The Art of being invisible.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
I thought I’d start a forum for the members of Canadian Content to discuss the question...

“How much public invisibility by the Prime Minister does it take for a country to feel seemingly leaderless.”

Now I can understand Harper feeling a little uptight about an International Gay Sports Competition which happens to also be in conjunction with a Human Rights Conference, but was it really too much for our Prime Minister to offer a few words at an International AIDS Conference? One of significant humanitarian concerns, and significant coverage. A large enough event where one could not help, but notice the absence of government representation by the country hosting?

Or how invisible does a leader need to be during a cessation (whether it is temporary or permanent), of a conflict that has alarmed the international community with dangerous implications for the whole world. One that has affected the lives of many Canadians — even directly — costing the lives of few. One life that was in the service of the United Nations on behalf of Canada while the other Canadians simply died with their children; as we can now see with very little justification.

Would it not be somewhat appropriate to have spoken to us at some level during this moment? Offer some indication of our government's thoughts?

Hope?

Especially given that the conflict had regional implications, and could have further put our troops at risk in Afghanistan with any further escalation.

Or was there simply no credit to be taken?

That we had really not served much of a role in such diplomatic engagement leading up to the ceasefire despite having the most ‘nationals’ caught up in the crisis? That this government does not know how to recognize our citizens who are in a sense caught in the tragic events, and so would not really know what to say to them? That the tried and true course for this Prime Minister seems to be one of hiding, so why not now?

Perhaps I’m simply missing some bit of info, I dunno... perhaps our Prime Minister is in training towards becoming a ninja. It has to be something more than the obvious.

Well regardless of what it is, this country feels quite leaderless at the moment.

However, never fear. I am certain to be able to guarantee to you people reading that when the right photo opportunity occurs, one that our Prime Minister does understand, and one that his constituents will happily approve, I can guarantee that our Prime Minister will come out of hiding and be right up there on some podium making us all believe in what a shining example he is.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
Are you that emotionally and socially unstable that you require an "in your face" Prime Minister to assure you everything is all right and make longwinded speeches about nothing? That was the Liberal Government, long, drawn out, speeches about nothing. A Government of utterly no substance. Sure Harper could have gone to the AIDS Conference, and blathered on, yet what would have come of it? Nothing. He'd have spoken and you'd be bitching about something else he did or didn't do right now.

As for this:

Well regardless of what it is, this country feels quite leaderless at the moment.

You don't speak for Canada, you're making a claim based on your own dislike the the present Prime Minister. I don't feel leaderless, then again I don't need to have my Prime Minister whoring himself out for me to know he's there and doing his job. If the only thing you have to bitch about (this week) is Steven Harper not speaking at an AIDS Confrence, then you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I think your local YMCA has a program called "letting go of the little things". You may want to check it out.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org
Re: RE: The Art of being invisible.

Mogz said:
Are you that emotionally and socially unstable that you require an "in your face" Prime Minister to assure you everything is all right and make longwinded speeches about nothing? That was the Liberal Government, long, drawn out, speeches about nothing. A Government of utterly no substance. Sure Harper could have gone to the AIDS Conference, and blathered on, yet what would have come of it? Nothing. He'd have spoken and you'd be bitching about something else he did or didn't do right now.

As for this:

You don't speak for Canada, you're making a claim based on your own dislike the the present Prime Minister. I don't feel leaderless, then again I don't need to have my Prime Minister whoring himself out for me to know he's there and doing his job. If the only thing you have to bitch about (this week) is Steven Harper not speaking at an AIDS Confrence, then you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I think your local YMCA has a program called "letting go of the little things". You may want to check it out.

2 points:

1. I liked the article. Keep up the good work eleven! Don't be discouraged by negativity and criticism.

2. He speaks more for the country than the 35% that voted for Harper.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada
Did I say he should have gone to the AIDS Conference and blathered? If you felt the best he could have done was blathered then I can see why you don’t think it would have been a good idea for him to have gone.

