Stronach demands apology

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Nothing like an ex-lovers quarrel in the House of Commons, I wonder if she will set Tie Domi loose on McKay?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...383&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

Stronach demands apology
Tory foreign minister denies calling ex-squeeze Stronach a dog
Oct. 20, 2006. 02:19 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — With a political storm swirling around allegations of sexist swagger, Belinda Stronach rose in the House of Commons today to defend her honour against a slur that some say was heard and others say was never uttered.
Stronach, showing no emotion, demanded an apology from Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay for using what she said was a “very inappropriate word to describe me.”
It wasn’t actually a word, but rather a reference allegedly made Thursday in the Commons.
The barely audible exchange was caught on an audio tape, with one MP asking “what about your dog?” and someone responding: “You have her.”
(Other reports have the exchange as, “Don’t you care about your dog?” and the reply as being, “You have her.”
(Speaker Peter Milliken says the words can barely be heard and there is no way of deciding what was actually said. (This didn't deter the Liberals from posting the tape on their party website, www.liberal.ca. )
The Liberals insist MacKay made the sexist response while pointing to Stronach’s empty seat.
MacKay posed with a dog at his side, on his family’s Nova Scotia farm, when he and Stronach broke up after her defection to the Liberal party in 2005.
The Liberals have taken every opportunity since to remind him of the breakup.
Outside the House, Stronach said that while she’s upset by the alleged slur, she says she’s more upset by what it says about the Conservative party.
“What I find more disappointing today is that it goes beyond this,” Stronach said.
“It is really a reflection of the character and of the attitude of this government toward women. The fact that no one would take responsibility for this kind of a comment today, I think, shows that.”
Conservative MP Jason Kenney, speaking for the government, said merely that the matter was in the hands of the Speaker and that all parties could show better decorum in the House.
He also claimed that a Liberal MP once called Environment Minister Rona Ambrose “a pretty plant.”
MacKay denied calling Stronach a dog, but he didn’t elaborate on precisely what he did say – if anything. He noted that there is no record of the alleged slur in the official transcript of House proceedings, known as Hansard.
“The Speaker will rule on that,” he said today after touring a sewage treatment plant on the Halifax waterfront. “They can check the record of Hansard. It’s not there. It’s not there. I said nothing about a dog.”
He accused the Liberals of trying to distract people with ``silly and scurrilous” allegations.
Speaker Milliken told the Commons that he can’t rule on the matter because there is no official record of the alleged slur and the audio tape is not clear.
That prompted the Liberals to request that the tape be sent to an audio expert for analysis.
All parties, smelling political blood, used the incident to hammer the Tories, with the Bloc Quebecois calling on MacKay to be booted from cabinet.
New Democrat MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis called the alleged remark ``sexist and demeaning.”
“I thought we were at a place in this House where women were no longer demeaned,” she said.
“Will no one in the Conservative party condemn this?”
Liberal House Leader Ralph Goodale said the incident “reveals a demeaning attitude toward members of this House and women in particular.
“This is not trivial. Sadly, it seems all too typical,” he said. “Typical of bullies — intolerant and vindictive. The instincts that give rise to this insult are fundamentally inconsistent with the values that make us a respectful and decent people.
“After depicting a woman as `his dog,’ how can the minister of foreign affairs pretend to promote women’s rights in Afghanistan or anywhere else?”
MacKay got himself into hot water during the last election campaign when he suggested former NDP Leader Alexa McDonough “stick to your knitting” – a familiar Maritime expression.
He later apologized.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
What we need to do is investigate all members of the Hosue. Put them on the run. Here's a list for all to answer. Should make them think!

As a member of the House you've attained Canada's highest political office and that is a wonderful privilege. However, we need to know that you're fit for office. Answer all questions truthfully:
1) Have you ever taken illegal drugs?
2) Have you ever in your life touched anyone under the age of 18 for a sexual purpose?
3) Have you ever shoplifted?
4) Have you ever cheated at any point in your school career?
5) Have you at any point in your political life 'used' someone to get ahead?

If you've answered 'yes' to any of the above we'll schedule town meetings in your riding for you to explain yourself to your constituents and field questions from the press.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What we need to do is investigate all members of the Hosue. Put them on the run. Here's a list for all to answer. Should make them think!

