Mandatory Service.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know this will likely rattle a few cages, but none the less, here it is.

In Israel, the youth must serve at least one tour with the Isareli Defence Force.

I think this is a great idea. It should be addopted here in Canada.

I can tell you, that despite my run-in with the law after my two tours, I actually learned quite a bit in the Armed Forces. My issues that were present prior to, during and post my service, were more or less aggression issues. Something I eventually beat. I do believe, that had I not served. I would likely not have over come these issues and would have been a system sucker the rest of my life.

Further more, I think it not only benneficial to the youth of today, but also to the Nation who's teat they had been latched to, until that point. It instills things like self reliance, pride, ingenuity, improvisation, self-esteem, accountablity, respect and a strong work ethic.

I believe that it would stem the tide of violence, sloth, welfarism, un-accountablity and complacency in the youth of today. Thus helping to change Canada's laxadaisical attitude.

Am I wrong or right?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Do you think a political party would survive if that was part of their platform?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Iam going to dissagree, well the idea has good merit.

I dont think we should, we dont exactlly need to do that. People who go to university go....people who want to sit around and work a job, fine let them, we shouldnt make people dosomething they dont want to do. Thats My opinion anyway people should want to Join the MIllitary.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think it's pointless. I lived in the Czech Rep. where military service was mandatory. The boys I knew who went through it really didn't benefit from it and I don't see how the country benefitted at all. The military is meant to be a defense force, not some sort of social work project.

I know that sounds wierd coming from a bleeding heart like me... :)

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Plus, I think it's kind of insulting to the military. It insinuates that anyone can be a soldier. I don't believe that.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
What about Youths who are in conflict with the law getting the chance to do their soft time or joining a Cadet Program??? Some of these kids really only need structure and order, it would do them a world of good. It would of scared me straight, I hate taking orders.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
What about Youths who are in conflict with the law getting the chance to do their soft time or joining a Cadet Program??? Some of these kids really only need structure and order, it would do them a world of good. It would of scared me straight, I hate taking orders.
Did the Courts get rid of Millitary dutie rullings? I know they use to have it...they should bring that back for young offenders,18 to 22

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Not likely, to many whimps in C eh N eh D eh. The opposition would plotz!

I think that it is more that we respect human liberty too much to force people into a tramatic* (and potentially life threatening) job like that.

SassieLassie said:

I think that is a fantastic idea. I'm always in favour of alternatives to the nauseatingly pathetic 'youth justice system.' Making that an alternative to jail time would do quite a bit of good.

* Before anyone jumps on this, remember that there is a reason why CFs do psych testing as an entrance requirement.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
It'll never fly. Guarranted there would be loop holes for certain elite people and their families. Or ways to buy your way out. In the end those with no political connections or money would be the only ones doing it.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
It'll never fly. Guarranted there would be loop holes for certain elite people and their families. Or ways to buy your way out. In the end those with no political connections or money would be the only ones doing it.

Not to mention that those of us who want to be here(at least in the U.S. military), really don't want the malcontents who don't want to be there to be around us.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not to mention that those of us who want to be here(at least in the U.S. military), really don't want the malcontents who don't want to be there to be around us.
Ah, but I hold conscientious objecters, that sat in the grass right beside other Soldiers who fought, in high regards. They at least had the courage to both object and still not run away.

If you are talking about bitchers, about being there. Staff Sgt's have a way of fixing them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I mean when you say service of our nation, does that have to be some sort of military service or could it just be any type of volunteer work in a young person's own community?
Nope, I mean military Service, Army, Air Force or Navy.

I believe all 18 year olds should be made to give at least two years upon leaving High School to military service. I'm not sure if I would force them into combat situations. I would prefer to have someone willing to be there next to me, rather then someone that did not. So combat or Peace Keeping operations, could be voluntary. What do you think?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Nope, I mean military Service, Army, Air Force or Navy.

I believe all 18 year olds should be made to give at least two years upon leaving High School to military service. I'm not sure if I would force them into combat situations. I would prefer to have someone willing to be there next to me, rather then someone that did not. So combat or Peace Keeping operations, could be voluntary. What do you think?

Like I said, I lived in a country that did that and I don't see the real benefit. For some people the military service can be a great thing, for others it is unecessary. 2 years is a long time when you're 18. If I had to do that, I wouldn't have been able to be an exchange student and I don't know if I would have gone into nursing or not considering how the waitlists skyrocketed (there were 3 candidates for every spot the year I applied, by the following year it was 6!). I turned out pretty normal without military service anyways.

Plus, how exactly do we pay for this? Are we going to take the money out of the little we already have to spend on the military?