Would having made any statement at any of the occurrences I mentioned, been an “in our faces” problem? A five sentence statement? Is that what you refer to as whoring?

Has the Lebanon/Israel conflict not been important enough for our PM to make any comments on leading up to the cessation? Were we not the country with the most “nationals” effected? Let me give you an example of the contrast of the directives our PM has taken in contrast to the leadership of other countries with delegating foreign policy.

From The Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satell...53292007546&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

"For China and for others, we condemn this because I think any attack on the United Nations positions and the United Nations personnel is inexcusable and unacceptable," China's UN Ambassador Wang Guangya said.

Austria and Finland, both of which also lost citizens in the attack, condemned the bombing, with Finnish Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja calling it "truly tragic." The fourth victim was Canadian.

“The fourth victim was Canadian.”

Silence. That is what we gave in response. Oh, and a question from Harper as to wondering what UN Observers were doing there. It’s very telling display of this Leadership. A Leadership that ran on the slogan, “Standing UP For Canada.”

Maybe you don’t feel that the conflict between Lebanon and Israel wasn’t important enough for Harper to have made more comments on no matter how small, but considering how many of our own Canadians are affected, I think it would have been appropriate to show some leadership. To show that he is in touch with this country citizenry because unlike you I don’t wish to just anyone the benefit of the doubt.

The question was, “How much public invisibility by the Prime Minister does it take for a country to feel seemingly leaderless.” and you can answer that for yourself.

I never said I spoke for Canada. That is you talking out of your azz.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
2. He speaks more for the country than the 35% that voted for Harper.

I will only say that I speak for myself on these forums. However I only try to do so under a framework that defends the position I’ve taken.

If I can’t verify my position with reliable sources, well thought out reasoning, or if I start making immature comments on other posters such as “I think your local YMCA has a program called "letting go of the little things" then I start to become of no use here.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Mogz said:
Sure Harper could have gone to the AIDS Conference, and blathered on, yet what would have come of it?

For one thing the Liberian President wouldn't have been obligated by diplomatic protocol to cancel her speech.

quick. slag Liberia. :p

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
and hats off to all of those who are content to be micromanaged by the Wizard of Oz. after all no one can see the Great Wizard. pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
Our governement did have representation at the AIDS conferance, Health Minister Tony Clement attended the conference on the government's behalf.

now let's see, who's better to send to an AIDS conferance, the PRIME MINISTER who's job it is to lead the WHOLE COUNTRY and all ministers, or the HEALTH MINISTER who's job it is to lead the country on HEALTH ISSUES and report to the Prime Minister.

I would be willing to put a thousand dollar wager that not one person who owns a business with 30+ employees, really expected the prime minister instead of the health minister to show up. Even if they did they understand why a leader cannot always attend every function or meeting...

Hey I wonder if that is why we have Ministers??? Do you think?

CBC: "In 1989, Prime Minister Brian Mulroney attended the Quebec event, but Prime Minister Jean Chrétien did not go to Vancouver seven years later."

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

Graeme said:
Our governement did have representation at the AIDS conferance, Health Minister Tony Clement attended the conference on the government's behalf.

now let's see, who's better to send to an AIDS conferance, the PRIME MINISTER who's job it is to lead the WHOLE COUNTRY and all ministers, or the HEALTH MINISTER who's job it is to lead the country on HEALTH ISSUES and report to the Prime Minister.

yeah, eh? what did he do there besides hid behind the coffee machine and cancel his press conference?

I already commented on the direct impact of the PM not attending.

and afa the Chretien thing goes, two wrongs don't make a right unless you're a Conservative looking for excuses.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
CBC:
Earlier in the evening, the Canadian co-chairman conference criticized Prime Minister Stephen Harper for declining an invitation to open the event.

"We are dismayed that the prime minister of Canada, Mr. Stephen Harper, is not here this evening," said Dr. Mark Wainberg at the Rogers Centre.

