Canadians blame U.S. for 9/11 attacks

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
A majority of Canadians believe U.S. foreign policy was one of the root causes that led to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, and Quebecers are quicker to criticize the U.S. administration for its international actions than other Canadians, a recent poll suggests.

Those conclusions are found in a newly released poll conducted by Léger Marketing for the Association for Canadian Studies.

The poll suggests that 77 per cent of Quebecers polled primarily blame American foreign policy for the Sept. 11 attacks. The results suggest 57 per cent in Ontario hold a similar view.

When participants were given the option of choosing more than one cause for the attacks, two-thirds blamed Islamic fundamentalists and their anti-Western views, while a third pointed the finger at Israel and its position in the Middle East.

Canadian opinions have hardened against the United States and its role on the world stage, said Jack Jedwab, executive director of the Association for Canadian Studies. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have contributed to a change of heart among people, he said.

But Canadians are divided on whether their government should pay more attention to issues fuelling extremist organizations in the Middle East, he said.

"There are a lot of people who think we should be listening closely [to extremist groups] and that there is an opportunity to dialogue with these sort of groups," said Jedwab Wednesday. "So it is showing a real ideological divide on some of these issues."

There's a growing need since the Sept. 11 attacks for balanced public education about terrorism, added Jedwab. "There is a tendency to see in these movements something more romantic than actually exists. That's something we need to keep debating in the country."

Léger Marketing interviewed 1,508 Canadian adults from Aug. 22 to Aug. 27. The poll results are considered accurate within 2.5 percentage points 19 times out of 20.

Link

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think there is any doubt,

that U.S. foreign policy generally, was the prime motivation for the attacks on Sept. 11. From what I've read, most Arabs see Israel and the U.S. as allies against the Arabs. For whatever reasons, Israel, with the blessings of the U.S., has annexed parts of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt. The feeling on the Arab street is that this alliance against the Arabs will continue indefinitely.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Dialogue with them?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What idiots!

I personally prefer Teddy Roosevelt's attitude towards terrorism:

"There is only one reply to a dynamite bomb, and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle".

Gotta love TR.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
I don't think there is any doubt,

that U.S. foreign policy generally, was the prime motivation for the attacks on Sept. 11. From what I've read, most Arabs see Israel and the U.S. as allies against the Arabs. For whatever reasons, Israel, with the blessings of the U.S., has annexed parts of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt. The feeling on the Arab street is that this alliance against the Arabs will continue indefinitely.

WHO CARES what their motivation was...........I don't give a damn, any more than I would care what the root causes of fascism were in 1939.

Destroy the enemy, THEN look at what caused the trouble.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Colpy wrote:
WHO CARES what their motivation was...........I don't give a damn, any more than I would care what the root causes of fascism were in 1939.

Colpy, not caring, was what caused the problem in the first place. These people weren't enemies until U.S. foreign policy made them enemies. If the Israel/Palestine question had been solved, there wouldn't have been a 9/11.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Sure there are causes. I don't think the terrorists that send suicidal lunatics on terrorist missions could pull off complex missions like they have if they were insane. But to blame the US foreign policy (or Israel for that matter) for creating extremism can't possibly be right. If it were Bali, Spain, England and Egypt wouldn't have been targets.

Terrorism is a tactic used to change society. Islamic radicals, communists, basques, the Irish, marxists, tamils and others have all used it to effect government policy. I don't think any "war against terrorism" is going to do much to stop terrorism from happening, but I don't see that caving into the demands will stop it either. If people think it will be successful they may use it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:
Colpy wrote:

Colpy, not caring, was what caused the problem in the first place. These people weren't enemies until U.S. foreign policy made them enemies. If the Israel/Palestine question had been solved, there wouldn't have been a 9/11.

I'm not at all sure your premise about the Israel/Palestine problem. It seems Osama was mightily upset about US troops in Saudi Arabia, the infidel in the Holy Land, as it were. Never mind they defended a Muslim nation against a secular one......., or Muslims against infidels, as they did in Bosnia, and as they did when they aided Osama and his friends in their fight against the Russians.............can you say "ungrateful"?

As well, there IS no solution to the problem of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

I become increasingly convinced it is a problem that will be with us in 100 years. Too many Arabs refuse to acknowledge Israel's right to exist.......

Israel is way too paranoid............but I guess it is not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

Anyway, it is an unending conflict....pick a side. Hopefully the democratic, western style side.

shannon

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I think not said:
The poll suggests that 77 per cent of Quebecers polled primarily blame American foreign policy for the Sept. 11 attacks. The results suggest 57 per cent in Ontario hold a similar view.

