Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope, no hidden agendas here!
Rae target of anti-Semitism
Dec. 7, 2006. 09:53 PM
JOAN BRYDEN
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Bob Rae was the target of anti-Semitic attacks during the Liberal leadership contest, motivated at least in part by the fact that his wife is Jewish.
Sources close to Rae say that his wife, Arlene Perly Rae, was approached during last weekend's convention by a delegate who didn't realize she was the candidate's wife. The delegate told her not to vote for Rae "because his wife is Jewish."
Perly Rae stonily informed the delegate that she was the wife in question. The delegate beat a hasty retreat.
The incident might have been shrugged off if it had been an isolated event. But Rae team insiders contend it was part of a larger pattern of anti-Semitic smears on Rae, who finished third.
A flyer was circulated electronically among convention delegates denouncing Rae for having once delivered a speech to the Jewish National Fund, a group the flyer said was complicit in "war crimes and ethnic cleansing."
"Rae's wife is a vice-president of the CJC (Canadian Jewish Congress), a lobby group which supports Israeli apartheid," said the flyer in bold letters superimposed over a close-up of Rae's face.
"Bob Rae supports Israeli apartheid. Don't elect a leader who supports apartheid."
The Canadian Jewish Congress has condemned the flyer and blamed Khaled Mouammar, president of the Canadian Arab Federation for circulating it. The federation has, in turn, accused the CJC of making "a pitiful attempt to discredit" it and has denied producing or distributing the flyer.
Nevertheless, in a release Thursday, the federation supported the content of the flyer.
"CAF believes that Canadians have the right to know the factual information provided" in the flyer, the federation said.
It went on to say that the Jewish National Fund manages all state lands in Israel and allows only Jews to live on such land, a ``practice that amounts to ethnic cleansing," and added that ``Canadians have the right to know who supports the JNF in Canada."
The flyer was produced and e-mailed to all MPs by Ron Saba, editor of an obscure magazine called Montreal Planet. But The Canadian Press has obtained an email from Mouammar, in which he forwarded the flyer to others. Several days before Saturday's leadership vote, it wound up being posted on a website operated by an immigrant advocacy group.
Mouammar wrote on that website that the flyer had "nothing to do with Bob Rae's and his wife's religion and ethnicity but has a lot to do with their political views."
"It is well-known that Bob Rae himself is hostile to Palestinians and Arabs," Mouammar wrote.
He added that "his wife's leadership position in the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) should be a matter of concern to everyone" and went on to condemn the CJC as "an ardent supporter of Israel, lam basts (sic) anyone who dares to criticize Israel and resorts to undermining human rights and civil liberties to protect Israel's war crimes."
Ed Morgan, president of the Canadian Jewish Congress, called on the Liberal party Thursday to denounce the flyer.
While it's legitimate to criticize a candidate's position on the Middle East, Morgan said there can be only one purpose in raising the fact that Rae's wife is a member of the Congress's board: "It's strictly to say that his wife is a Jew."
But the flyer wasn't the only example of anti-Semitic attacks on Rae.
On another website, operated by a Montreal-based pro-Palestinian group, Liberals were urged about a week before the leadership vote: ``Do not vote for Bob Rae, we're not looking or another Zionist PM."
The group recommended that delegates vote for Gerard Kennedy, the fourth-place contender whose dramatic decision to throw his support to Stephane Dion after the second ballot clinched the victory for Dion. It said that "voting for Bob Rae is a vote for the daily massacre in Palestine (and) . . . for a new Zionist PM in Canada."
Rae could not be reached for comment Thursday but insiders say he was aghast and hurt by the attacks.
The smears have raised broader questions about the role that blocs of ethnic delegates played at the convention in securing a stunning, come-from-behind victory for Dion.
On the opening day of the leadership convention, the Muslim Canadian Congress blasted "self-styled leaders from the Muslim community" for suggesting they could direct Muslim delegates to vote en masse for the candidate of their choice.
"Muslim delegates at the convention are not a herd of cattle for sale to the highest bidder," Muslim Canadian Congress vice-president Salma Siddiqui said in a release.
Siddiqui, a supporter of frontrunner Michael Ignatieff, accused Mohamed Elmasry, head of the Canadian Islamic Congress, of trying to bargain with leadership candidates on behalf of some 200 to 300 Muslim delegates.
Heading into the convention, the CIC had interviewed the top contenders and ranked Dion and Kennedy as the "most desirable potential winners," based on their track records and stands on ``vital national and international issues." Rae was next while Ignatieff ranked as the least desirable of the top four.
Elmasry said Thursday that Siddiqui's charges were "nonsense" and "an insult" to Muslim delegates, implying that they had "no brain of their own."
He said the CIC held a breakfast meeting with the top four candidates last Saturday morning, just before voting on the second ballot began, to give them all an equal chance to impress Muslim delegates. He said the council was trying to engage and educate Muslim delegates, not herd them.
Elmasry added that he assured Rae that his wife's religion "is not an issue for us."
But Tarek Fatah, a Rae supporter and member of the Muslim Canadian Congress, said appeals to "tribalism" went well beyond the Muslim delegates. He said Kennedy, despite his claim to represent party renewal, was the candidate who benefited most from the support of Muslim, Sikh, Ukrainian and Tamil blocs, who moved en masse to Dion after the second ballot.
"This is a step back," Fatah said in an interview, adding that Kennedy has "taken us back to the '30s and '40s" when Catholics and Protestants voted in blocs.
"It's tainting the political system where policies aren't being discussed but race, ethnicity and religion (are pivotal)."
Toronto MP Navdeep Bains, who is credited with moving 237 Sikh delegates from Kennedy to Dion, said Fatah's complaints are simply ``sour grapes."
"Like anyone else, as a member of Parliament and as a member of the community, you try to exert as much influence as you possibly can," he said in an interview.
"That's what it really boils down to, the ability to exert influence and try to convince people about the right decision. But ultimately, the delegates made up their own minds."
Bains said the group of delegates he influenced were not only Sikhs but from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.
Kennedy could not be reached for comment.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anti-Semitic Liberals? Don't know where that comes from.

