AP) - She is already considered the Royal Rebel, with a pierced navel and colorful past. Now Zara Phillips - granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth and world-champion equestrian - is raising eyebrows by appearing in an advertisement.

Phillips, the 25-year-old daughter of Princess Anne, posed for automaker Land Rover - which is one of her sponsors - in a white evening gown with a mud-spattered hem. The photograph for the ad was taken by Mary McCartney, daughter of former Beatle Paul McCartney.

The Mail on Sunday, a British newspaper which keeps particularly close tabs on the aristocracy, said in an editorial that "it is hard to get stuffy" about Phillips' choice to appear in an advertisement - something the royal family generally does not do.

"She will get away with it because of who she is, and because she has already shown that if you break the rules with panache, your admirers will outnumber your critics," The Mail said. "As she shows in her new pose, she can even manage to look good splattered with off-road mud."

Phillips, who is 11th in line to the throne, was named sports personality of the year Sunday by the British Broadcasting Corp.

"I'm actually shaking," said Phillips, who beat Ryder Cup golfer Darren Clarke to the title, which is chosen by public vote.

On her horse Toytown, Phillips took the individual title in the three-day eventing at the World Equestrian Games this summer in Germany. She also helped Britain win a team silver medal in the competition.

Her mother, Princess Anne, won the BBC sports trophy in 1971.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Of course, if the public had been paying for my equestrian lessons from my birth, I too would be winning cups left right and centre. But I would not have a horse called Toytown. It would be called Thankyousuckers.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Mail on Sunday, a British newspaper which keeps particularly close tabs on the aristocracy, said in an editorial that "it is hard to get stuffy" about Phillips' choice to appear in an advertisement - something the royal family generally does not do.

However, you can buy everything from jam and Worcestershire Sauce, to Scotch, that is labelled "by Appointment to .....(insert Royalty Here)", which is no different from posing for a car commercial.