Party Politics Destroying Canada

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
Does anyone realise that party politics, such as the Liberals wanting to declare Quebec a nation, east vs west power base, is more quickly destroying Canada then the most feared topic of 'becoming Americans'?

Honestly look at the response to the latest events in Quebec, with Duceppe pushing for soveriegnty by 2015, the number of negative comments about Quebec has soared off the chart. The ill will I see towards Alberta for its economic growth, and Calgary in particular for wanting a equal say in national politics, is astounding, not to mention the distrust most Albertans feel towards the east, and yet instead of trying to bridge this gap in the country, parties pander to their power base, liberals in the east, paying for votes with Canadian dollars (sponsership scandal), and Conservatives in the west, holding to the idea that maybe they might get into power if they completely ignore the east.

In the end if we cannot unite as Canadian's, dispite regional differences, then Canada doesn't deserve to exist.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Canada never got it through its thick doughy head that the number one obstacle to the nation's vitality was the lack of respectable representation in its parliament. We've never had it. By and large, most Canadians vote party rather than person because their local rep has no independence in the House. It's all a sham. We can blame this and we can blame that but put the blame where it really belongs- a meatball, club democracy that should never have been allowed to take shape here.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
"The decentralization of this country would (will) occur as long as Canadians think locally first and nationally second, unfortunately this is not a skill only honed by Quebec!!"

I wrote this on another thread but adding it here as well.

I appears to me that a fear of the U.S. is about the only thing that holds us together..heaven know what that fear is actually about?? But after that there is little that concerns us nationally.

This country is very Provincial and regional...maybe we fear the U.S. since it is so national with common goals and outlooks?

Yes politics in this nation will estroy the country. whatever gets a vote will be used no matter the results of that action, be it Quebec issues, Western values, Toronto centricism, or east coast neglict...If you grab one of those your sure to get a seat....and a nice big pension..yahoo who cares about the nation if you are personally set for life!!

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
I always found a certain irony in the way interparty/partisan bickering has made our political lanscape, at least, a lot more like the "Crap on a stick" vs "Crapsicle" kind of thing currently going on south of the Border

Sorta of like when certain more.... well, certain loudmouths come on here from other countries and call anyone showing the slightest sign of being a progressive type "Liberals", as if our so-named Liberal parties are even a shadow of what they supposedly represent.

Honestly, I had voted Liberal in the past but can't see casting a vote for anyone toeing that parties line- much like tamarin laments in his (maybe her, I don't know) most excellent, succint and perspicacious post, well done!

Our 2.5 party system is pretty much as stagnant as the US one, especially on the federal level and in certain provinces more than others

We tuly would be better to be governed by groups of individuals, with their own ideas, trying to form consensuses that work for the greater good of our population-

And tho I do see some parts of the NDP platform being along the lines of what I believe, the party. federally, has been getting more and more goofy- Laytons jump into the Stronach/Mackay "dog dispute" was totally shameful for me to observe, as it smacked of "they are BAD so that means we are GOOD" in the most childish way

The current "accepted" practice of all 3 "main" parties- to basically do all they can to make the other parties look bad, rather than actually DO SOMETHING, is a noose on our system and country. Given the minority Fed situation, mixed with the current "Crap on a stick vs Crapsicle" style of "debate", we are seeing the absolute worst side of a "democracy", in my opinion

Interesting topic to be sure

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
The current "accepted" practice of all 3 "main" parties- to basically do all they can to make the other parties look bad, rather than actually DO SOMETHING, is a noose on our system and country. Given the minority Fed situation, mixed with the current "Crap on a stick vs Crapsicle" style of "debate", we are seeing the absolute worst side of a "democracy", in my opinion

Definately.

Canada is need of some very big changes in both the electoral system (getting away from FPtP), campaign financing and accountablity. Senate reform must be a major part of that.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I always found a certain irony in the way interparty/partisan bickering has made our political lanscape, at least, a lot more like the "Crap on a stick" vs "Crapsicle" kind of thing currently going on south of the Border

Sorta of like when certain more.... well, certain loudmouths come on here from other countries and call anyone showing the slightest sign of being a progressive type "Liberals", as if our so-named Liberal parties are even a shadow of what they supposedly represent.

Honestly, I had voted Liberal in the past but can't see casting a vote for anyone toeing that parties line- much like tamarin laments in his (maybe her, I don't know) most excellent, succint and perspicacious post, well done!

Our 2.5 party system is pretty much as stagnant as the US one, especially on the federal level and in certain provinces more than others

We tuly would be better to be governed by groups of individuals, with their own ideas, trying to form consensuses that work for the greater good of our population-

And tho I do see some parts of the NDP platform being along the lines of what I believe, the party. federally, has been getting more and more goofy- Laytons jump into the Stronach/Mackay "dog dispute" was totally shameful for me to observe, as it smacked of "they are BAD so that means we are GOOD" in the most childish way

Interesting topic to be sure

Excellent Post

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Thank you,DD, and I have to say that I wish it was some sort of fiction, as it is I just bemoan the notion that it is pretty much the truth

And LittlerunningGag- HELLS yes, we need SOMETHING- the very fact that the main order of business for the past week since the unveiling of the "Clean Air" act (or whatever the joke-name was) has been something Peter Mackay has or has not said is truly sad. I mean, I don't like the guy much but we have people DYING in a foreign country, issues out the wah-zoo and somehow WE are PAYING these folks to bicker like schoolchildren about something that will affect, seemingly, maybe TWO people personally, TOTALLY ridiculous

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Thank you,DD, and I have to say that I wish it was some sort of fiction, as it is I just bemoan the notion that it is pretty much the truth

And LittlerunningGag- HELLS yes, we need SOMETHING- the very fact that the main order of business for the past week since the unveiling of the "Clean Air" act (or whatever the joke-name was) has been something Peter Mackay has or has not said is truly sad. I mean, I don't like the guy much but we have people DYING in a foreign country, issues out the wah-zoo and somehow WE are PAYING these folks to bicker like schoolchildren about something that will affect, seemingly, maybe TWO people personally, TOTALLY ridiculous

Nice response...was not...was too...of yeah...yeah.....Well you suck.....not like you...

If you feel at home watching Jerry Springer..you'll love the House!!

You never see things so out of hand in Congress?? Wonder why?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's the problem of low IQ. Entirely contentious but what's to be done about it? You talk to your MP and mention the problem and he or she gets all huffy. You persist and demand an answer. "So you think that's the problem? We're all stupid?!!!"
"Yes," I answer, "and I want to know what you intend to do about it."
Bull eyes glare blankly back.
I'm still waiting for an answer. This is the number one problem confronting the Canadian public today.
We must demand smarter reps.