Harper and the AIDS conference in Toronto

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I didn't want our PM at this conference and I certainly didn't want the conference in Canada. Given the inability of the world and the key countries where AIDS is a major problem to get the damn job done and read the riot act to the large number of offending citizens cavalierly passing the disease on, I see no place for Canada on the front lines at all.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I don't care if Harper goes. It is a photo op nothing more. Too much was made of it.
If they people at the conference come up with a game plan let us know.
Bill Gates has more sway and money to help the problem than anyone else in the world. I wish Bill luck.

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: RE: Harper and the AIDS conference in Toronto

iARTthere4iam said:
I don't care if Harper goes. It is a photo op nothing more. Too much was made of it.
If they people at the conference come up with a game plan let us know.
Bill Gates has more sway and money to help the problem than anyone else in the world. I wish Bill luck.

Yes...i might be a photo-opp for Harper....but dont you think as Prime Minister of Canada...he should go?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
zoofer said:
No.
Was any other head of State there?
Nope.
Well, our head of state de facto was there, but not de jure.

Her speeches were made with good intentions though, and in my view, she was one of the most practical and understanding of the people at the Conference.

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Personally, I think the poignancy of the conference was slightly overshadowed by all the negativity surrounding Harper's no show.

It's a shame, from both sides, really.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
No, he shouldn't waste his time. The only way I'd support him being there is if he handed out boxes of condoms and told the activists to take them home and insist people be responsible for their own lives.

sine000

Electoral Member
Aug 14, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You guys noe that the people working at the Delta-Chelsea hotel...where the conference was held...workers who wore badges were suspended from their jobs...i mean...this is insane...they jus want to speak up....

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
No reason for Harper to attend, and the best reason is that the lunatic left would have used the opportunity to heckle him over his SSM proposals. Proposals which have NOTHING to do with an AIDS conference.

With the middle east, softwood lumber, and the Arctic all on his plate, the AIDS conference was not high on his list of priorities. Given that more people die from cancer each year in Canada, I would prefer he focus his energies there, if necessary.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

sine000 said:
You guys noe that the people working at the Delta-Chelsea hotel...where the conference was held...workers who wore badges were suspended from their jobs...i mean...this is insane...they jus want to speak up....

Sine000, the were suspended for wearing Union badges, they were allowed to wear the conferance badges, they had been told weeks prior not to wear the union badges, no one at that time disagreed.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

sine000 said:

If their company tells them that a badge is unacceptable, that's their business isn't it? If you don't like it, tell the company.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005

sine000 said:
but AIDS affect probably thousands of Canadians every year....

Way (multiples) less than heart disease, diabetes, breast cancer, lung cancer, prostate cance and so forth. The PM should spend his time attending conference on health issues? Why. what are all those thousands of health professionals paid for?

The next time there is a conference on liver disease, the PM should attend?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Na, the lack-of-self-responsibility lovefest on AIDS is in the same category. An idustry created to avoid the essential message: "Put on a rubber"

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

athabaska said:
Na, the lack-of-self-responsibility lovefest on AIDS is in the same category. An idustry created to avoid the essential message: "Put on a rubber"

It really isn't that simple for millions of people around the world who have been infected. The country with one of the highest infection rates coincidentally has one of the highest rates of rape. More and more children are born with the disease. Women in most of the third world can't insist on condoms unfortunately.

I think it's a shame the PM didn't go, but I think it's worse that a medical disease is still being stigmatized by people who think they are immune to it.

feronia

Time Out
Jul 19, 2006
I saw a program on this the other night. The president (is that correct?) and the Minister of Health in South Africa don't even believe in modern medicine for AIDS (please tell me if I have the names wrong) The Minister of Health was quoted as saying they tell their citizens to use a more practical solution to AIDS such as better diets. The government doesn't approve and has kicked out modern doctors that have been sent from the states. But if I heard it right the pharmaceutical companies are bending the ear of the government not encouraging the wide distributions of medications known to stay off symptoms of full blown AIDS.

In short and in my opinion, the pharmaceutical companies are not willing to sell these drugs at a rate a third world country can afford and again my opinion this government is killing off most of their poor. If cesarean sections were practiced the babies have a greater chance of living without being infected with AIDS. The fact that the PM wasn't there wasn't about AIDS as a disease it was about as AIDS in politics and will the world justify millions dying because their government sees them as a disposable population.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Africa has an epidemic of the disease because of its attitude. Does it prosecute those who spread AIDS? Does it insist African men change their outlook and finally accept responsibility for their sexual behaviour? We are not responsible for other nations' laxness and stupidity. I am tired of being dumped on by countries who just don't get what it is to be a real country.