Rae was owned/supported by the Canadian Jewish Congress. His wife is a vice president of that organization. The whole argument was about a large block of Arab delegates who moved from Kennedy to Dion. There apparently was a flier circulated that made anti-Semitic comments about Rae. The CJC contend the flier was circulated by the Canadian Arab Federation who deny it.
The flyer was produced and e-mailed to all MPs by Ron Saba, editor of an obscure magazine called Montreal Planet.

The article doesn't support the title.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Anti-Semitic Liberals? Don't know where that comes from.

Rae was owned/supported by the Canadian Jewish Congress. His wife is a vice president of that organization. The whole argument was about a large block of Arab delegates who moved from Kennedy to Dion. There apparently was a flier circulated that made anti-Semitic comments about Rae. The CJC contend the flier was circulated by the Canadian Arab Federation who deny it.

The article doesn't support the title.
I think the statement to Rae's wife as well as the further distorbution of the email without clarification or condemnation, speaks volumes about the members of the Liberal party.

Just as your assertion Harpo(Harper, I just like this monicker better, lol.) has a Christian agenda, due to his association with the Evanglists, I assert that this is indicitive of the mindset of the Liberal party and has its basis in the long time anti semitic feelings of the Quebecois filled members list of the Liberal party.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Get a grip Bear.

I can't see anything but a running battle between the CJC, the CAF

Nowhere do you mention that the flyer was produced and e-mailed to all MPs by Ron Saba, editor of an obscure magazine called Montreal Planet. Is Ron Saba a liberal? Maybe he is...I don't know. You don't either, or you would have written it.

The idea that Quebecers, are anti-Semetic, so the Liberals must be anti-Semetic, is pure nonsense.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Get a grip Bear.

I can't see anything but a running battle between the CJC, the CAF

Nowhere do you mention that the flyer was produced and e-mailed to all MPs by Ron Saba, editor of an obscure magazine called Montreal Planet. Is Ron Saba a liberal? Maybe he is...I don't know. You don't either, or you would have written it.