As a member of the House you've attained Canada's highest political office and that is a wonderful privilege. However, we need to know that you're fit for office. Answer all questions truthfully:
1) Have you ever taken illegal drugs?
2) Have you ever in your life touched anyone under the age of 18 for a sexual purpose?
3) Have you ever shoplifted?
4) Have you ever cheated at any point in your school career?
5) Have you at any point in your political life 'used' someone to get ahead?

If you've answered 'yes' to any of the above we'll schedule town meetings in your riding for you to explain yourself to your constituents and field questions from the press.

1. Yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. Don't have a political career. Wonder why? Seems I'm qualified.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Personally, I think the local Kennel Club should be demanding an apology from McKay on behalf of their clients.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
The dog should have apoligized to McKay when she walked across the floor. Even if McKay said what is claimed, he did nothing wrong...

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Mckay showed some backbone, good for him. She treated him very badly in front of the public, he shouldn't of compared her to a dog thou because dog's are loyal and trust worthy and she is neither.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Mckay showed some backbone, good for him. She treated him very badly in front of the public, he shouldn't of compared her to a dog thou because dog's are loyal and trust worthy and she is neither.

Couldn't agree more Sass!

Funny how all the women I heard on the radio call in shows today, thought it was quite funny. They must all be Conservatives, lol.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
It is funny Bear, she crossed the floor and didn't bother to tell her long time Con boyfriend. Hows that for being a fickle disloyal chick. I'm not a Con or a Lib but payback is sweet sometimes, I hope he doesn't apologise to her.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It is funny Bear, she crossed the floor and didn't bother to tell her long time Con boyfriend. Hows that for being a fickle disloyal chick. I'm not a Con or a Lib but payback is sweet sometimes, I hope he doesn't apologise to her.

I hope he doesn't either. She showed her true colours. Now she's trying to accuse the Cons of devaluing woman. Sheesh, she's a real valuable moral roll model, she's done more to put women in politics in a bad light, then Thatcher, lmao.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I hope there's an apology posted right after she posts an apology to the people who elected her.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Here's Belinda and I before I Hit It..
:rolleyes:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

That's the funniest thing I've ever read. HE dumped his long term fiance to have a fling with a rich important Tory woman, who then realized that he was an idiot who had sold out the PC party after promising not to.

He doesn't exactly hold the moral high ground; he only got where he is today because of his daddy and his sugar daddy, Mr Mulroney.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Captions....

"That's right...the carpet doesn't match the curtains any more than the style matches respectable fashion".

"I knit that for her...four drinks it was done!"

"Recycled carpet, now that's a Kyoto plan! I even made me a pair of socks out of it too!"

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist. :)

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Here's Belinda and I before I Hit It..
:rolleyes:

Seeing Belinda here doctored into a photo of Johnny Utah makes me feel even more sorry for her.

Also from the latest McKay gestures, it seems her leaving him was a good idea. How long has it been now and he still isn’t over it? What is this, high school? Is he really this unstable as an ex-boyfriend? How old is he? 40?

That aside, I really don’t tend to judge politicians by their breakups as long as their wasn’t physical abuse used. I do however judge politicians on how they break up political parties. Like Peter McKay did when he agreed not to dissolve the Progressive Conservatives Party into the Alliance in a signed agreement he had with David Orchard who conceded his base so McKay could assume party leadership.

Hey didn’t Belinda win her riding again in an election? So that would mean she does have the support of her constituents?

Perhaps McKay isn’t the only unstable one but Belinda’s critics as well for joining in the personal attacks rather than constructive criticism over her politics. Hard up over a different kind of breakup which does has it’s differences over the Emerson issue. That was pure opportunist and right after a Federal Election.

And honestly, I say this when I probably should have a bit of bad sentiment on Belinda too. After all, she was an integral broker in helping to orchestrate the merger between the Alliance and the Progressive Conservatives thus eliminating the avenue of representation for a moderate conservative voter. However that would still in no way warrant stooping so low as to make a gesture relating a female politician to a dog.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And this silly little spat is still on tv this morning. Corpse-like Craig Oliver looks suitably concerned as he reviews the facts of the sandlot debacle.
I've heard the tape twice now, placed it in context and I'm still wondering how we got such chimp-brained folk in our legislature.
Canada must do a helluva lot better in the quality of its House members if it hopes to make it through the coming hard times.