Quebec's moral bankrupcy

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
OTTAWA -- Israel’s ambassador to Canada has taken Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe sharply to task for participating in a pro-Hezbollah rally.
Alan Baker sent Duceppe a strongly worded letter last week expressing “shock and disappointment” over Duceppe’s participation in the Aug. 6 march in Montreal.
Baker called the demonstration “blatantly anti-Israeli.”
“I find it inconceivable that the leader of a major Canadian political party lends support and associates his name and that of his party, to a demonstration that glorifies a terror organization that has been outlawed in Canada and that shamelessly seeks the elimination of the state of Israel,” he wrote.
In a teleconference Tuesday with journalists and others, Baker described Hezbollah as “a gang of thugs.”
“I have no problem with demonstration and marches, but to take over the streets … where you have groups of incited people running around with flags swearing at Jews, I think this is the antithesis of Canadian values,” he said.
“Anybody who encourages this or who gives any part in this is making a very dangerous mistake.”
Duceppe marched with thousands of others — including Liberal MP Denis Coderre — in the protest. Some marchers waved Hezbollah flags and chanted anti-Israel slogans.
The Bloc leader said he took part to promote a ceasefire in Lebanon and to encourage Israel to react “with moderation” to Hezbollah attacks.
Baker wrote that Duceppe was seen as offering encouragement to Hezbollah and “forwarded a very sad and foreboding message to the people of Israel and to communities, both Jewish and Christian … that support Israel’s struggle against terror.”
In the teleconference, Baker said he plans to speak to the prime minister’s office and Foreign Minister Peter MacKay about a possible Canadian role in enforcing the United Nations-sponsored ceasefire in Lebanon.
He said he understands that Canada is heavily engaged in Afghanistan, but suggested the country could still contribute something to what is supposed to be a beefed-up UN presence in southern Lebanon.
He said Canada might be prepared to establish naval patrols to help curb arms smuggling.
It’s possible that Tzipi Livni, Israel’s foreign minister and vice-prime minister, might visit Ottawa to discuss Canada’s role, the ambassador said.
© The Canadian Press

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=cab5bb68-304d-454d-ba46-e38893829eec&k=46662

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
It wasn't a pro-Hezbollah rally, it was an anti-war rally and a demonstration against the disproportional attack and massive slaughter of Lebanese women and children by Israel. I think that Israel has a moral bankrupcy.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
The politicians were there to support the peace process, NOT to support any form of violence. Of course, some Lebanese-Canadians will support Hezbollah... What do you expect? Obviously, some Hezbollah supporters were going to be at the demonstration. But this is no reason to put a blame on the politicians who assisted the rally. They all clearly expressed their support for the stop to any form of violence.

Some seem to want to make a big story out of all this but there's nothing there except maybe a dislike for Quebec.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I totally support Israel smashing Hizbollah in southern Lebanon until the terrorist group can no longer launch rockets into Israeli territory.

Having said that, I don't condemn anyone that participated as pro-Hizbollah (though I think they are misguided pacifists with a twisted sense of reality). The march was not a pro-Hizbollah march, but an anti-war one. Some elements there may have been anti-Israeli but that is not to paint everyone that participated as such.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Alan Baker sent Duceppe a strongly worded letter last week expressing “shock and disappointment” over Duceppe’s participation in the Aug. 6 march in Montreal.
Baker called the demonstration “blatantly anti-Israeli.

Hey Duceppe! Only one of us can be anti-Israel. Find your own terrorists, Jerk!