Canada and the U.N.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=8e690438-175d-49f3-abdd-80994b7a4a0e

Canada risks its nice image
John Ivison, National Post

Published: Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Canada's image as the Rotarian of the world community is about to be tarnished on the floor of the United Nations General Assembly.
The idea of a polite country that forges consensus, even when the results are flawed, has already been challenged by the announcement from Stephen Harper's government that Canada will not meet its Kyoto commitments.
Now Canada is set to oppose a declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples at the UN, a decision Phil Fontaine, National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, said will prove to be a "stain on Canada's reputation."
Canada has already opposed a draft version of the declaration. It lost a 30-2 decision at the UN's Human Rights Council, siding with Russia in opposition to a document that said indigenous people should be free from discrimination, with "the right to be considered different and to be respected as such."
The issue will move to the General Assembly next month and, in the eyes of the world, Canada could end up looking as if it favours discrimination against native people.
Things are, of course, not quite that simple. But Fontaine said he is "perplexed" why Canada is risking international opprobrium over an agreement he calls "an aspirational document" that is not legally binding.
"I've very disappointed that Canada would choose to walk with Russia on this matter," he said.
He said the Canadian position has shifted significantly under the Conservatives, and he believes the root cause may be opposition from the Prime Minister, who may have philosophical objections to any agreement that recognizes collective rights over individual rights. "It would appear to me that [Indian Affairs] Minister [Jim] Prentice is uncomfortable defending the government position," he said.
For his part though, Prentice is adamant he is the one running the file and that objections are practical, rather than philosophical. "This is not purely an aspirational document. Previous court decisions in Canada have referenced work of United Nations bodies and used them to interpret the law of Canada. To say it is only aspirational overlooks the fact that it contains a number of inconsistencies with Canadian law and policy," he said yesterday.
Prentice said such countries as Australia, New Zealand and the United States, which are not members of the Human Rights Council, have expressed their opposition to the draft declaration because it was not consistent with their policies.
Problems range from land rights to self-government; from environmental rights to military policy, he said. For example, one article says "indigenous peoples have the right to the lands, territories and resources which they have traditionally owned, occupied or otherwise used or acquired."
"Nothing could be more inconsistent with 200 years of Canadian treaty-making than that," said Prentice. "We have signed over 500 treaties over the last 200 years, which involved securing the consent of Aboriginal peoples to reconcile land ownership issues. So how can we conceivably sign a document in 2006 that puts all that at risk? ... I'm the Minister, and I'm quite resolute that this will not happen on my watch."

Canada has responded by calling for more discussion time to alter the text to accommodate concerns of countries that have constitutionally entrenched rights for indigenous people.
Both Fontaine and Prentice make a convincing case. Who can argue that international protection for indigenous people is a bad thing? On the other hand, the document is fundamentally flawed. One article says military activities can't take place on land that has traditionally been Aboriginal, which would mean the Department of National Defence would have to seek the permission of First Nations every time it had to act in time of emergency, conflict or disaster. Several other articles would give First Nations a veto over matters that affect not only them, but also the broader population. "How are you going to administer the country?" Prentice said.
Yet a call for more time and discussion seems redundant. The current document has been 20 years in the making. That's two-zero. Some countries that voted in favour of the declaration only did so because, like Britain, they have no indigenous peoples. France voted for its adoption but indicated "collective rights cannot prevail over individual rights" -- a position as contradictory as it is unsurprising. India voted in favour but said it defined its entire population as indigenous. And on and on.
As someone once commented about the UN, if it is a country unto itself, then the commodity it exports most is words. This should be borne in mind when the General Assembly adopts the declaration and the Harper government is dismissed as a bunch of Western cowboys.
jivison@nationalpost.com

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Very good job conservatives. Be compared to russia in rights to indigenous people. Yeah, Canada is going to loose alot of standing in the world, just because some right-wing philosophy over individual to collective rights.

Well Mr. Harper, Indigenous people do not work on individual rights so wake up.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Very good job conservatives. Be compared to russia in rights to indigenous people. Yeah, Canada is going to loose alot of standing in the world, just because some right-wing philosophy over individual to collective rights.

Well Mr. Harper, Indigenous people do not work on individual rights so wake up.

Which is a HUGE part of the problem.

Generally, people don't give a damn about property, or anything else, owned by the collective as opposed to the individual.

In case you hadn't noticed, Marxism failed.

The only rights are individual rights, the term "collective rights" is a whitewash of efforts to destroy individual rights.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Tough luck, Aboriginals never heard of marxist theory. They are driven on communal living, and the only way you are going to change that is do racist policies of the 1920s and discriminate against them.

