Rae campaign banner looks a little orange under light of Liberal convention

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By Les Perreaux

MONTREAL (CP) - Liberal red is looking a little orange for leadership hopeful Bob Rae.

Rae's gigantic sign at the entrance of the Montreal convention centre has some delegates taking a second look. Is the former NDP premier of Ontario and relative Liberal newcomer advertising under Liberal red or NDP orange? "I deny it," Rae said with a guffaw in the shadow of his giant orangish sign Wednesday. "It's a good red!"

Rae's not the only one with colour issues. Stephane Dion's welcome banner is more burgundy than Liberal red. Gerard Kennedy has managed to avoid the issue altogether by going with a two-tone red motif.

-

Liberals are selling an eclectic mix of sex and serious Liberal history at their merchandise table.

Among the dusty old propaganda posters bragging about Liberal solidarity with the working man is a stack of dainty black thong underwear with a blazing red logo saying, "I'm Liberal."

"These are the things are really the hot seller right now," said Michelle Paquette, the Liberal party's operations manager, holding up the black cotton number.

The table also illustrates some of the lost art in political advertising.

An early poster for Wilfrid Laurier shows the "Old Pilot" at the helm of a ship. A life preserver hangs off the side with "Canada: The New Nation" emblazoned on the side.

Laurier's name is nowhere to be seen.

"I thought that was pretty good with this whole nation thing," Paquette said.

One poster for Mackenzie King features a list of facts and figures bragging about balanced budgets and the financial responsibility of his government.

Most of the modern posters from Lester B. Pearson to Paul Martin are full-face portraits of statesman-like men.

"We're trying to go for fun and a nostalgic kinda mood," Paquette said.

-

Stephane Dion is making tracks with his white Siberian husky, Kyoto.
Dion named the dog after the environmental protocol of the same name.
At a launch party for Dion's leadership campaign at a Montreal restaurant, a clever supporter handed out buttons replacing the 'O' in Dion with a paw print.
"Anyone who calls their dog Kyoda has my committed support," said one Dion fan, mangling the name of the Japanese city where the deal to cut greenhouse gas emissions was struck.
As environment minister, Dion was a staunch defender of the plan. Now he needs to broaden his appeal if he hopes to be Liberal leader. And he has a plan.
"We'll show them something - that in the Stephane Dion team we are fun and we are nice people!" Dion said.