The idea that Quebecers, are anti-Semetic, so the Liberals must be anti-Semetic, is pure nonsense.
Yes such complete nonsence I started another thread to deal with the Quecec seperatists and The Liberal anti semitic agenda.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
In all fairness to CDNbear it's time we admitted that when one individual or even a group expresses or demonstrates inappropriate behavior that ALL of that group and ANYONE we can identify as a potential member of that group are the same. Take native Canadians for instance....

Oka Ipperwash Caledonia...it seems obvious that these folk don't enjoy the facility to peaceful demonstration and prefer to push burning railway ties and debris into fires built on public roadways...They're all the same....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
In all fairness to CDNbear it's time we admitted that when one individual or even a group expresses or demonstrates inappropriate behavior that ALL of that group and ANYONE we can identify as a potential member of that group are the same. Take native Canadians for instance....

Oka Ipperwash Caledonia...it seems obvious that these folk don't enjoy the facility to peaceful demonstration and prefer to push burning railway ties and debris into fires built on public roadways...They're all the same....
Oh that was cute mickey,

Wanna take this to the appropriate thread and hash it out, I think I'm better equipt then you to chastise my own people for assinine actions as such. I assert that you have lettle to no knowledge of the back ground on any of those cases.

The Liberal party di nothing to stem the dispersal of thsi piece, in fact it furthered its reach by continuously "forwording" it.

That speaks volumes, no matter what your ethnicity is. Seeing as thsi was a leadership convention, the cream of the crop so to speak were the conveyors of the document in question, no matter who its author was.

So do they not bear some responsiblity, for failing to end its dispercal? Or werethe funny additions to the email and subsiquent address to Rae's wife, constitute a minority movement within the Liberal party?

Toro

Senate Member
Hmm, I wonder if the Hezbollah/Hamas wing of the Quebec Liberal Party had anything to do with this type of nonsense.

Rae target of anti-Semitic attacks in campaign
Dec. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM
JOAN BRYDEN
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA—Bob Rae was the target of anti-Semitic attacks during the Liberal leadership contest, motivated at least in part by the fact his wife is Jewish. Sources close to Rae say that his wife, Arlene Perly Rae, was approached during last weekend's convention by a delegate who didn't realize she was the candidate's wife. The delegate told her not to vote for Rae "because his wife is Jewish."Perly Rae stonily informed the delegate that she was the wife in question. The delegate beat a hasty retreat. Rae team insiders contend the incident was part of a larger pattern of anti-Semitic smears on Rae. A flyer was circulated electronically among convention delegates denouncing Rae for having once delivered a speech to the Jewish National Fund, a group the flyer said was complicit in "war crimes and ethnic cleansing." "Rae's wife is a vice-president of the CJC (Canadian Jewish Congress), a lobby group which supports Israeli apartheid," said the flyer. "Bob Rae supports Israeli apartheid. Don't elect a leader who supports apartheid." The Canadian Jewish Congress has condemned the flyer and blamed Khaled Mouammar, president of the Canadian Arab Federation for circulating it. The federation has, in turn, accused the CJC of making "a pitiful attempt to discredit" it and has denied producing or distributing the flyer. Nevertheless, in a release yesterday, the federation supported the content of the flyer. "CAF believes that Canadians have the right to know the factual information provided" in the flyer, the federation said. It went on to say that the Jewish National Fund manages all state lands in Israel and allows only Jews to live on such land, a "practice that amounts to ethnic cleansing." The flyer was produced and emailed to all MPs by Ron Saba, editor of a magazine called Montreal Planet. But Canadian Press has obtained an email from Mouammar, in which he forwarded the flyer to others. Several days before the leadership vote, it wound up being posted on a website operated by an immigrant advocacy group. Mouammar wrote on that website that the flyer had "nothing to do with Bob Rae's and his wife's religion and ethnicity but has a lot to do with their political views." The flyer wasn't the only example of attacks on Rae. On another website, operated by a Montreal-based pro-Palestinian group, Liberals were urged about a week before the leadership vote: "Do not vote for Bob Rae, we're not looking for another Zionist PM."
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1165531811169

I.N. Daily urges’ all delegates to the Canadian Liberal Party Convention
November 24, 2006

Next weekend the delegates to the Canadian Liberal Party Convention will gather in Montreal to choose the upcoming Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, this chosen person is mostly will be the Canadian next PM in minority government, so we have to chose:

In spite that the delegates been chosen per candidates, but starting from the second ballot every delegate has the right to chose independently; and because the vote is very close between 4 of the candidate there will be more than one ballot.

