Rae to win Liberal leadership?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It turns out the LIberal leadership race might get interesting after all. Ignatieff appears to be in the lead, but without enough to take it on the first ballot, and no secondary support.

Bob Rae appears to be in second place, but he is the second choice of a large number of voters, he is looking good.......

Stephan Dion is running third.

I have to say I am pleased the Liberal race has come down to these three contenders. They are good men, the best offered in the pack. They are intelligent, I believe they are all as honest as a politician can be, and they offer a clear choice of philosophies and policies.

Now, most of the regulars here are probably wondering who got hold of my computer..........positive things about Liberals rarely cross my lips.

But, the truth be told, they're doing well.

Philosophically, I would prefer Ignatieff. If he were elected, the left of the party would flee to the NDP, and some doubtful Conservative voters would return to the Liberal fold..........NOT good for the CPC.

If Rae were elected, I think a section of the Liberal right might come over to the CPC, as well as some Ontario voters........a good thing for the CPC, especially as their hopes in Quebec appear to be dimming.

If Dion is elected, wave bye-bye to Quebec votes for the CPC............but I'm not sure Dion has appeal outside of the center............

Anyway, I congratulate the Liberal Party on the quality of the front runners. The best have floated to the top, IMHO.

Maybe they can clean out the scum. A MAJOR job.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Colpy said:
Now, most of the regulars here are probably wondering who got hold of my computer..........positive things about Liberals rarely cross my lips.

Seriously though, who are you and what have you done with Colpy?

Just kidding :wink:

If things stay exactly as they are, Rae is probably going to win. I think Dion is the best of those three. I'm suprised how much support Rae got in Ontario, according to some polls. He might get lots of votes for the liberals. I think he will probably sway a lot of NDP voters. I also think he'll do well in the rest of the country, and surprisingly not as bad as I would have thought in Ontario. I guess those who hate Rae, hate him a lot....but many of them would not have voted liberal anyways.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Rae got booted in Ontario after a nasty trial with NDP programs. He's best remembered for elevating Zanane Akende (sp?) to a social services ministry where she promptly declared every Ontarian on welfare had the right to the same income and services as working folk. Rae, to his credit, soon bit his tongue and in the terrible recession of his term of office began to reorganize and update his party and government, i.e. bring it bawling and bellyaching into the 20th century. He's got a great brain. I like him. And I've never been a softie or leftie.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well its about time someone from the NDP hijacked another party leadership. After all Ujjal, the one time NDP Premier of BC hijacked the party so he could get a profile position with the Liberals. Bob Rae would never get my vote, and I am more left of centre, than right.
Layton is the only other choice and I'm waiting for him to accept reality when it comes to issues like Afghanistan. There is one thing for sure, Harpers crowd is not even on my voting radar screen.
Funny thing is, Rae could beat Harper in a federal election, and the issue will be, Harpers friendship with Bush and the American Administration, that has left us holding the bag in Afghanistan.
The Tories are going to lose the next vote for a Liberal minority.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The only question in the next election is will it be a Con minority or slim Con majority.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Well, despite my opposition to the Afghan mission, I would like to see Harper have a chance at another, hopefully secure, term. This country could be and should be great. I blame most of its present problems on Pierre Trudeau and his many - ridiculously many - misguided followers.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Ugh, please not Bob Rae. His disastrous tenure as Ontario's premier probably doesn't deserve to held against too much, but it's still part of his track record. He also comes across as slightly indignant, and there's something about him that I don't like.

Anyway, those who think Ignatieff is too right-of-center for the Liberal Party should take a better look at his platform. He is somewhat right-leaning with fiscal issues, but his views on education, aboriginals, Quebec, and immigration are staunchly liberal.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Ignatieff all the way, if one of the bums win it should be him, He may even get my vote, he isnt to bad. Rae gives his money to other MP`S from differant parties, aka the NDP....Rae messed up Ontario I have no need to see him mess up Canada.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Rae to win Liberal leadership?

EastSideScotian said:
Ignatieff all the way, if one of the bums win it should be him, He may even get my vote, he isnt to bad. Rae gives his money to other MP`S from differant parties, aka the NDP....Rae messed up Ontario I have no need to see him mess up Canada.

Your sentiment is the very reason Harper is going to take out a Liberal membership under the name John Smith and lobby for Rae.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Re: RE: Rae to win Liberal leadership?

athabaska said:
EastSideScotian said:

Your sentiment is the very reason Harper is going to take out a Liberal membership under the name John Smith and lobby for Rae.
True enough, Ignatieff is one for Harper to worry about. I think Rae will scare alot of people into voteing for the Conservitives if he wins the Leadership race, Which I wont complain about, But being a Liberal-Con id like to see A more right wing liberal Leader. I wont complain however come Next Election if Harper wins again, Agianst Rae or Ignatieff. I like Harper.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Rae to win Liberal le

Ignatieff is not a fiscal conservative. He is very liberal on fiscal issues, and compares himself to Trudeau.

It's funny how lefties think he is right-wing, and right-wingers think he is left wing. I think that's part of the reason that he wouldn't do so well if elected leader.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I think Ignatieff's ties to the 'Trudeau legacy" whether true or not have singled him out as a man to avoid. Much of contemporary Canada's problems are due to that legacy and we certainly don't need a rerun.