So by that comment, Canada should discriminate against aboriginals which is what they are basically saying until they switich from their view, which is aboriginal world view to a Western world view run by the almight dollar that has already ruin them in ottawa's attwempts in the past.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
The sad part Researcher is that most of "Us" know very little about the Aboriginals' Belief and ethos. I think it's time the Feds coughed up the fur ball that is in the back of their throats and deal with the Native Issue's instead of stone-walling Treaty Issues. In many ways the Natives have been held hostage by the very "Courts" that are suppose to help them. The backlog and red tape is beyond comprehension.

P.S. Why don't you start a thread and educate some of us who would like to learn about Aboriginal Issues?

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
The sad part Researcher is that most of "Us" know very little about the Aboriginals' Belief and ethos. I think it's time the Feds coughed up the fur ball that is in the back of their throats and deal with the Native Issue's instead of stone-walling Treaty Issues. In many ways the Natives have been held hostage by the very "Courts" that are suppose to help them. The backlog and red tape is beyond comprehension.

P.S. Why don't you start a thread and educate some of us who would like to learn about Aboriginal Issues?

I agree that courts have stone-walled the issue. Now I would love to start a thread about Aboriginal issues, however, since i am not Aboriginal myself I would like for Bear or others to correct me if I am wrong sinceI have just learned this in the past few years.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
When I worked at a Womens Shelter I had to take a two week course on Native Sensitivity, it was so informative and I enjoyed learning from the Elders. It really showed me how wonderful the Native Culture can is. There is so much bias and racist belief regarding Natives, most of it's unjustified.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
Of course there is. There is a bias i don't know if it is racist but a bias that they are a people over there on their little reserves who get drunk and do drugs and all that stuff and what the heck are they protesting for when something comes up.

Like Americans 80% don't know much around the world (maybe less maybe more) generalization about that same number of canadians don't know anything about Canadian aboriginals.

And sadly the military is the last government organization that has nothing on native senstivity training. Maybe a 2 hours class on not being a racist and then jokes after.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
There is no clear answer but the way Canada has handled native issues now has not worked. Currently many First Nations, along with their peers the Métis and the Inuit, claim to receive inadequate funding for education. Maybe an answer would be to listen to what they want. Education is always a good solution. As of 2006, over 75 First Nations communities exist in a boil water advisory. There living conditions have been compared to third world conditions. That has to change.
There are allot of different languages spoken among First Nations people, many of them are presently endangered with generally a decreasing number of speakers. So why is it then that Canada tries so hard to protect the French language but the language spoken long before Europeans arrived is left to die?

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which is a HUGE part of the problem.

Generally, people don't give a damn about property, or anything else, owned by the collective as opposed to the individual.

In case you hadn't noticed, Marxism failed.

The only rights are individual rights, the term "collective rights" is a whitewash of efforts to destroy individual rights.

Here , here Colpy. I couldn't agree more.

Yes I may be Native, but I'm not oblivious to the impact the doctrine set forth by the UN has on laws in this country. Especially with the lefty Judges in the supreme court.

The issues that forment in the real lives of Canada's Native peoples will not be served any better if this showpiece document is ratifide. It undoubtably will end up as a tool by which self serving leaders will further the goals of dictatorship over our peoples. It will not better the day to day lives of them.

Besides, if you compare the text in the document to what is already law and policy in our country. We are light years ahead of Russia, or most of the Western world for that matter, in how Native peoples are to be treated, we already have distinct status, the Government of Canada has already recognised the First Nations as Nations. This document is nothing more then a dog and pony show. The UN would be better served going to the dentist and get a set of teeth made up to combat real global issues.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is no clear answer but the way Canada has handled native issues now has not worked. Currently many First Nations, along with their peers the Métis and the Inuit, claim to receive inadequate funding for education. Maybe an answer would be to listen to what they want. Education is always a good solution. As of 2006, over 75 First Nations communities exist in a boil water advisory. There living conditions have been compared to third world conditions. That has to change.
There are allot of different languages spoken among First Nations people, many of them are presently endangered with generally a decreasing number of speakers. So why is it then that Canada tries so hard to protect the French language but the language spoken long before Europeans arrived is left to die?

It hasn't been left to die, it's being strangled by infighting and the corruption that permiates the reserve life and the Government that fuels it.

Do you have any idea how much money I have seen pissed away on feel good or make work projects that amount to sweet f**k all? The grants, the loans, the blind funding, etc. It's staggering. As much as it annoys the hell out of me when I here none Natives bitch about "what the Natives get". I do sympathise. Yes we were displaced, yes we were abused and yes we had our lands expropriated from us, but for the love of God, some one has to be accountable. Someone has to focus on the real issues at hand and fix them. Throwing money at a problem without direction, is absolutely less then useless. It only fuels the sloth, corruption and waste.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Canada's answer has been to throw money at the problem. Thats what I mean by Canada's handling of native issues not working. Obviously the only way out of the reserve and towards success is education. Your not going to get that on a reserve.