When will residential school victims be compensated

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
When will residential school victims be compensated for the crimes of the schools, and by the crimes of the Federal governments (liberal and conservative) to rip them away from their families and place them in these schools where they were faced with rape, beatings and murder.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Researcher87 said:
When will residential school victims be compensated for the crimes of the schools, and by the crimes of the Federal governments (liberal and conservative) to rip them away from their families and place them in these schools where they were faced with rape, beatings and murder.
I think they already did?

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
From what I understand the agreement was with the Paul Martin government and with all First nations actions under the conservatives it has been put into limbo and no one has been paid a dime.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I think a settlement is well underway. I just hope, with the sexual abuse allegations, that they can weed out the phonies. Sexual abuse in residential schools has divided First Nations peoples across the country. The PC movement has allowed the issue to boil over. It's time to get serious about justice. Both sides of the fence.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Some First Nations reserves have asked lawyers to leave when they came drumming up business on alleged sexual abuses. On many reserves natives look down on those who have been trying to pump more money out of the government beyond the obvious cultural abuse settlements required. Hysteria is loose in the land. A lot of kids have been hurt and a lot of adults. A case in point - not residential or chiefly aboriginal but certainly related- is the Shelburne case in Nova Scotia where every single staff member at the facility ended up being accused of sexual impropriety because of the feeding frenzy initiated by lawyers. Some staff took their lives. The government should monitor, despite the recriminations and easy uproar, all sexual abuse accusations related to residential settlements. It's simply expected- but will it do it?