Canadian Troops Targeted by Bomber

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=d29b19dc-895e-48ef-bc30-feec9874e556&k=50384

Canadian troops targeted by bomber
NATO says four of its soldiers killed
Canadian troops in Panjwaii, Afghanistan.
Photograph by : Les Perreaux, Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A suicide bomber on a bicycle blew himself up in a crowd of children clamouring for pens and books from Canadian troops in Afghanistan Monday, killing four NATO soldiers and a number of civilians, police and NATO said.

Police said around two dozen children were also hurt in the blast that struck a Canadian patrol in volatile Kandahar province, a day after NATO said it had successfully completed a major anti-Taliban operation nearby.

The extremist Taliban movement said it carried out the suicide attack.

"What I can confirm is four ISAF soldiers were killed," Major Quentin Innis, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), told AFP. Others were wounded but he could not yet say how many.

"There were a number of Afghan civilians that were also killed," Innis said without giving a figure.

A witness said the suicide bomber had ridden a bike into a crowd of laughing children as they gathered around the soldiers at the scene in the Zhari area around 35 kilometres (19 miles) west of Kandahar city.

"Kids were running towards the Canadian convoy because they were giving out pens and notebooks to the children," bystander Mohammed Karim told AFP.

"There was a crowd of kids laughing and shouting, 'Give me one, give me one'. At this time a man riding on a bicycle approached the crowd and detonated in the crowd.

"With the explosion, all the shouting of kids was ended and you could hear cries and people running to all sides. Some of the wounded were also running," he said.
ISAF does not comment on the nationalities of its casualties until the information has been released by their home nation. However police at the scene of the blast said four Canadian soldiers were killed and 10 wounded.

"Also 24 kids were wounded with four of them in a very critical condition," a district-level police official told AFP on condition of anonymity. The children were aged between about seven and 15, he said.

ISAF said its soldiers were evacuated to military hospitals for treatment. Four of the wounded children were badly hurt and were evacuated to a military hospital at Kandahar Airfield.

The Canadian military could not immediately be contacted for confirmation. Canada has 2,300 soldiers in Kandahar and they have been struck by several suicide attacks.

Nineteen Canadian soldiers are among more than 90 foreign troops who have died in hostile action in Afghanistan this year, which has seen the worst insurgency-linked violence since the Taliban were toppled in 2001.

Monday's attack was outside Kandahar city in an area where ISAF Sunday declared that a major offensive had succeeded. Operation Medusa was launched on September 2 to flush out Taliban who were entrenching themselves in Panjwayi.

NATO officials are preparing to ramp up reconstruction in the area as part of a new strategy to win over local residents.

The Taliban rose from the area in the early 1990s to take control of most of the country by 1996. They were removed from government by a US-led coalition in late 2001.

There has been an almost fourfold increase in suicide attacks in southern Afghanistan this year, according to ISAF figures.

The United Nations representative in Afghanistan, Tom Koenigs, told reporters in Kabul Monday that 154 civilians were killed in suicide bombings in the country this year.
ISAF, which has 10,000 troops in southern Afghanistan, is seeking around 2,000 extra soldiers and more equipment to tackle the violence, which has been more virulent than expected.

Separately, police and Taliban rebels fought a two-hour gunbattle in Helmand province which neighbours Kandahar late Sunday, leaving 13 insurgents dead including a local commander and four wounded, police said.

The firefight erupted after residents of Awasay village in Girishk district asked police for help because of a heavy Taliban presence in the area, provincial police chief Ghulam Nabi Mullahkhail told AFP.

Giving out pens and notebooks to children. An act of war?
Killing their own little ones to retaliate - they are simply mad. No other word to describe their behavior.
Sleep in peace warriors - your work is done.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Kinda takes the wind out of the sails of those claiming the Taleban are a legitimate political entity. They obviously don't care for the well being of the Afghanis. This act is the epitome of terrorism, influencing with violence and terror.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
legitimate or not, their influence is real and to pretend it doesn't exist reduces the likelihood of ever reaching a satisfactory conclusion.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Canadian Troops Targe

I didn't know that the Afghan people were in such dire need of PENS anyways, what a RIDICULOUS thing, having troops getting killed on a stupid PR exercise..

Our own idiot in chief saiad this very weekend that we are actually engaged in a war in that country, what the HELL is the point of conducting feel-good PR missions in such a theatre??

If we are truly at WAR then winning "hearts and minds" should NOT be part of our strategy, kicking ASS should be the centrepiece, and whoever cooked up this stupid bribe mission should be canned post-haste

if we are AT WAR, then any attacks on our soldiers can NO LONGER be framed as the work of "Butchers" or "madmen" but of ACTUAL COMBATANTS, fighting against us in EXACTLY THE SAME MANNER as we are now fighting against them.

I think the pointless deaths of these and all the others both before and in the future is pure sad stupidity, and it is going to be a long time before ANYONE will have the balls to accurately state that they indeed have died for NOTHING...

Truly a shame.