The figures are kind of surprising to say the least. Many folks I know surely don't hold that view. I guess I'm one of the 23% of Quebeckers who doesn't blame American foreign policy on the 9/11 terrorist attacks. How can you blame anyone but the terrorists themselves? Doing otherwise would be equivalent to blaming the victim instead of the criminal. Hmmm ... I wonder just how accurate that poll "really" is.

It's clear the terrorists are to blame, no doubt and most of them have paid a price for their actions. Many of those reponsible are either in prison or dead.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
If you read further into the poll you will see that when given a choice only about a third pick U.S. policy as the reason. It looks like another polled skewed to promote anti-bush feelings.When did this country become so GD infantile to actively promote hate towards our closest friend. I can see the FLQ (frikken loony quebecers) taking this up,but the rest of Canada. Why?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Colpy said:
#juan said:
Colpy wrote:

I'm not at all sure your premise about the Israel/Palestine problem. It seems Osama was mightily upset about US troops in Saudi Arabia, the infidel in the Holy Land, as it were. Never mind they defended a Muslim nation against a secular one......., or Muslims against infidels, as they did in Bosnia, and as they did when they aided Osama and his friends in their fight against the Russians.............can you say "ungrateful"?

As well, there IS no solution to the problem of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

I become increasingly convinced it is a problem that will be with us in 100 years. Too many Arabs refuse to acknowledge Israel's right to exist.......

Israel is way too paranoid............but I guess it is not paranoia when they really are out to get you.

Anyway, it is an unending conflict....pick a side. Hopefully the democratic, western style side.

...We however, differentiate between the western government and the people of the West. If the people have elected those governments in the latest elections, it is because they have fallen prey to the Western media which portray things contrary to what they really are. And while the slogans raised by those regimes call for humanity, justice, and peace, the behavior of their governments is completely the opposite.

....It is not enough for their people to show pain when they see our children being killed in Israeli raids launched by American planes, nor does this serve the purpose. What they ought to do is change their governments which attack our countries. The hostility that America continues to express against the Muslim people has given rise to feelings of animosity on the part of Muslims against America and against the West in general. Those feelings of animosity have produced a change in the behavior of some crushed and subdued groups who, instead of fighting the Americans inside the Muslim countries, went on to fight them inside the United States of America itself...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ael...[url]http://www.anusha.com/osamaint.htm

http://www.anusha.com/osamaint.htm

Do bin Laden's own words change any opinions?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Identifying something as a root cause isn't the same as blaming. There are obviously reasons terrorists want to attack us other than they hate our freedom. Why is it so offensive to say our foreign policy may be part of their motivation?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
What is/was offensive....

Was how the terrorists - yes terrorists - chose to voice their opinion without any regard to future settlement of what is purported here to be the Israel/Palestine question.

Flying planes into buildings killing innocent passengers from places all over the world is nothing more than sick, backward aggression.

There was no reasoning behind it - and anyone who tries to make the event seem "more" than it was - an act of barbaric proportions laid out by madmen who have arrested development of evolution and thought - to "excuse it and blame it on the victims" - is sick as the perpetrators - the terrorists.

Bigotry is as always alive and well with the unhappy few - and bigotry is more impaired than terrorism because hiding behind little "innuendos of reasoning and rationale and uneducated blame"... bigots are primarily cowards.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wednesday's Child said:
What is/was offensive....

Was how the terrorists - yes terrorists - chose to voice their opinion without any regard to future settlement of what is purported here to be the Israel/Palestine question.

Flying planes into buildings killing innocent passengers from places all over the world is nothing more than sick, backward aggression.

There was no reasoning behind it - and anyone who tries to make the event seem "more" than it was - an act of barbaric proportions laid out by madmen who have arrested development of evolution and thought - to "excuse it and blame it on the victims" - is sick as the perpetrators - the terrorists.

Bigotry is as always alive and well with the unhappy few - and bigotry is more impaired than terrorism because hiding behind little "innuendos of reasoning and rationale and uneducated blame"... bigots are primarily cowards.

Well said, WC

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy

Ta!

It's a way too emotional topic for me and here I am wading around in it...

All these "viewers from afar" trying to paste up reason on the foul acts
have deeper agendas than we could address here in public forum.

Edit: There are a myriad of problems between western thought and middle eastern thought and if we cannot find equitable coexistence,
we have doomed the future of humanity.

The situation deserves some of our brightest and least antagonstic thinkers - to spend their remaining years in arriving at a solution - of preserving lives and traditions which will satisfy all souls.

