Quebecers lazy, Bouchard says

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Would you agree/disagree with Bouchards assesment that Quebecers are lazy & lack work ethic when compared to Ontario and the US?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...l_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

Quebecers lazy, Bouchard says
Oct. 17, 2006. 12:03 PM

MONTREAL (CP) — Former premier Lucien Bouchard has set off a firestorm of debate by saying Quebecers don't work hard enough.

The former sovereigntist leader says Quebec trails Ontario and the United States in economic terms, in part because its residents don't have the same work ethic.

In a television interview, Bouchard said Quebec is failing to make economic headway and that its future could be very, very difficult.

Labour leaders are outraged.

They say Quebecers are willing workers but that they want fair wages and a balance between work and family life.

Pierre Cere of the Conseil national des chomeurs, a group that advocates for the province's unemployed, says the comments are insulting.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
this is too easy!!!

Of course it's labour leaders who come out shouting right away!!

Why?, because Quebec is strangled by unions and their ways. I don't think Quebecers are more or less lazy then anyone else, however there is a culture of powerful unions in Quebec that stifles business.

With so much unionized power the province is constantly at the mercy of these groups. Quebec set up gov. daycare (unionized of course) and in few years they went on strike closing every day care in the province.

Quebec has a culture of underclass that prevents it's growth. Spending more time screaming about how unfair the English are and how downtradden they are instead of "damn the topedo's" full steam ahead...

I for one like Quebec, however the politics and labor relations are a huge stumbling block to their future

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
lazy? No Way! Just a different mindset on work and leisure. I don't see many Quebeckers working 3 jobs so they can buy all the latest crap.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Why is that a surprise?

France is the same.

?????

Why would you want to work 50-70 hours a week?? to make coorporation richer and richer? why you guys are ready to do that? it is not being lazy, it is being smart, people want to have a life in quebec , not working for crooks who doesnt give a damn about average peoples.

Why bouchard doesnt talk about polical-money corruption?? why people who are rich gets richer and richer, and those who are poor, get poorer and poorer?

You guys are ready to accept anything, just like wiretapping, patriot act and so on, pathetic you guys are.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Logic those of us who work hard expect more, those who do nothing collect welfare. Once you seperate Quebec can pay for all those whom are to lazy, weak, and lame to work. Enjoy supporting them, I'm tired of it.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I don't work 70 hours or a crook!!

I work 40 hours, hard for good pay...I don't need stress leave, 4 weeks vacation, and a gym in the basement of my office!

But when unions run the show..as they do in Quebec, it creates a us and them mentality. Very few of us work for mulinational corporations but thats how all work is presented. I work for one guy..it's his company, he built it up..he makes the profits and I get paid fairly..if I don't, or if I can't get along with him I find a new place to work..I have no right to my job!! I am here to make money for the company, He is not here to give me work.

The sooner unions (Quebec) finds this out the sooner we can be productive as a nation!!!

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
I don't work 70 hours or a crook!!

I work 40 hours, hard for good pay...I don't need stress leave, 4 weeks vacation, and a gym in the basement of my office!

But when unions run the show..as they do in Quebec, it creates a us and them mentality. Very few of us work for mulinational corporations but thats how all work is presented. I work for one guy..it's his company, he built it up..he makes the profits and I get paid fairly..if I don't, or if I can't get along with him I find a new place to work..I have no right to my job!! I am here to make money for the company, He is not here to give me work.

The sooner unions (Quebec) finds this out the sooner we can be productive as a nation!!!

That i have no problem with this, your work is really damn fair, your situation is surely not really popular in ontario isnt??however the way bouchard wants this, is people will have to work 50-70 hours a week.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
my situation is very normal in most parts of Canada including Ontario..
where it is not is Toronto where people think working 24/7 is a good thing.

Hence the reason I moved!! You don't let others i.e. unions tell you what is right and wrong, when to work, when to strike and then say you are impowered...you have the power to change things yourself..there is no need to listen to others but forge ahead with your own thoughts.

This has been a problem in Canda and moreso in Quebec, In Quebec it was first the Church that told everyone what to do..then the English..then the Politians then the Unions....
Break free Logic..find your own way..not what you've been told :)

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
There are lazy people everywhere and saying Quebecers are lazy is just a form of generalisation. Bouchard didn't use these words actually. There is quite a difference between talking about a society's work ethics and its laziness.

It's OK to pass a judgment on politics, policies, laws etc. But it is a bit more insulting when one feels judged on personal values... Not everyone has a dream job in which they are perfectly happy doing what they like best. Not everyone can identify themselves with their job. For many, the job is just a way to make money, pay the bills, and get something healthy inside your tummy. Some people like to have a life you know. And working 50-70 hours a week isn't necessarily everybody's idea of a stimulating life.

By his comments, I think Bouchard is doing a favor to Quebec by putting fuel on the fiery and necessary debate on unions. But this discussion has been going on for quite a while by the way. The problem I see with his comments is that it is so economically oriented that it is a bit alienating.

"Work more! Make more money!Spend more!" ... Is this the magical recipe for a healthy and fair economy?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I think we are overworked.

As a result:
Parents don't spend enough time with their children.
People don't do enough charity/community work
We warehouse the sick and the elderly and seldom visit them

The Death of the American Vacation
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Careers/story?id=2151399&page=1

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I think we are overworked.

