Canadian Troops = Terrorists

I think not
Or so states an NDP resolution.

Troops acting 'like terrorists?'
Draft resolution to go before NDP committee

John Ivison, National Post
Published: Wednesday, September 06, 2006
OTTAWA - Canada's troops in Afghanistan have been "acting like terrorists, destroying communities, killing and maiming innocent people", according to a resolution that will be voted on by New Democrats at the party's convention in Quebec City this weekend.

The resolution is one of 104 proposals on international affairs from local riding associations that will be presented at the convention. Others suggest Canada withdraw from the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), the World Trade Organization and the North American Free Trade Agreement, while one riding association proposes a freeze on trade with Israel until the "occupation of Palestinian lands" is ended.

The Afghan mission was the subject of a number of proposed resolutions, all calling for the withdrawal of Canadian troops. "The Canadian occupation is propping up a regime composed of barbarous warlords who are little better than the Taliban," says one riding association.

The resolution comparing Canadian troops to terrorists, put forward by the Nanaimo-Cowichan riding association in British Columbia, says Canada's goals "cannot be achieved by violence when the 'enemy' cannot be distinguished from ordinary citizens" and calls for Canadian troops to be withdrawn from that country.

Its release comes as the bodies of five Canadian soldiers were returned home after being killed in the Kandahar region on the weekend.

A spokesman for Jack Layton said the NDP leader would not comment on the language used in the resolution or indicate whether he intended to vote for it.

"These resolutions have not been debated yet and have absolutely no status at this time," Karl Belanger said.

Jean Crowder, the NDP MP for Nanaimo-Cowichan, also refused to comment on the resolution before it has been debated at the convention.

Last week, Mr. Layton called for the withdrawal of Canadian troops, claiming Afghanistan is "not the right mission for Canada." At that time, he said New Democrats support the Canadian Forces and are proud of the work they do.

Mr. Layton's call to bring the 2,300 troops home has been criticized by both Conservatives and Liberals, particularly since he reiterated it following the death of four Canadians in Afghanistan. Yesterday, he issued a statement expressing his condolences to the bereaved families that made no mention of his desire to withdraw combat troops.

The resolution by Ms. Crowder's riding association singles out NDP MP Peter Stoffer, who supports the mission in Afghanistan.

"This is not an acceptable position when world peace hangs in the balance. A combat role in Afghanistan is a no-win situation both for Canada and for the Afghani people. Its only dubious value is to curry favour with the militarist government of George W. Bush," it says.

Mr. Stoffer said yesterday delegates are free to express their opinions.

"But I absolutely fundamentally disagree with the statement. The people who did it are not only very naive but very antagonistic in their point of view," he said. The NDP draft policy resolutions appeared briefly on the party Web site last week before being taken down. However, Conservative blogger Stephen Taylor obtained a copy and posted them on his Web site yesterday.

The resolution about Israel calls for the end to "military aid and economic trade," claiming "there can be no lasting peace in Palestine/Israel or the surrounding region without social justice."

The Trinity-Spadina riding association in Toronto called for the NDP to support the right of return for all refugees, an end to Israeli settlements and "occupation" of Palestine lands, "a halt to armed aggression, the bulldozing of homes, destruction of olive groves and farms and the assassination of political leaders and activists by the Israeli state."

It said the NDP should campaign for an end to the "rule of apartheid laws that make Palestinians and Israeli Arabs second- and third-class citizens under occupation" and added it is opposed to the use of suicide bombings against civilian targets.

Despite the widespread criticism, Darrell Bricker of pollster Ipsos Reid said the anti-war stance may pay electoral dividends for the NDP -- and the Conservatives.

"If this issue drives the next vote, Layton could pull enough anti-war votes from the Liberals to help elect Tories," he said. He said the Liberals are in a difficult position on Afghanistan because they launched the mission, and at least two of the leadership candidates -- Michael Ignatieff and Scott Brison -- are in favour of its extension to 2009.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...59&k=31590&p=1

NDP - PDF LInk (external - login to view)

Karlin
To be fair, it is just a "proposition" that the NDP will vote on pursuing or not, it is not an official "resolution" yet.
It might be a resolution, but its not yet.

But thats just toying with words, and the sentiment is obviously that some NDP-ers are thinking Canadian Troops are not doing what they set out to do when they first went to Afghanistan, and are instead killing off a lot of Taliban.

Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, has said "the Taliban are not so bad". He reminds us that they are family men, mostly just citizens who have taken up arms. Killing them has repercussions on family and community, just like when our men die. Karzai has asked that Canadaians do not kill so many of them... but gee, that didn't make the news here did it.

