CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Fiscal Imbalance in Native funding.

FISCAL IMBALANCE:
THE TRUTH ABOUT SPENDING ON FIRST NATIONS

PER CAPITA SPENDING

1. Per capita spending on First Nations is half the amount for average Canadians (between $7,000-$8,000 compared to $15,000-$16,000). Spending on First Nations through core federal programs is capped annually at rates lower than inflation and population growth.

1. [*]•
    [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]First Nations population figures are included in CHST but provinces/territories are not accountable for spending on First Nations programs/services, and some explicitly exclude First Nations living on-reserve through legislation or policy.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]
    [*]• The gaps in health and well-being that currently exist between First Nations and other Canadians demonstrate that provincial/territorial services are not accessed and/or do not meet the needs of First Nations.[/FONT]

LACK OF GROWTH IN SPENDING
[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Indian and Northern Affairs (INAC) [/FONT]
    [*]•
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Core INAC program budgets have been capped at 2% growth for ten years.[/FONT]

[*]• The Auditor General reports that, from 1999-2004, INAC funding increased by only 1.6%, excluding inflation, while the status First Nation population, according to the Department, increased by 11.2%.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]

[*]• [/FONT]
    Since 2000, First Nations budgets have been diminished by almost 13%.

[*]•
    [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Had a 6% rate of growth been applied (to account for inflation and population growth and equal to what has been granted to Canada Health and Social Transfers), the cumulative new dollars received over the ten year period would have been $14.5 billion.[/FONT]

[*]• The amount of lost funds -- the difference between the 2% rate received and the need (6%) – is over $10 billion. Gathering Strength, the federal government’s response to the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, has only provided $2.379 billion, leaving a short fall of $7.914 billion.[/FONT]

[*]• For individual communities, the magnitude of lost funds in the 2006/07 budget is 45.5% over existing funds and ranges from $1.5 million to $13.9 million.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Health Canada’s First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB) [/FONT]

[*]•
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Indian Health Envelope has been capped at 3% growth for ten years. This includes nursing, non-insured health benefits (NIHB), such as medical transportation and prescription drugs, and some prevention/promotion programs. All new targeted programs announced after 1996/97, do not receive any annual growth.[/FONT]
    [*]• [/FONT]
    A health funding shortfall of close to $2 billion is expected over the next five years.

[*]•
    [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Over the next two years, individual communities will experience an average gap of 9% in 2006/07 and 14% in 2007/08 between what they will receive in health funding and what is actually needed.
    F​
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]ISCAL IMBALANCE

[/FONT]

1. Canada Health and Social Transfers are growing at an average rate of 6.6% per year.
    1. [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]By 2009-10, CHSTs will have increased by 33% over 5 years.[/FONT]
      [*]• The equalization program received a total increase of $10.9 billion in the last two years. Growth of 3.5% is ongoing for 10 years from 2004.[/FONT]

[*]• The 10-Year Plan to Strengthen Health Care signed in September 2004 (and legislated through to 2013–14) provides for annual increases of 6%.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Courtesy AFN, FI-FS pdf. http://www.afn.ca/article.asp?id=3[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I see all the armchair critics are pretty quite when the facts run out into the light on Government spending, with regards to the Native peoples.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I'm getting more than a little tired of your tirade Bear!

You don't support your native brothers terrorist activities at Oka at Ipperwash and and Caledonia but you support the war in Afghanistan if I'm not mistaken...

You complain that Canada doesn't allocate sufficient money to native issues and somehow believe that the disabled and the poor (all Canadians not just natives) aren't able to comprehend the imbalance that the wealthy of this nation are eager to tolerate and ignore...while we the disabled and the poor are victims as well.

You've not addressed my comments with regard to criminality practiced by native smuggling (at least I haven't read a response) and you seem to feel that an indebtedness is owed to native people that should justly take precedence over other people victimized by the greed of the average white Canadian.

Are you familiar with the term "apple" Bear as this term was applied to many native activists in the sixties?

Who do you think you're convincing here bear? Is the exercise of thread after thread after thread intended to motivate fat-cat-white-folk to abandon their greed and self-interest?

Won't happen Bear.

It won't happen because whitey is filled with hatred and self-loathing and the only thing that's capable of assuaging the faintest glimmer of doubt and responsibility is consuming more...

I understand your displeasure and there is no doubt in anyone's mind that whitey has used and abused everyone from Chinese to Amerind and you know what Bear....

At the end of the day, Canadians have found out that it's far easier to hate someone and practice prejudice and disdain for the native the poor, the disabled and all the dirty little rag-head kids wasting away on the streets of Afghanistan and Iraq than it is to embrace compassion and love one another.

They always have and from the contributions here by several folk there's little reason to believe that will change any time soon.

Gear down on the diatribe Bear....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CDNBear

No disrespect, but how many posts regarding Native American issues are we going to see before the end of the year?
Somebody asked, I only answered.

