Al-Qaeda warns Canada it will attack us like 911.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
For the nay sayers do you need more proof that Terrorism is alive and kicking in Canada. I guess we have these Islamic Fanatics on the run, cowards filthy vile cowards. We'll show them who is second rate crusaders.

Stewart Bell, National Post

Published: Saturday, October 28, 2006
OTTAWA - An al-Qaeda strategist has warned Canada to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan or face terrorist attacks similar to 9/11, Madrid and the London transit bombings.
The threat, attributed to a member of the al-Qaeda information and strategy committee, condemns Prime Minister Stephen Harper for refusing to pull out of Afghanistan.
It also refers to Canada's "fanatic adherence to Christianity" as well as its purported attempts to "damage the Muslims" and its support for the "Christian Crusade" against al-Qaeda.
"Despite the strong, increasing opposition to spread its forces in the fire of South Afghanistan, it seems that they will not learn the lesson easily," Hossam Abdul Raouf writes.
"They will either be forced to withdraw their forces or face an operation similar to New York, Madrid, London and their sisters, with the help of Allah."
The document, written in July, was obtained and translated by the SITE Institute, a U.S. non-profit group that monitors terrorist Web sites for clients, many of them in government.
It is the second reference in recent weeks to al-Qaeda singling out Canada because of its role in Afghanistan.
Last month, Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman Al-Zawahiri, referred to Canadian troops in Kandahar as "second-rate Crusaders."
The increasing focus on Canada in jihadist propaganda follows last June's arrest of 17 terrorist suspects in Toronto and comes as Canada is debating its role in NATO-led combat operations in southern Afghanistan.
The text of the threat suggests that al-Qaeda is aware of divisions within Canada over the mission, pointing to public opinion polls and opposition within Parliament.
It is also consistent with analysis by Canadian intelligence officials who report that al-Qaeda views Canada as a "priority target" because of the country's high-profile role in Afghanistan and its close relationship with the United States in the war on terrorism.
"Despite the differences between the Canadian foreign policy and its U.S. counterpart, and despite the hatred the Canadian people harbour towards the Americans -- their bad neighbours who cannot hold back their damage from them -- they agree with them regarding leading the Christian Crusade in Afghanistan and confronting al-Qaeda there," it says.
"They use the same excuses that are used by the British and others. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said: 'The Canadians learned from the 9/11 attacks against the U.S. that a terrorist threat can enter into our private borders. The Afghani government wants us there, and we are fighting a truly abominable enemy. This is in our national interest. I believe that what we are doing is extraordinary. We will take a commanding role in the province of Kandahar.' "
The suspected "homegrown" Canadian extremists arrested by the RCMP in Toronto on June 2 were allegedly motivated partly by their anger over Afghanistan. Authorities claim they intended to take hostages on Parliament Hill and kill the Prime Minister unless he withdrew troops from Afghanistan and released all Muslims from Canadian prisons.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada warns Al-Qaeda, hell hath no fury like that of Canada's "Bastard Sons". Our door step was close enough, across the 49th is a nation of sleeping giants, made complacent by lack of historical awareness and successive pacifist leaders,,,

awake those giants, and suffer their wrath.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
If someone invades a country which has not attacked them then is there is anyone who can be surprised that there will be reprisals in one form or another? If Canada gets hit, we deserve it now.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If someone invades a country which has not attacked them then is there is anyone who can be surprised that there will be reprisals in one form or another? If Canada gets hit, we deserve it now.

Ah, excuse me?

First of all, the terrorists that attacked the WTC on 9-11 were part of a group that trained in Afghanistan. They were in Afghanistan. The gov't of Afghanistan sheltered them, and refused to cease aiding them. That makes them party to an act of war.

24 Canadians (I believe) were killed at the WTC.

We are part of a treaty in which we are obligated to treat any attack on North America as an attack on US!

End of story.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
You are excused, Colpy.

The attack took place in a foreign country. While sad that Canadians died during the course of events, it does not negate the fact that the attack still took place in a foreign country.

The 'politics' in Afghanistan have been done to death but suffice to say, the U.S. had a hand in sustaining the country during the Russian Invasion years and never really let them out from under the their thumb.

The beautiful thing about NATO is that we are able to provide assistance in many forms, not necessarily sending in the troops and machines. We have MADE ourselves a target by agreeing to play an offensive role in this dispute and any repercussions are entirely our own doing. We were not bound by treaty to invade a foreign country... this is the reason we had a debate on this very topic in the Commons... the option to provide "logistical" and "rebuilding" assistance was the obvious, primarily preferred and most sensible choice... it's unfortunate we decided to stray from our peaceful, constructive global role. Now we get to reap what we have sown.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Bravo, Canucklehead ... about time somebody said that. No one has attacked Canada to my knowledge so why the big justification? Mind our own biz, is what I say.

North America, Colpy? Gedoutdahere ... the 49th parallel sets the boundaries. We are not part of the US, nor are we responsible for their leaders. Don't even go there!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Bravo, Canucklehead ... about time somebody said that. No one has attacked Canada to my knowledge so why the big justification? Mind our own biz, is what I say.

North America, Colpy? Gedoutdahere ... the 49th parallel sets the boundaries. We are not part of the US, nor are we responsible for their leaders. Don't even go there!!

No, but we are part of a NATO, and of the Organization of American States. Members of both organizations signed mutual defense agreements that provide that any attack on one member is to be considered an attack on all members.

That makes 9-11 very much our business.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
No, Colpy, it does not. That is a US issue. We have no control over decisions made there since we cannot vote for the leadership that makes those decisions. Bush is a war mongerer and we are not responsible to pick up the tab on his neurosis.

My sympathies go out to the Americans who have to live under that guy. Unlike us, they are involved.

As for being part of NATO, wtf can Canada do? We're just a bunch of peace keepers and folks that come in to clean up after the fact. We have more ferry boats than war ships ... that oughta tell ya we're not real into the fighting part of things.

I still say 9-11 is none of our business.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
The attack took place in a foreign country. While sad that Canadians died during the course of events, it does not negate the fact that the attack still took place in a foreign country.

You need to read, Nuckle-head, read the two part declaration of war that was presented by Al Queda after the jubilation in the Eastern world over the deaths of our collegues, friends, and fellow Canadians.

We have MADE ourselves a target by agreeing to play an offensive role in this dispute and any repercussions are entirely our own doing.

We have agreed????!!!! ARE YOU PART OF THE PLANET? If you READ the article SassyLassie posted, you might notice that it mentions the Toronto plot that was foiled this summer. Are you suggesting we deserve to be targeted by this maniac who is trying to control the world??? Our country is not about being cowards and allowing these declarations of war and constant threats scare us, our country has be known for courage and for standing up for freedom no matter what the cost. Your attitude is really shocking.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Umm Colpy,

Afghanistan did not attack us. A group of people who, according to the Bushco, are a global entity, attacked the U.S.A. Since we have some here and a few in Britain and a handful or more in the U.S.A. (among many nations out there) does this mean that no country is safe from them (the U.S.)? Does it also mean Canada is obligated to invade any country in which A.Q. members reside? As well... if ya want to get technical, a vast majority of the attackers were Saudi's... so uhhh why is Saudi Arabia still a sovereign nation unlike Afghanistan

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Northstar,

As a moderator on this forum I will not lower myself to your juvenile level of name calling.

The article and plot you reference I remember and do not argue with. But, if you had read MY post, you'd have noticed that I said we deserve wot we get for our invasion. The plot was hatched and stopped well AFTER the invasion. Please do keep up

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Northstar.......CHILL!

No, Colpy, it does not. That is a US issue. We have no control over decisions made there since we cannot vote for the leadership that makes those decisions. Bush is a war mongerer and we are not responsible to pick up the tab on his neurosis.

My sympathies go out to the Americans who have to live under that guy. Unlike us, they are involved.

As for being part of NATO, wtf can Canada do? We're just a bunch of peace keepers and folks that come in to clean up after the fact. We have more ferry boats than war ships ... that oughta tell ya we're not real into the fighting part of things.

I still say 9-11 is none of our business.

Okay, but before we decide to totally ignore our international obligations.......which we took on completely voluntarily......we should consider the fact that the only reason we have no military, and have had none since the early seventies, is that we were protected by the Americans.

That simple.

Like it or not, we OWE them. They have helped protect since 1948, and have protected us all alone since that arsehole Trudeau gutted our military capabilities.

We managed to do enough way back in late 2001 and early 2002 in Afghanistan to earn special mention in Osama's lovely Dispatches from the Dark Ages. (They REALLY didn't like our snipers
) So, we're already in it to our ears.

I am disgusted other NATO members are not stepping up to the plate as they should in southern Afghanistan, and without a lot additional help from NATO members we should probably book the F**& out of there WHEN our commitment ends in 2009..................

but we're stuck until then.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
If you READ the article SassyLassie posted, you might notice that it mentions the Toronto plot that was foiled this summer. Are you suggesting we deserve to be targeted by this maniac who is trying to control the world??? Our country is not about being cowards and allowing these declarations of war and constant threats scare us, our country has be known for courage and for standing up for freedom no matter what the cost. Your attitude is really shocking.

His attitude is shocking? <snigger> And you are the picture of rational debate?

Sassy posting an article like this comes as no surprise. Her politics are obvious and, despite my personal feelings about her, she has every right to view the world from whatever rock she crawls out from under. I defend her right to do that.

This is not about being cowards ... it's about taking a stand on the issue. It's none of our business. When another country attacks Canada, then I will reconsider my position. Till then we are simply borrowing trouble. It's like standing behind the bully in the school yard cheering him on ... a position I find terribly distasteful.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Umm Colpy,

Afghanistan did not attack us. A group of people who, according to the Bushco, are a global entity, attacked the U.S.A. Since we have some here and a few in Britain and a handful or more in the U.S.A. (among many nations out there) does this mean that no country is safe from them (the U.S.)? Does it also mean Canada is obligated to invade any country in which A.Q. members reside? As well... if ya want to get technical, a vast majority of the attackers were Saudi's... so uhhh why is Saudi Arabia still a sovereign nation unlike Afghanistan

All true.......except that the terrorists were based in Afghanistan, trained in Afghanistan, aided by Afghanistan, protected by Afghanistan, and Afghanistan refused to modify their behaviour..........that all adds up to an act of war on 9-11.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
All true.......except that the terrorists were based in Afghanistan, trained in Afghanistan, aided by Afghanistan, protected by Afghanistan, and Afghanistan refused to modify their behaviour..........that all adds up to an act of war on 9-11.

I agree, Colpy ... but what does that have to do with Canada? 9-11 is an American issue. If your neighbour declares war on the folks across the street, does that mean you have to get involved? Same principle here. Our neighbour has some issues ... while we all should pay attention to the fallout, it's best to let them work it out themselves.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Perhaps if another person mention NATO, the people who, for some reason, can not understand that Canada has a moral and strategic obligation to follow a mandate that it willingly signed onto. Hence the operation in Afghanistan is a NATO operation, as a memeber of NATO was attacked. So the other members of NATO act in accordance of their obligations under the NATO mandate.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Colpy,

Fair enough and i understand that particular attitude to some extent. BUT... really now... was it necessary to take down an entire country when bombing the living ****e out of various training factilities would have sufficed? What about perhaps the seizing of assets of known AQ members? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

CDNBear,

As mentioned in an above post, there are more ways to assist our neighbours than joining an invasion on a soveriegn nation.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunetly Canuckle, a declaration of war was declared, therefore under our mandate as treaty member in NATO, we had an obligation to enforce security in a failed state(not a soveriegn nation), so that any further attacks would be halted. Hence our forces being deployed to Afghanistan. Whether or not you wish to admit it, it is fact. Our involvement in this conflict is a mandated pressence, not a dog and pony show for our supposed US masters. Even though our contribution is seen as an ammends for the sins or our successive pansy liberal governments.

Can we ever forget Cretiens, "da proof is da proof and den we hav da proof and it is proven dat da proof is da proof, den we hav da proof" nonesence. I'm glad we did not go it to Iraq, but we could have kept our dialogue with the US, behind closed doors, instead of airing it in an anti American way for pure biased sound bites and pandered dogma for the unwashed masses.

Toro

Senate Member

The Nazis never attacked Canada.

Why did we fight them?