As a result:
Parents don't spend enough time with their children.
People don't do enough charity/community work
We warehouse the sick and the elderly and seldom visit them

The Death of the American Vacation
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Careers/story?id=2151399&page=1

You so right, however people must find those values, as long as everyone deserves the biggest house, the newest car, every leason available to ti\hier kids, they will continue to work to hard and enjoy too little. If you want to live a less stressed life you must live in a less stressed way!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I also agree with you Bill and Earth as one, we have become a "Must Have" society ergo work harder to have more. I got off that treadmill years ago and I'm not getting back onto it, I value quality of "Life" over Quantity of stuff now. I own a small house in a small community where people matter. I'm not going back to keeping up with the Jones. I also agree with s-lone's perspective I don't like to sterio type people.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Yes!!!

me too left the big city and all the trappings...moved 30k south of Ottawa where I know all my neighbours and no need to keep up to no one!! Make enough to live and spend the rest of the time with family friends and church.... If it's too hot you have to leave the Kitchen right?

Toro

Senate Member
?????

Why would you want to work 50-70 hours a week?? to make coorporation richer and richer? why you guys are ready to do that? it is not being lazy, it is being smart, people want to have a life in quebec , not working for crooks who doesnt give a damn about average peoples.

Why bouchard doesnt talk about polical-money corruption?? why people who are rich gets richer and richer, and those who are poor, get poorer and poorer?

You guys are ready to accept anything, just like wiretapping, patriot act and so on, pathetic you guys are.

Getting ready for the Revolution, logic?

Productivity is lower in France than it is in the US. Is productivity lower in Quebec than it is in Canada? My guess is yes. I'll check and get back.

Why anyone would want to emulate an economy that has been in relative decline for 15 years - like France - is beyond me.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Getting ready for the Revolution, logic?

Productivity is lower in France than it is in the US. Is productivity lower in Quebec than it is in Canada? My guess is yes. I'll check and get back.

Why anyone would want to emulate an economy that has been in relative decline for 15 years - like France - is beyond me.

What about germany??
France economy isnt so bad, the anglo-saxon try very hard to put them down, withouth succes.

Working more hours, would result that coorporation will be more richer, and it isnt the solution, canada should invest less money in Military, invest it in making business, not sending money where united states has destroy a nation like in iraq, keep that money for jobs.

The US economy is in decline and this is for real, no wonder why EU is the strongest economy in the world, which france is part of, nice try.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
All together posters on this topic lets sing: Logic Canada is not in Irag, please get your facts straight. Logic the more hours one works the more take home pay for them. It's not rocket science.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Some people like to have a life you know. And working 50-70 hours a week isn't necessarily everybody's idea of a stimulating life.

Nonsense. Our former Premier, Lucien Bouchard is right on the mark on this one. We definitely don't work as hard as Ontarians and surely not as hard as the U.S. There is no valid excuse for this.

Business always comes before pleasure. Those who disagree should stop whining about how high taxes are and stop expecting the world on a silver platter. Unless of course they want to keep looking like a bunch of lazy hypocrites.

Toro

Senate Member
What about germany??
France economy isnt so bad, the anglo-saxon try very hard to put them down, withouth succes.

Working more hours, would result that coorporation will be more richer, and it isnt the solution, canada should invest less money in Military, invest it in making business, not sending money where united states has destroy a nation like in iraq, keep that money for jobs.

The US economy is in decline and this is for real, no wonder why EU is the strongest economy in the world, which france is part of, nice try.

:D:D

Not even close, Logic.

http://www.oecd.org/document/28/0,2340,en_2825_495684_2750044_1_1_1_1,00.html

Use tables 1b for the GDP data, and for foreign exchange rates use table C1. The data is after inflation and currency fluctuations, adjusted for purchasing power parity.

1980-1990
Australia -0.8%
Canada 2.8%
France 0.0%
Germany 3.5%
Italy -1.1%
Japan 8.7%
Spain -0.6%
Sweden -1.2%
UK -0.1%
USA 3.2%

1990-2000
Australia 0.5%
Canada 0.5%
France -0.6%
Germany -0.6%
Italy -4.0%
Japan 4.4%
Spain -3.0%
Sweden -2.4%
UK 0.8%
USA 3.3%

1995-2003
Australia 2.1%
Canada 3.2%
France 0.4%
Germany -1.0%
Italy 0.8%
Japan -1.7%
Spain 1.4%
Sweden 1.0%
UK 3.2%
USA 3.3%

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
:D:D

Not even close, Logic.

http://www.oecd.org/document/28/0,2340,en_2825_495684_2750044_1_1_1_1,00.html

Use tables 1b for the GDP data, and for foreign exchange rates use table C1. The data is after inflation and currency fluctuations, adjusted for purchasing power parity.

1980-1990
Australia -0.8%
Canada 2.8%
France 0.0%
Germany 3.5%
Italy -1.1%
Japan 8.7%
Spain -0.6%
Sweden -1.2%
UK -0.1%
USA 3.2%

1990-2000
Australia 0.5%
Canada 0.5%
France -0.6%
Germany -0.6%
Italy -4.0%
Japan 4.4%
Spain -3.0%
Sweden -2.4%
UK 0.8%
USA 3.3%

1995-2003
Australia 2.1%
Canada 3.2%
France 0.4%
Germany -1.0%
Italy 0.8%
Japan -1.7%
Spain 1.4%
Sweden 1.0%
UK 3.2%
USA 3.3%

This is just numbers, it is really well known there is a huge "black market" in france, which surely help the economy, and not mention in what you describes.