It also seems that there is some misleading info floating about, I thought I would fix the imbalance.

No offence ITN, and this is not only directed at you. But why does no one question the intolerant and obvious religious Spam of sanctus?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Somebody asked, I only answered.

It also seems that there is some misleading info floating about, I thought I would fix the imbalance.

No offence ITN, and this is not only directed at you. But why does no one question the intolerant and obvious religious Spam of sanctus?

He's next on my list. :wave:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm getting more than a little tired of your tirade Bear!
Noted, don't care, but noted. Somebody asked, I answered. Just trying to dispell some myths.

You don't support your native brothers terrorist activities at Oka at Ipperwash and and Caledonia but you support the war in Afghanistan if I'm not mistaken...
No you are not mistaken. I do not fully support the violence within the actions taken by members of my community, but I stand by there decission to protest the illegal actions taken against them in the first place.

You complain that Canada doesn't allocate sufficient money to native issues and somehow believe that the disabled and the poor (all Canadians not just natives) aren't able to comprehend the imbalance that the wealthy of this nation are eager to tolerate and ignore...while we the disabled and the poor are victims as well.
No I do not, I complain that the moneis already allocated for the Natives is mismanaged and scquandered by corrupt Native leaders, with the complicity of the Government.

I understand and agreethat the poor and dissabled are victims, but I can only fight one battle at a time, and I have not the where with all to wage war for the poor or dissabled, I would not know where to begin. The three issues are huge. How can I be asked to champion all three at once, I am only one man.

You've not addressed my comments with regard to criminality practiced by native smuggling (at least I haven't read a response) and you seem to feel that an indebtedness is owed to native people that should justly take precedence over other people victimized by the greed of the average white Canadian.
I didn't realize that you wanted me to. But as you do...

I dissagree with any practice that is illegal and in such dissagree with the organized criminal activity on Reservations. It is symptomatis of the corruption that permiates the reserve life. It needs to be curtailed immediately and with great prejudice. If we wish to end the stereotypical images we Natives hate so much.

Are you familiar with the term "apple" Bear as this term was applied to many native activists in the sixties?
I am vaguely familiar, but not sure if it applies to me.

Who do you think you're convincing here bear? Is the exercise of thread after thread after thread intended to motivate fat-cat-white-folk to abandon their greed and self-interest?
No one, I merely took the suggestion of a friend, as well as wanted to expose some of the myths that had been circulating. Much like I do with gopher, balance out the hyperbol.

Won't happen Bear.
I agree, bigotry is never changed by facts, look at sanctus' replies to my pointing out of his flaws. Instant dismissal of proven facts.

It won't happen because whitey is filled with hatred and self-loathing and the only thing that's capable of assuaging the faintest glimmer of doubt and responsibility is consuming more...
I try to be more hopeful and optimistic then that.

I understand your displeasure and there is no doubt in anyone's mind that whitey has used and abused everyone from Chinese to Amerind and you know what Bear....

At the end of the day, Canadians have found out that it's far easier to hate someone and practice prejudice and disdain for the native the poor, the disabled and all the dirty little rag-head kids wasting away on the streets of Afghanistan and Iraq than it is to embrace compassion and love one another.
Can't argue with that.

They always have and from the contributions here by several folk there's little reason to believe that will change any time soon.

Gear down on the diatribe Bear....
Like I said before, I'm holding out hope.

I do not see it as a diatribe, I see it as spreading knowledge and dispelling myths. And I ask you the same, why is it no one questions the religios spam of sanctus, but when a Native posts facts, not myths from some book of lies, it's a diatribe?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Merry Christmas Bear...hope Santa has a suprise or two in his sack for you....it's all about anticipation dontcha know!? :)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know, I hope I get my new office chair, this one is killing me, lol.

Merry Xmas to you to Mikey.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly
Which would you prefer: That Canada treat our first nations like every other canadian citizen with the same rights and responsibilities, then theoretically the per capita spending on all groups would be the same. Or that Canada live up to their treaty obligations that are different for each first nations group then this whole fiscal imbalance arguement is a red herring.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Do you honestly believe that a nation like Canada or the Untied States have any interest in "living up to treaty obligations"???

Hell man, what clearer message do you need than the preparedness demonstrated by our good American friends to honor their treaty with us...one of them was called NAFTA and the monkey-dicks who wrote that piece of crap even included a dispute resolution mechanism that has cost Canadians millions on top of the billions stolen!

In a nation of thirty million people, that a significant proportion of those citizens is faced with having to use food banks, live without a roof over their head, sleep in subway tunnels, ...there's simply too many incidents to list... and you think that magically by pointing out some "treaty" that the injustice that Canadians love to embrace will somehow evaporate under the lens of critical scrutiny...??

I'll smoke whatever it is your smoking...pass it on over dude...