This war of words is descending into rhetorical crap -
Jason Kenney brought out the tired old refrain with a Bush-theme of "Our troops in Afghanistan need our support , especially now, and its unpatriotic to be critical of them and their actions"
Kenney has also recently said "Despite its political wing, the militant group Hezbollah is a terrorist organization that is comparable to the Nazi party of the 1930s" .
"The world was wrong to negotiate with that party then, and it would be wrong to negotiate with Hezbollah today."
Kenney said Hezbollah is dedicated to the eradication of Israel.

So on it goes, bordering on sillyness - for example, the kidnapping of soldiers that marked to Israeli invasion of Lebanon:
Bush and Harper kept saying "THEY started it" [meaning Palestinians], and then Palestine saying "No, THEY started it" [meaning Israel, with detention of over 1000 Palestinian civilains held in Israeli jails without charges]

And more -
What good does it do to say one of these and not the other? :
Israel does not recognize the Palestinian right to self-determination.
Palestine does not recognise Israel's right to exist.

Those are both true in some opinions, but not the majority of either of these two societies would agree. Some Israeli Jews say they like their Arab neighbors, and vis-versa.

Kenney, Harper, both put up a brick wall on the road to peace by bringing up this old rhetoric and hatreds.
Don't debate the actions of our military when they are in battle.
Don't get over "who started it"
Never have any discussion with the enemy [it might shorten the war?]

One could conclude the conservatives want to keep the wars going. Certainly Bush, their HERO, was lying when he said "war is my last choice". I think it was his first choice.

9-11 went off so well because Bush wanted to get support for invading Iraq, and with that in mind it is obvious these tactics for keeping the battles and hatereds going strong is exactly what they want.

GentleGiant
What a crock of BS!!

Karzai never said any such thing about the Taliban. That is a crock.

The NDP resolution absolutely proves that these commie idiots are 100% against Canada's military and are an insult to us real Canadians. This sect aka NDP such be imprisoned for at least 15 years.

What is even worse those idiots at CBC who work for folks such as I because I help pay for that lefty broadcasting Network through my tax dollars should be either shut down or sold and fire every one who works there. The CBC supports the NDP? Hello? That is not allowed.

Reading crappola from the leftys on here certainly proves that they are insulting our soldiers who are helping the Afghanistan Government destroy terrorists who love to behead women and children which they have done in the past. Secondly they, the Taliban, built and managed terrorist training camps for Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic extremists which the NDP and Unions such as CUPE supports. THe Unions in this country are anti-Jewish and pro terrorist for groups such as Hamas, Taliban and Hezbollah. That is a published fact and is real. My neighbour up the street who is a part of CUPE is desparately trying to get out. She cannot stand the racism and stupidity that is going on within the ranks.

Nuff for me I am going somewhere else for a while because I cannot stand the garbage on here that is racist bigotted and full of misinformation and lies. And even worse insulting our brave men and women who are responsible humans who stand up for freedom peace and security. Leftys do not.

The forum masters on here are not interested in cleaning up this forum but a couple of others that I have been on are now clear of crap like this.

Bye bye.

Hotshot
Layton is an ***, a waste of space and an idiot. He's not even worth talking about.

Hank C
you got that right, I am ashamed for him and the majority of his useless party.

Finder
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...6?hub=Politics

Thats an update on the story.

Either way I thought it was a little harsh in words what a few NDP MP's had put in the statement, but they have been pulled.

Edit:

The last statment is somewhat stupid. Thinking this issue would effect an election. Canadians care more about social and economic policy then the war we are hardly in. I couldn't see the NDP gaining or losing any seats over this issue, the same goes for the Conservatives.

Blackleaf
The Canadians don't love their own military in the way the British and Americans do.

tamarin
Conservative
Maybe Canadians just need more time to love their mission in Nutland. Certainly the continuing Canadian losses in Afghanistan put the tumultuous region in a new light. This is not the kind of peacekeeping operation we're used to. The only assured reality at the moment is we're creating a whole new class of young people to remember on Remembrance Day. The cenotaph business is back.

Karlin
Jason Kenny is a CLONE of Rumsfeld!! Today they BOTH parroted the tired refrain of the Taliban being like Nazis.

Bush acts more like the Nazis than the Taliban. In fact, the Bush Family Fortune had a lot to do with Hitler, loaning him money and selling him petrol and building up Hitlers armies.

So I guess the plan is to kill the 7000 Taliban that have encircled the Kandahar region, or chase them away into Pakistan and hope Pakistan takes care of the border. Not likely going to happen - NATO can't control the Taliban and neither can Pakistan.

There was only about 500 TAliban there, but NATO's prescence has brought them there, like a moth to flames. But these moths seem to have fireproof clothing. Just like IRAQ, it has just become a battlefield "so we can fight them there so we don't have to fight them in Canada" Ha Ha Ha, thats so AMERICAN! {The Taliban are not coming to Canada... nor were they planning to. ]

Is it fair to the Afghan locals that their communities are being used as a battle ground "so we don't have to deal with them over here"? NO!!!
And talk about MEDIA BIAS - we are not hearing from those locals affected badly by the NATO prescence, just phoney propaganda from the few who will say whatever NATO wants them to say, like "we are glad the troops are here causing havoc". Right.