United_Nations

Sep 12, 2006
Well the Americans and NATO got us into this mess, and they are paying for it. Its pointless the 400+ coalition deaths in Afghanistan alone, but hey they caused this mess they better fix it our their little war on terror :roll: will be for nothing.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Re: RE: Canadian Troops Targe

Toro said:
Funny.

I thought it was al-Qaeda that got us into this mess.
It was. Somepeople think its cool to be anti-western, I guess they might as well blow their own heads off, because they are western and they are targets.

Idiots evrywhere

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

mabudon said:
I didn't know that the Afghan people were in such dire need of PENS anyways, what a RIDICULOUS thing, having troops getting killed on a stupid PR exercise..

Our own idiot in chief saiad this very weekend that we are actually engaged in a war in that country, what the HELL is the point of conducting feel-good PR missions in such a theatre??

If we are truly at WAR then winning "hearts and minds" should NOT be part of our strategy, kicking ASS should be the centrepiece, and whoever cooked up this stupid bribe mission should be canned post-haste

if we are AT WAR, then any attacks on our soldiers can NO LONGER be framed as the work of "Butchers" or "madmen" but of ACTUAL COMBATANTS, fighting against us in EXACTLY THE SAME MANNER as we are now fighting against them.

I think the pointless deaths of these and all the others both before and in the future is pure sad stupidity, and it is going to be a long time before ANYONE will have the balls to accurately state that they indeed have died for NOTHING...

Truly a shame.
Actully its a security Patorl and they happend to hand out pens and Notebooks alogn with candy at the same time....

Id also liek to know when we blow ourselves up to combat the taliban. or behead teachers and beat students.........

"if we are AT WAR, then any attacks on our soldiers can NO LONGER be framed as the work of "Butchers" or "madmen" but of ACTUAL COMBATANTS, fighting against us in EXACTLY THE SAME MANNER as we are now fighting against them."

Interesting because todays attack was not our form of warfare.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Toro said:
Funny.

I thought it was al-Qaeda that got us into this mess.

It was. Originally that is.

This is a whole new mess altogether. Or do people here think that war is a ‘constant’ in terms of events and participants?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

mabudon said:

Truly a shame.

I agree. Why are we out there handing out pens? They tell us we are at war, why are we handing out pens? In a war you are there to fight an enemy. Here we are trying to fight some of the people while strangely trying to get others to love us. That falls under the definition of an occupation, not a war. And occupations tend to prove very brutal.

It just shows how really this mission is so ill defined. Look at what another one of these stupid PR stunts have cost, and what kind of goodwill is really being created here?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Canadian Troops Targeted by Bomber

iARTthere4iam said:
Kinda takes the wind out of the sails of those claiming the Taleban are a legitimate political entity. They obviously don't care for the well being of the Afghanis. This act is the epitome of terrorism, influencing with violence and terror.

Anyone who ever thought the Taliban were legitimate has lost their minds.

Passing out pens and notebooks in a place where children's education has suffered so much is a beautiful thing.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

The writing is on the wall with this one.

If you people don’t recognize this, then you are just going to have to get accustomed to hearing about Canadian troops getting killed now and then while essentially accomplishing nothing (I know I won’t be able to). This is because that ‘nothing’ is all that we will most likely have out of this misadventure.

Anything we try to rebuild they will just destroy it. We can pour billions of our money into it and in the end we will only have dead Canadians to mourn.

I gave this thing a very slight tip of the hat in the beginning that maybe with all the US power (originally) there may have been a chance at it. However, it goes against histories lessons all the way back to even Alexander The Great not being able to control that area of land, and a lot of military powers have tried since then only to finally have to acknowledge failure.

Believe what you will about what we think we are going to be able to accomplish there. We are very good at selective hearing, but the only real change that will come out of a country like that will have to come from within the society.

EastSideScotian said:

Why would it be? What sort of conduct does a resistance against an occupier usually follow?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

elevennevele said:
T

EastSideScotian said:

Why would it be? What sort of conduct does a resistance against an occupier usually follow?
Missed my point I was making, The post I was replying to claimed the Taliban is fighting in the same manner as us, Which they are not. I beleave this "resitance" or really what you mean to say Insurgents, are the first type we have had that reley on killing themselves and their own people they claim to be fighting for to kill our troopps is the first time we have seen this tatic in any war..Iam not deny they have any other way to fight us, but its not the way we are fighting them, nor do i expect them to fight like us, Just making the point that they arent.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

tracy said:

Legitimate to who? Us? That is two different realities. The realities of the world we live in and then there is the realities some other people live with on this globe. If not the Taliban then probably a warlord and it might not be any different in that regard.

I think we use the term Taliban in many cases to try to portray a distinction of a “good from the bad”. As the public we are usually talked down to in such a way because the government doesn’t give us much credit for anything greater in thought.

But as for the people fighting us, it still ends up being a person who lives there regardless. A person who is either active in being against us, or not active in being against us. Taliban or not, they could hate us all the same.

tracy said:
Passing out pens and notebooks in a place where children's education has suffered so much is a beautiful thing.