Thinkers.... meaning knowlegable and unfettered, unstained and good people of our world with no one taking leadership and certainly not the U.N.

It can never be solved by weaponry.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
..We however, differentiate between the western government and the people of the West. If the people have elected those governments in the latest elections, it is because they have fallen prey to the Western media which portray things contrary to what they really are. And while the slogans raised by those regimes call for humanity, justice, and peace, the behavior of their governments is completely the opposite.

Funny, it was not the government they attacked in New York, it was innocent people. Talk about targeting civilians!

It is not enough for their people to show pain when they see our children being killed in Israeli raids launched by American planes, nor does this serve the purpose. What they ought to do is change their governments which attack our countries. The hostility that America continues to express against the Muslim people has given rise to feelings of animosity on the part of Muslims against America and against the West in general. Those feelings of animosity have produced a change in the behavior of some crushed and subdued groups who, instead of fighting the Americans inside the Muslim countries, went on to fight them inside the United States of America itself...

Right!

America hates Islam. That is why she supported Muslims against the Russians in Afghanistan (including Osama) Gee, some thanks they get! That's to say nothing about going to war in Bosnia to defend Muslims.

We believe the US is directly responsible for those who were killed in Palestine, Lebanon and Iraq. The mention of the US reminds us before everything else of those innocent children who were dismembered, their heads and arms cut off in the recent explosion that took place in Qana (in Lebanon). This US government abandoned even humanitarian feelings by these hideous crimes. It transgressed all bounds and behaved in a way not witnessed before by any power or any imperialist power in the world...

God forbid the US defend Israel, you know, that Island of democratic sanity afloat in a sea of Arab tyranny.......

...The US today as a result of the arrogant atmosphere has set a double standard, calling whoever goes against its injustice a terrorist. It wants to occupy our countries, steal our resources, impose on us agents to rule us based not on what God has revealed and wants us to agree on all these. If we refuse to do so, it will say you are terrorists. With a simple look at the US behaviors, we find that it judges the behavior of the poor Palestinian children whose country was occupied: if they throw stones against the Israeli occupation, it says they are terrorists whereas when the Israeli pilots bombed the United Nations building in Qana, Lebanon while was full of children and women, the US stopped any plan to condemn Israel..

What BS!

The United States once again defended Islam when it pushed secular Iraq out of Islamic Kuwait! What they get in return from these loonies is an accusation of "occupation" because the troops defending Islam were stationed in Saudi Arabia!

As well, STEAL THEIR RESOURCES!".......You've got to be kidding. Bought their resources at a fair price, controled by a cartel, for God's sake!

It is hardly the Americans' fault that Arab greed kept the riches generated for a very few at the very top of the ladder, including BTW, Osama's family.

Do bin Laden's own words change any opinions?

Not bloody likely!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Colpy

You are on a roll!

We could backtrack to the Munich Olympics in 1972 - but terrorism acts of murder by Islamic forces have been around for many years.

Because they hide behind the vague curtain of "religious belief" most of which the average westerner knows nothing about - and because we in democracy honor religious belief - they have been getting excuse after excuse.

This isn't a religious group if they chewed up and swallowed the Qur'an they would still be mad terrorists financed by some shadowy folk who want to take over democracy by seizure and impose their imperial rule
on westerners.

Trouble is - they suck at running nations and have to do it by the use of slavery, repression and oppression. Oh ya - and fear through religious dogma.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
This headline is biased in the wording. The word 'blame' was not used in the question.

A majority of Canaians might think a policemna's bullet killed a criminal but they don't 'blame' the policeman for the criminal's death.

More anti-American drivel.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Canadians blame U.S. for 9/11 attacks

athabaska said:
This headline is biased in the wording. The word 'blame' was not used in the question.

A majority of Canaians might think a policemna's bullet killed a criminal but they don't 'blame' the policeman for the criminal's death.

More anti-American drivel.

Exactly. I don't know why such separate concepts are so impossible to separate. Blame and cause and motivations are not the same things. The press seems to like to put words in people's mouths to stir up drama. It is entirely possible to believe that terrorists are disgusting crazy murderous scum and acknowledge that some of their motivation includes things beyond hatred for our freedom.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Canadians blame U.S.

athabaska is right, the title of the article is very misleading. "Cause" and "blame" are very different things. What was the actual question that they asked?

If I were asked if foreign policy was one of the causes of 9/11, I would say of course it is. That does NOT mean I blame the U.S. for being attacked. U.S. foreign policy does NOT justify the death of thousands of innocent civilians in my opinion, however bin laden would disagree with me.