"Mr. Harper, the role of prime minister includes the responsibility to show leadership on the world stage. Your absence sends a message that you do not regard HIV/AIDS as a critical priority and clearly all of us here tonight disagree with you," he said

Maybe we should be pissed about a man turning a serious conference on a subject like AIDS in to a stage to take a political jab. I thought the purpose of the CONFERENCE was to work together.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Maybe Harper should stop leading with his chin and relying on his PR team to help him play the victim afterwards.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

BitWhys said:
what did he do there besides hid behind the coffee machine and cancel his press conference?

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Graeme said:

All I heard of Health Minister Tony Clement was abruptly canceling his scheduled press conference. For some reason they are postponing the new cash and measures to fight AIDS. Maybe what they were going to propose was an embarrassment? Who would know? The government is secretive at best. However they’ve given the appearance that they don’t know how to handle this International Conference.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060815.wharperpm0815/BNStory/Front

Why was AIDS announcement cancelled?

Globe and Mail Update

Why did the government cancel its AIDS funding press conferences?

That's the question on many delegates' minds at the International AIDS Conference in Toronto Tuesday, a day after Health Minister Tony Clement abruptly cancelled his scheduled press conference.

Tuesday's no-show was International Co-operation Minister Josee Verner, who cancelled a morning news conference.

Mr. Clement and Mr. Verner are Canada's representatives at the conference, after Prime Minister Stephen Harper declined an invitation to appear amid much criticism by scientists and AIDS activists.

Mr. Clement's press conference Monday was supposed to be an announcement of new cash and measures to fight AIDS. It was postponed at the last minute without explanation.

A spokeswoman for Ms. Verner said the Canadian aid package will be augmented before it is officially unveiled this week. Ms. Verner has attended the conference since it opened and wants to adapt the plan based on her findings.

AND

Mr. Harper is definitely not going to Toronto, said PMO spokesman Dimitri Soudas. He plans to work and spend time with his family in Ottawa before heading back to the North today, Mr. Soudas said.

So it’s not because of a busy schedule? Harper seems way in over his head. He seems indecisive on when to present himself as the country’s leader. Again, there really isn’t the presentation of a visible leadership with this country. I base this on the pattern of Harper being very invisible on so many leadership issues.

I’m sure however they will eventually put out an AID package and hail themselves as humanitarian heroes.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006

elevennevele said:
Mr. Harper is definitely not going to Toronto, said PMO spokesman Dimitri Soudas. He plans to work and spend time with his family in Ottawa before heading back to the North today, Mr. Soudas said.

So it’s not because of a busy schedule? Harper seems way in over his head. He seems indecisive on when to present himself as the country’s leader. Again, there really isn’t the presentation of a visible leadership with this country. I base this on the pattern of Harper being very invisible on so many leadership issues.

I’m sure however they will eventually put out an AID package and hail themselves as humanitarian heroes.

Maybe you didn't read what you posted in that quote...
He plans to work and spend time with his family in Ottawa before heading back to the North today, Mr. Soudas said.

So he wants to spend a little time with his family before having to leave them to go back up north, he is also going to get some work done.

So you the "humanitarian" would have a man with a wife and two kids spend NO time with them for the sake of attending a HEALTH conference which his HEALTH MINISTER can attend.

Well Shame On You.

Well Shame On You.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Graeme said:
Well Shame On You.

Well Shame On You.

Oh give me a break. I wasn’t being anti-family. I’ve been decrying a government that seems unaware of the seriousness of issues needing viable representation of our country by this government.

I would love him to spend time with his family. Heck, how would I know he wasn’t spending enough time with the family. He's very invisible as it is, but I’m also sure he could have done a bit of both.

The conference is in Toronto not in Japan. What is an hour of his time for something so important? And if he is to delegate representation for him, why is such representation so very unnoticeable and with the appearance of being unprepared? Maybe you can tell me all that Mr. Clement and Mr. Verner have done at the conference so far. I’d be interested to know since such information seems so hard to come by.