Yeah, it’s supposedly great. However, since ‘we are at war’, endangering children by attracting them to our soldiers is pretty stupid at this point.

I would like to note that the Taliban regime of Afghanistan as a government body was brutal during it’s time. I'm not defending that in any way. What I am trying to say is that when someone fights against us, who are they aligned with? They are fighting with whoever else is trying to do the same thing. So it might not be so much about backing a political side, but rather being part of the common goal of getting us off their lands.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

elevennevele said:
tracy said:

Legitimate to who? Us? That is two different realities. The realities of the world we live in and then there is the realities some other people live with on this globe. If not the Taliban then probably a warlord and it might not be any different in that regard.

I think we use the term Taliban in many cases to try to portray a distinction of a “good from the bad”. As the public we are usually talked down to in such a way because the government doesn’t give us much credit for anything greater in thought.

But as for the people fighting us, it still ends up being a person who lives there regardless. A person who is either active in being against us, or not active in being against us. Taliban or not, they could hate us all the same.

tracy said:

Yeah, it’s supposedly great. However, since ‘we are at war’, endangering children by attracting them to our soldiers is pretty stupid at this point.

Legitimate to anyone. There is a reason the only governments who recognized the Taliban as legitimate were wackos in their own right.

According to the CBC, they were in an area that was being secured so civilians could return. They can't live in their protected base 100% of the time. They have to work with civilians and spend time among the population at large. I'm sure the same people who say it's the soldiers' fault that children were killed by fanatics would be criticizing them if they weren't out trying to help them.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario

tracy said:
elevennevele said:
tracy said:

tracy said:

Legitimate to anyone. There is a reason the only governments who recognized the Taliban as legitimate were wackos in their own right.

According to the CBC, they were in an area that was being secured so civilians could return. They can't live in their protected base 100% of the time. They have to work with civilians and spend time among the population at large. I'm sure the same people who say it's the soldiers' fault that children were killed by fanatics would be criticizing them if they weren't out trying to help them.
Thats the way it always is with people who are uninformed and have the belif that what we are doing is wrong with out fully knowing what we are doing. Anything to try and bash our efforts for humanity, no matter what they love to find fault.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

tracy said:
I'm sure the same people who say it's the soldiers' fault that children were killed by fanatics would be criticizing them if they weren't out trying to help them.

I can’t give answer to your statement in the sense that I think the whole operation is folly to begin with. I think it is folly because the realities are not in alignment with the ‘ideals’ on how we wish to see the situation.

To put out 'catch 22' arguments is only a choice of context. A context that suggests we really have to be there in the first place. There are a variety of ways to define a mission and it's success. The whole folly however of us changing their society was another direction altogether from that of taking out the people more directly involved, relative to 911.

There will always be terrorists in the world as long as there are political climates which result in such an extreme level of retaliation. In the sense of the environment we are in, there will always be acts of terrorism against us there until the very last soldier leaves. Practically every country has resorted to terrorism at one point or another. Whether it was the British, or the French, etc. against the nazis. Whether it was the Americans in their fight for independence against the British, and it just goes on and on throughout history.

Remember that guy who converted to Christianity post-Taliban? It wasn’t the Taliban that felt he should be put to death. It was the whole of their society. That is the real message of truth to the situation. The kind of environment we are trying to work with.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Well the Americans and NATO got us into this mess, and they are paying for it. Its pointless the 400+ coalition deaths in Afghanistan alone, but hey they caused this mess they better fix it our their little war on terror will be for nothing.
--------------------------------United Nations----------------

It appears this kind of thinking in not blaming the
original perpertrators (Taliban, al Qaeda) because
the responders (US, NATO) should meet a
higher moral standard or and a higher competence standard
------ IS TYPICAL of
a majority of the world.

We see this kind of thinking in jobs, and classrooms.

Why care or even be mad at someone who can
never do better, never be better ??

Get mad at the one who can be better.

This is rational up to a point.

But afterwhich, such thinking is lopsided and unfair.

To all.

And it lacks challenging the original offender, and such a challenge
is necessary.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
RE: Canadian Troops Targe

Your right. Why blame us? Why blame us for some problems in the world we may not be able to fix? Problems where change really has to come from within the society in accordance to what that society is prepared or capable to exert on itself.

We should always do what we can in the world. I reallyl believe that, but if we are unable to go beyond a certain point in changing a society, why put the blame and all the responsibility on us? The initial goals of the west’s retaliation for the acts of 911 has been dealt.

And if you can't help someone, at least don't harm them.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
The initial goals of the west’s retaliation for the acts of 911 has been dealt.
-------------------------------elevennevele-------------------

Sounds good at first. Sounds really good at first.

But I think we're screwed morally no matter what
we do.

Leaving Kabul seems even worse to leave
the locals to a quaranteed revenge.

How thoughtful of us.

Either way.