Afghan Poppy Crop - Bring it home

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
As Vancouver mayors propose giving addicts the drugs they are committing crimes to get, we see a cheap source of Heroin right under our noses in Afghanistan.

Afghan farmers will produce 610 tons of heroin this year!!!

And we have soldiers right there to buy it up at firesale prices. If the Afghan farmers could get 1/10th the price we pay for heroin here, they would be able to jump-start the Afghan economy.

Thats going to help them out more than just killing Taliban, and it would help keep the Taliban out of power there because the farmers and other Afghans would not let anything get in the way of such a lucrative trade.

Bringing hom,e Afghan heroin for distribution to Canada's addicts would ease the crime rates here, and maybe keep some of the drug money out of organised crime pockets here.

And not just the underground drug trade - we could save Health Canada some money by offering the 1000s of Canadians who get morphine prescriptions this heroin instead. Many of the "opiate dependant" patients [morphine and heroin] would prefer heroin to morphine, but of course Health Canada and the doctors prefer to give money to the pharmaceutical corporations by restricting prescriptions to morphine, a synthetic opiate.

Sure, it is a radical idea, but the Vancouver area mayors are proposing giving drug addicts their dope to cut the crime rates down. Bringing home the Afghan heroin would help the Vancouver situation as well as the Afghans.

It is time we stopped pretending the War on Drugs is working, and that punishing drug users, many or most whom are simply self-medicating real pains because the medical system failed them, is the wrong way to go - we should be helping them. If the worst of meth addicts could be convinced to use heroin instead of Meth, it would save a lot of health problems. The reduced price for Afghan heroin [free to addicts] would convince most of them to switch - Meth being cheap is the only reason it is popular.

The Afghans will benefit from open dealing too - its better for them if their crops don't have to be sold into the underground markets. That way, the profits can be taxed and farmer can invest the money in community projects rather than stuff it away because it is illegal money. It will keep the "bad guys" from becoming wealthy, or is it keep the wealthy from having to be bad guys...

it is time to get real about drugs!! - or shall we continue to pretend that pharmacutical drugs are the only valuable drugs? [which is the same reason we do not use marijuana as medicine despite its effectiveness].

Lets bring the Afghan poppy crop heroin to Canada.

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
RE: Afghan Poppy Crop - B

There is only one "potential hurdle" to that. That is the class schedueling of the drug for public use, as well as transport restrictions, of heroine. However poppy seed does have other uses, and can be used for things OTHER then heroin....

http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/oelsaat/mohnsaat/mohnsaat.htm

However, I think a BETTER long term solution may be sending the addicts to afghanistan with some organized crime. Then the organized crime can fight the taliban.. killing two birds with one stone!

Maybe we could section off afghanistan into baronies and offer it to organized crime in Canada? Then they just need to establish the land defences etc..?

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: Afghan Poppy Crop - B

Interesting idea, Karlin, to be sure....

On "paper" is is one of the most clear concepts I've yet seen re: the "mission", it might actually work real well... too bad drugs are "evil", we'll just keep killing and burning and solve the problem the "civilised" way I guess :D

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Will had some interesting ideas too - letting org crime kill the Taliban and in trade, they get the poppy cropos. Actually, I would suggest that org crime would merely get to BUY the poppy paste from local Afghan farmers.

mab replied too - Drugs may not be evil, think about it - the poppy evolving along with humans for millenia upon millenia. To survive, the poppy develops qualities that humans value, a really beautifull thing in that it can take pain away. Without poppies, human suffering thru the ages would have been much greater than it was. It might have allowed us to survive some bad periods. We might owe our existence to poppies, as they to us.

Thats beautifull to "nature people".

I think I got some support from mab - I think I get your point about how we are killing each other in war instead of finding alternative solutions.

Featherchucker

Apr 9, 2007
I also think that Canada should purchase every single bit of opium in Afghanistan we can. The effect on the organized crime groups around the world would be priceless. I have several close friends and associates all of whom are all having very serious medical problems and opiates have been prescribed by the doctors to help them deal with the pain involved. The legal supply available is a huge financial burden on these folks and their families. The country we live in is far more wealthy than any scumbag drug lord and we could easily disrupt their little world to everyone's benefit. At the same time the monies would bring the Afghan people a viable income. Maybe it time to think outside of the box, folks.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Opiates are for pain

thanks for that !! You made my day.

Your painfilled friends, like me, will have a harder time when the BC doctors implement their plan to keep all chronic pain patients from getting any more morphine prescriptions [even if you are allready adicted to it, and have the same pains you started morphine for!!]. Cancer, ok, but not chronic pain, says the doc.

So that heroin will become even more valuable, in BC anyways. It is cruel, akin to torture, to withhold opiate medicines from addicts.

Also, let them have it, and crime goes down to almost zero.