And you call it liberal media, what a farce.It is owned and controlled with a firm hand by a few corporate interests directly linked to the right, the croporate side, the Elites. Not liberals, what a joke to call it liberal media.

Colpy
Conservative
First of all, allow me to point out an error.....Jason Kenny never compared the Taliban to Nazis.....he compared Hezbollah to Nazis.

This is a very apt description, as Hezbollah hunts down Jews worldwide. They blew up a Jewish community centre in Argentina, for God's sake. Please explain what that has to do with the Middle East? They also hunted down Lebanese Jews. They advocate the destruction of Israel, and the murder of all Jews.

Sorta sounds like the Nazis to me, doesn't it to you?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Karlin

Jason Kenny is a CLONE of Rumsfeld!! Today they BOTH parroted the tired refrain of the Taliban being like Nazis.
Bush acts more like the Nazis than the Taliban. In fact, the Bush Family Fortune had a lot to do with Hitler, loaning him money and selling him petrol and building up Hitlers armies.
So I guess the plan is to kill the 7000 Taliban that have encircled the Kandahar region, or chase them away into Pakistan and hope Pakistan takes care of the border. Not likely going to happen - NATO can't control the Taliban and neither can Pakistan.
There was only about 500 TAliban there, but NATO's prescence has brought them there, like a moth to flames. But these moths seem to have fireproof clothing. Just like IRAQ, it has just become a battlefield "so we can fight them there so we don't have to fight them in Canada" Ha Ha Ha, thats so AMERICAN! {The Taliban are not coming to Canada... nor were they planning to. ]
Is it fair to the Afghan locals that their communities are being used as a battle ground "so we don't have to deal with them over here"? NO!!!
And talk about MEDIA BIAS - we are not hearing from those locals affected badly by the NATO prescence, just phoney propaganda from the few who will say whatever NATO wants them to say, like "we are glad the troops are here causing havoc". Right.

Quote has been trimmed
Do you speak on behalf of the Afghani population?

Is there any media that you would not consider to be right wing biased?

Perhaps you can convince your idol Jack Layton to fly to Afghanistan and report to Canada on what the real story is.

EastSideScotian
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

The Canadians don't love their own military in the way the British and Americans do.

Actully we do, and thats why Layton is mkaing a huge mistake. Pinning our Troops and sons and Dughters brothers and sisters as Terrorist will not get him a vote from lots of us, and definatly not any votes gained.

He is trying to Mkae Canada an Anti Western Government, that means we can be left out by our allies and our neighbours and be ignored with issues in North America that matter to us. We are the West Deal with it, thats what I say.

Said1
Free Thinker
little words from a little party with a little leader. Little is both literal and figurative..

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

Very true.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by Karlin

Dude, I went to school with Kenney.

He is not a Rumsfeld clone.

shannon
Looks like the NDP is shifting from a far left position to a far far left radical, militant position.

Our Canadian troops are fighting for the freedom of all Canadians, yes even the NDP'ers. This resolution is more than a mere outrage, it's criminal.

While our troops sustain daily casualties in fighting the global war on terror, the NDP with this resolution has gone too far. They've clearly crossed the line. It would be nice to see how the authors of this resolution would feel at being placed on the front lines with our brave troops. Perhaps it would knock some sense back into their heads.

On a different note, with the upcoming 5th anniversary of the tragic terrorist attacks of 9/11, we should all reflect on the global efforts in fighting terrorism the last 5 years and praise all those who are fighting for our freedom. We should also take a moment to remember the innocent victims of 9/11 and offer our prayers to their family members.

Texas1
OK what happened to this place?

Dissing the NDP would get you banned forever.

Was there a massive execution, not that I wouldn't mind it happening, I just want the video.

Hank C
no the extremists/terrorists were kicked out a while back

Lineman
Quote: Originally Posted by Hotshot

Layton is an ***, a waste of space and an idiot. He's not even worth talking about.

Hotshot, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you, but well said!

The Gunslinger
Aftrer saying something like that, the NDP has officially lost all credability whatsoever. Canadian soldiers are not terrorists.

Zzarchov
to be fair, him saying it is fine..but he'd best have some kind of proof if he wants to be treated different than the guy wearing the burlap sack with the tinfoil hat.

I mean, its not inconcievable we could have another repeat of the "Airborne incident" or the Bosnian Nurses..

Its not like being Living saint was a requirement for being in the forces at any point in history, and as anyone will tell you who's been in the forces, you still can't leave anything valuable unattended or it will get swiped, same as anywhere else.

SO I can definately see that there could be disturbed individuals in the field, and if this is the case by all means make the situation known..but you'd best have some proof of some kind.