Sorry but I feel the need to throw more passion to things which hold bearings for the nation more than you are doing for the PM’s personal life.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060815.wharperpm0815/BNStory/Front

Meanwhile, the Prime Minister's Office had to squelch rumours yet again Monday that Mr. Harper planned to make an appearance there after all.

Liberal leadership contender Bob Rae yesterday urged the Prime Minister to change his mind.

"The challenge of HIV-AIDS across the world is one of the great humanitarian challenges of our lifetime," he said. "And for the Prime Minister of Canada not to be speaking on behalf of Canada at a conference which is in Toronto, I think is frankly inexcusable. I think the Prime Minister should be there, and he still has the opportunity to go. I think he should still go."

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I think that the main reason some people are so upset that he wasn't there personally is because they wanted an opportunity to boo him and shout him down.Afterwards they could all sip thier spritzers and feel morally superior.Well boo hoo. Africa which has the largest problem by far,were all thier leaders there? Where was Al Gore,Michael Moore,don't they care?

Grit86

May 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, since the AIDS conference is an international, political event, I would have rather seen our national leader than our health minister attend.

elevennevele

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2006
Canada

Again our government becomes invisible. In the face of a planned trip to the Middle East it seems the other political parties will have to make the gesture alone. Oh, but the conservatives will send somebody at a much later date. Oh, and the guy they will send will be a Liberal.

I view this as a diplomatic “cut and run” by the Harper Government. I doubt the security reasons excuse. The statements in reference were confused at best. Moreover, this was a “talk tough” government (err... but not a walk the walk government?) so I don’t understand how other party members can be making the trip in this government’s absence.

Yep that is right. The other party's MPs will have to undertake the diplomatic trip without the Conservatives.

Well, whatever it is, I hope at least this isn’t a small-minded aspect by the Harper Government to the people of the Middle East. I mean, after Harper threw support behind Israel with the “measured response” garbage the value they placed on differing people became all confused.

It’s just so hard to figure it all out when the government makes themselves so invisible.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060815.wtories0815/BNStory/National/home

Tories chided for backing out of Middle East visit

JENNIFER DITCHBURN

Canadian Press

(last half of article)

Mr. Del Mastro, who has been the government's liaison with Canada's Lebanese community, was to fly out Tuesday with Liberal MP Borys Wrzesnewskyj, Bloc MP Maria Mourani, and New Democrat MP Peggy Nash.

He said he unsuccessfully tried to convince the other MPs and organizers from the National Council of Canada-Arab Relations to push back the date.

He wouldn't specify what specific concerns the department had, but said they went further than just safety issues.

At the same time, the department is providing briefings to the other MPs in advance of their departure, and Canadian embassy staff at all their stops will be their main contacts on the ground.

The Bloc Quebecois had originally declined to send an MP in the absence of a ceasefire, but now that the fighting has stopped Lebanese-Canadian Mr. Mourani is going.

The delegation will stop first in Damascus, where it will meet the Syrian foreign minister, MPs and the Speaker of the Syrian parliament. The Canadians also plan to visit a Lebanese refugee camp in Syria.

After that, they head to Beirut. There they will meet the Lebanese foreign minister, representatives from the national parliament, non-governmental organizations, UN agencies and various political parties.

Mr. Chouaib said the delegation will not meet anybody from Hezbollah, considered a terrorist organization by many countries, including Canada. The last stop will be in Cairo.

“From our perspective, in Canada generally speaking there has been one point of view on the conflict, and we would like to give these members of Parliament a broader perspective where they can ask questions directly of Lebanese officials, talk to civil society and UN agencies, and get an idea of the impact of this war on Lebanon,” Mr. Chouaib said.

The Conservative government plans to send its new Mideast adviser, Liberal MP Wajid Khan, to the region to gather information in a separate trip. No date has been given yet on when he might leave.