B.C. scientist dumped. Must use "New Government of Can

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A British Columbia man says he's been dumped from his role as scientist emeritus with the Geological Survey of Canada for refusing to refer to the federal government as "the new government of Canada."

Dr. Andrew Okulitch told CBC News on Monday that it all began Sept. 5 when his Earth sciences sector on Salt Spring Island received an e-mail from Natural Resources Canada advising employees to use the "new government" phrase in all departmental correspondence.

Okulitch immediately fired off a reply to the sender and all recipients of the e-mail.

link

What is this? New Speak?

Comments?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
RE: B.C. scientist dumped. Must use "New Government of

Ridiculous.

Control freaks, and I mean folks dangerous to liberty, seem to float to the top in any public bureacracy.

A certain "assistant deputy minister" needs to join the unemployment line, and probably a deputy minister as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Re: B.C. scientist dumped. Must use "New Government of

Is there a chance this is coming from Harper's crowd?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

#juan said:

Sure.

I'm not naive enough to think that the Conservatives are free of this sort of weirdness.............and they are (understandibly) a little paranoid.

As well, this guy (from the article) made absolutely NO secret what he thought of the new government........

All of which is absolutely no excuse..........

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

#juan said:

8O Brave new world redux Juan; more than just a chance IMHO.

Harper and his ilk don't seem to realize that people can read betwixt the lines. Course it took 2 terms to turf Mulroo, and what, 10 years for the Libs?

It may not take quite that long for Mein Harper, we're hopin.

Ugg.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

"The new government of Canada" is a catch phrase that Harper's whole crowd is using. Harper has used it about a couple dozen times. I have no objection to him and his political cronies using it, but to fire a world class scientist for not using it is BS.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: B.C. scientist dumped

This all continues to fall in line with my fears about where this country is headed. I assure everyone it is no coincidence. The way the USA has been going is no coincidence. They have done much over there to strip away any voice of opposition.

We as the citizens of this country are are also guilty to a degree in that we have given consent towards such representation over us. Little by little the government erodes the voice of the citizenry while consolidating power for themselves. At what point does that stop? It only stops when it is no longer only individuals that protest, but a common voice of the country.

Surely no government should exercise such power. Whether it is a government made of any of the political parties. This is another step in a truly dangerous direction.

I would like to note. This wasn't even so much about a scientist voicing opposition against the government but rather voicing against being subjugated by the government.

agentkgb

Nominee Member
Aug 22, 2006
US
agentkgb.wordpress.com
RE: B.C. scientist dumped

I'm surprised Bush didn't do something like that first. I would assume it's not long before the scientists's put back into his position though.