Who is more important Afghanistan, Senate reform, or Harper?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Harper is diverting the publics attention from Afghanistan were Canadian men and women are loosing their life’s, and instead Harper is making an ass of him self on the subject of Senate reform, particularly when some senators will be on their position long after Harper goes in to defeat in the next General election. The Canadian constitution states that some of these Senators approximately half a dozen are there for a period of 35 and 40 years and Harper doesn’t have the power to remove them from their positions until their time runs out. Harper is an imbursement to Canada in agreeing to kill his country men in order to be liked by Blander Bush.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re:Reform Party hangover

Its a really disgusting ploy for Harper to be doing this old senate reform stuff now.

There are so many issues on the books now that need attention, more attention than they have time for in Ottawa now, and this is a real distaractionffrom those.

Its maybe some kind of an ego thing for Harper, or just that he has "gotta keep them old REFORM party themes alive".

And not just that he is doing it, but THE WAY he is doing it - did you hear him challenging the senators yesterday? "Well, Don't test me" he says when a senator suggested , nicely, that PM Harper was trying to dig up an issue to fight the next election on.

He would love to have a distraction which might keep the attention away from his failings and "radical conservativism hypocracy" on issues like INsight [Vancouver safe injection site] and Kyoto and Invading foreign nations at the beck and call of America. A strong majority of Canadians disagree with PM Harper on these vital issues.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
RE: Who is more important Afghanistan, Senate reform, or Har

Well, the senate does need reform. And has for a long time. If you're a sitting senator, aware of the public's complaints and misgivings all these many years about the nature of what it is you do and how you do it, and haven't given a thought to resigning, shame on you! I'm not sure what the next election should be fought on. We really don't have much political capital to fall back on. No sane person could support the Liberals and no thinking person the NDP.
The country barely operates and we're stuck in Afghanistan with NATO partners, like us, increasingly under the gun to perform and amplify.
It makes you want to spit.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Re:Reform Party hangover

Karlin said:
Its a really disgusting ploy for Harper to be doing this old senate reform stuff now.

There are so many issues on the books now that need attention, more attention than they have time for in Ottawa now, and this is a real distaractionffrom those.

Its maybe some kind of an ego thing for Harper, or just that he has "gotta keep them old REFORM party themes alive".

And not just that he is doing it, but THE WAY he is doing it - did you hear him challenging the senators yesterday? "Well, Don't test me" he says when a senator suggested , nicely, that PM Harper was trying to dig up an issue to fight the next election on.

He would love to have a distraction which might keep the attention away from his failings and "radical conservativism hypocracy" on issues like INsight [Vancouver safe injection site] and Kyoto and Invading foreign nations at the beck and call of America. A strong majority of Canadians disagree with PM Harper on these vital issues.

Spot on Karlin, Harper reminds me of a kid in the cockpit of an air plane making funny sounds pretending he is flying the plane when in fact he is in a dream, while Canada is faced with the war in Afghanistan a top priority, particularly when young men and women are loosing their promising lives. If the Canadian voter doesn’t pay attention to how much of a rooky Harper is and what that means for Canada’s well being, it will be a total night mare if Harper was allowed on a full 4 year term. I know the right win will argue that Harper has a legitimate right to govern, no problem Harper should be allowed to govern, but only when he stands on his own and brings back every single Canadian fighting the stupid Afghanistan war. The happy friendship with Bush will hurt the Cons on the next federal election here in Canada.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks

So we should pull out of the commitments we have made in Afghanistan and keep the horrid senate as it is? Sounds like a load of crap to me. If the Afghanis want us gone all they need say is "please leave" and we will be happily on our way. If we leave that poor country and it decends into theocractic madness again I for one won't be holding my head high and proudly proclaiming "Canadians shouldn' t die for you Afghanis". Very noble all.
Senate reform was promised long ago by the Conservatives and if they actually are able to do it Canada will be better off for it. Why are you all insisting that this crusty old institution remain as it is?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

iARTthere4iam : Why are you all insisting that this crusty old institution remain as it is? -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These a.....es cant digest that Harper is doing something that the Liberals failed to do since 1968.And thats not only the Senate reform .

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Re: RE: Who is more important Afghanistan, Senate reform, or

iARTthere4iam said:
So we should pull out of the commitments we have made in Afghanistan and keep the horrid senate as it is? Sounds like a load of crap to me. If the Afghanis want us gone all they need say is "please leave" and we will be happily on our way. If we leave that poor country and it decends into theocractic madness again I for one won't be holding my head high and proudly proclaiming "Canadians shouldn' t die for you Afghanis". Very noble all.
Senate reform was promised long ago by the Conservatives and if they actually are able to do it Canada will be better off for it. Why are you all insisting that this crusty old institution remain as it is?

Some reform is absolutely necessary, I for one believe first we must stop Canadian blood going to waist and trust that it is a waist and then we take care of academic priorities. Look, the war in Afghanistan is already a problem Canada will wish it had never gotten involved. Lets hypothetically say that on the soon coming up US election the republicans are voted out of office and the Democrats start to call the shots by pulling out of Afghanistan, do you and many like you think that Harper will stay there? If you guys think that Canada will stay and fight on, I am sad to say you are sadly misinformed and gullible at best. Soon we will see a major pull out from Afghanistan by the US the same pull out that is contemplated to day this very minute by the US in Iraq. Never mind what idiot Bush is saying quote" as long as I am president of the US I will remain committed in Iraq" the man is delusional he only has three months left in office and it is highly unlikely the Republicans will be given another chance. So what you are telling me is plain a simple, you are talking from a sentimental platform and I am talking from the platform of reality. Enjoy the movie; unfortunately the ending is not pleasant.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

"the man is delusional he only has three months left in office and it is highly unlikely the Republicans ..." ???

What?