IN daily recommend Gerard Kennedy and urge all not to vote for Bob Rae because voting for Bob Rae is a vote for the daily massacre in Palestine is a voting for a new Zionist PM in Canada.

http://indaily.net/?p=2756

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
CDNbear

Your assumption regarding my knowledge of issues you cite aside for the moment, what's the difference between blaming..."Holding the Liberal party executive responsible for not ensuring that anti-Semitic slurs are published at their behest and paid for by them..." and making the assumption based on the behavior of a few radical native protesters that these sentiments reflect the considered opinion of the majority of native people?

My issue isn't with those who've illegally occupied government and private property as protest over land claims, or even those who've piled burning tires and ties on roads that every Canadian taxpayer paid for or any of the other behaviours including gunfire at these protests by police or protesters. My issue is with the decision that any kind of judgment can be made regarding the attitude and philosophy of an entire group of people (How many Liberal Party of Canada members are there in Canada??) on the basis of so limited a perspective.

There is a thriving illegal trade in tobacco and other commodities that has prospered for a few on the basis of the relative ease with which natives can cross the border. When does an illegal activity like smuggling, tobacco arms or anything else become legitimate political or cultural protest?

Your contribution implies that because the offending piece was presented with the knowledge and approval of some Liberals that ALL Liberals can be justifiably tarred with the same brush...

Poor argument my friend and if the same metric were applied to smuggling and crime as representative of native culture in North America...that would be at least as fair as labelling Liberals who didn't even know about, read or participated in this behavior.

Inductive reasoning works and so does deductive reasoning but I think you're contribution represents less considered reasoning than it does political and prejudicial bias.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CDNbear

Your assumption regarding my knowledge of issues you cite aside for the moment, what's the difference between blaming..."Holding the Liberal party executive responsible for not ensuring that anti-Semitic slurs are published at their behest and paid for by them..." and making the assumption based on the behavior of a few radical native protesters that these sentiments reflect the considered opinion of the majority of native people?

My issue isn't with those who've illegally occupied government and private property as protest over land claims, or even those who've piled burning tires and ties on roads that every Canadian taxpayer paid for or any of the other behaviours including gunfire at these protests by police or protesters. My issue is with the decision that any kind of judgment can be made regarding the attitude and philosophy of an entire group of people (How many Liberal Party of Canada members are there in Canada??) on the basis of so limited a perspective.

There is a thriving illegal trade in tobacco and other commodities that has prospered for a few on the basis of the relative ease with which natives can cross the border. When does an illegal activity like smuggling, tobacco arms or anything else become legitimate political or cultural protest?

Your contribution implies that because the offending piece was presented with the knowledge and approval of some Liberals that ALL Liberals can be justifiably tarred with the same brush...

Poor argument my friend and if the same metric were applied to smuggling and crime as representative of native culture in North America...that would be at least as fair as labelling Liberals who didn't even know about, read or participated in this behavior.

Inductive reasoning works and so does deductive reasoning but I think you're contribution represents less considered reasoning than it does political and prejudicial bias.
I beg to differ.

If the fundamental principal of the offending piece was found to be offensive, then it should have been noted and then summarily attacked and deleted by the "leaders" of the Liberal party, that recieved it in the first place. But instead, it was forworded on and on and in a few unconfirmed cases, with additions of humour and affirmations. It was only brought to light after the fact and was not brought to bear scrutiny by the party itself, but by the people it slighted.

Where as, the occupiers of the disputed land in Caledonia, are not being endorced by the National leaders of the Native peoples, your comparison is irrelavent and just wrong.

If you wish to continue that debate on how and why Natives take such actions, perhaps you would be willing to jump into a more appropriate thread. I would be more then happy to engage your train of thought on the subject there.

Last edited: