Conspiracy of Silence

fruster-rated

Oct 27, 2006
For years, I have been working with or in the government. I have found that there is a disconnect between upper management and the reality of those who actually have to perform the work. Is this a news flash . . . NO. It is however wasting money, causing health issues, and preventing good employees from being able to perform to the height of abilities. I keep on hearing, "don't worry, it's all pensionable time", if that isn't the ultimate in "striving for mediocrity". As we are about to go through another "bust" cycle, I get very concerned that these cycles are created to ensure the silence of those who face the hardest battles. Is management too arrogent to admit that workers can find solutions to ease financial stress, or are they afraid of being "showed up". They keep using buzz words, and fly-by-night concepts to pay lip service to the problems. This seems to be a smoke screen to ensure that the money keeps flowing to our department, and when these do not work they continually blame it on "lack of resources". I have been listening to this for so long that when management speaks in general meetings al I get are the sounds of Charlie Brown's teachers. The biggest fib I hear is, "We are being held accountable for our decisions", which I have yet to witness with over 20 years of experience. Is anyone else tired of working for the uninspired? Could you save the government money but you boss won't hear of it? Is anyone tired of high taxes required to support government waste? Am I alone? Thanks for checking this out.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Frustrated, I agree with everything you wrote. There are times I feel like banging my head against a wall, not to injure myself but reduce my brain function so I can work with the people you've just described. Frustrating isn't it. Stay strong.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
My sympathies. It's damn tough to keep your priniciples in any large working environment. I often think if it weren't for waste and the people it employs half of the population might be seeking EIC. Just stick with it, choose your battles and slowly the difference you hope to make will occur. Good luck!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Thanks for checking this out.

I worked for the goverment for years and have to re-echo your sentiments. Those at the top do often strive for mediocrity and you'll only get ahead if you have friends or family at the top. I saw lots of good employees leave in frustration and ultimately left after many years.