Conservatives Love government -dependents of the nanny state

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Conservatives Love Government - By Dean Baker
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/082206K.shtml
Conservatives want the government to redistribute income upward. This is done through a variety of mechanisms, the most obvious of which are their tax policies, which favor upper-income people. But conservatives want the government to intervene in the market in a wide variety of ways that have the effect of redistributing income from those at the middle and the bottom to those at the top.

The Conservative Nanny State
How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
by Dean Baker, published May 2006
http://www.conservativenannystate.org/
Economist Dean Baker debunks the myth that conservatives favor the market over government intervention. In fact, conservatives rely on a range of “nanny state” policies that ensure the rich get richer while leaving most Americans worse off.

Well I just LOVE this Dean Baker guy!! [no, not like that].
This article outlines the ways the Bush Govt. has favoured the rich over the average workers, even tho average workers are the demographic majority that democracy SHOULD favour.

I can see the same tactics at play in The Harper govt., the way they have routed Kyoto so as not to bother the oilmen at Harpers power base, the way they have "gone military" and changed Canada's forces away from peacekeeping so as to help their weapons-maker friends in the East of Canada.

We can count on the Harpocratic government to closely follow the Bush path in favouring the Elites Wealthy people, as far as their minority status allows them to.

K

BigBen

Dec 16, 2005
Would you have been happy if Harper and the conservatives took the Liberal approach and ignored the fact we ever signed Kyoto. I don't think Liberals rattled any feathers of the oil industry either. Harper is just taking a realistic stance, which is refreshing to see.

The Afghanistan mission wasn't a peace keeping mission in the first place and the Liberals signed us onto it. Our military has been neglected for too long of a time and were due for new equipment and spending. The spending is directly mostly to reducing canadian casualities with things like new heavy lift air craft, to reduce the deaths form roadside bombs, etc.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Well no!! The Liberals didn't do anything either. I would not support either of the two Elite parties. Independants, or now the Greens with a new leader, a better choices for saving our selves from fossil fuels emissions. Harper is NOT taking a realistic stance - he is denying global warming is a serious issue fergawdssakes!!

As for the military mission in Afghanistan, now that time has passed since Oct when you replied, it is obviously not going to succeed, according to many/most authorites on the matter. As the locals starve to death in the Afghan winter our soldiers are wasting time, money and lives fighting the Taliban... thats not winning hearts and minds.