Only 32% back PM on Mideast

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
The conservatives have also slipped in the polls. My impression is that their continued support is due to the fact there is no liberal leader. Once there is a defined opposition I cannot see Harper surviving. Canada is moving in a scary direction that is not in the best interests of the population as a whole.

OTTAWA — Stephen Harper's decision to support Israel in the current Middle East crisis appears out of step with the majority of Canadians, according to a new poll.

The survey finds that a majority of Canadians want their government to be neutral on the conflict and that Mr. Harper has tilted away from the traditional Canadian position. Moreover, they believe that the Conservative government is taking its cues from U.S. President George W. Bush.

The Globe and Mail/CTV poll also shows that Canadians are paying close attention to the conflict, and that Quebeckers are particularly concerned about the shift.

“What you're struck by is how unpopular the position he has taken is, especially in the province of Quebec,” said Allan Gregg, chairman of the Strategic Counsel, the firm that conducted the poll.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060801.POLL01/TPStory/

I forgot to put in the link.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Quebec didn't support our involvement in WWII either. Strange, given France had been invaded and occupied. I'm not even sure if Quebecers would fight an invading American force given the province's pacifist principles. It's likely their kids would have to be in internment camps for a year before they'd acknowledge there was a problem.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I can't help thinking the best thing for him to do at this point is look himself in the mirror every morning and chant "I will NOT have a hissy fit in public. I will NOT have a hissy fit in public..." :lol:

We'll see how well the glue holds in the CONservative machine now that the cage is finally being rattled.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Re: RE: Only 32% back PM on Mideast

tamarin said:
Quebec didn't support our involvement in WWII either. Strange, given France had been invaded and occupied. I'm not even sure if Quebecers would fight an invading American force given the province's pacifist principles. It's likely their kids would have to be in internment camps for a year before they'd acknowledge there was a problem.

You just can't compare the Quebec of the 1940s to the Quebec of today. It just isn't honest and objective. The collective psyche of Quebec has changed extensively since then. It's gone a pretty long way since "La Révolution Tranquille" and the subsequent rise of nationalism. Your comment clearly betrays your naive and negative bias towards Quebecers.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
RE: Only 32% back PM on M

Polls are usally nothing to take seriously, How many of you guys on this forum got asked where you stand on this issue.....None of you....Polls hardley refelct the real feeling of the Magority of Canadians, although I am sure if evryone was polled in Canada there would still be a slight lead with the non-harper supporters. but not such a large one

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
What position would more than 32% of Canadians support? Would another position or part have 25%? 30%? These types of polls don't have a lot of meaning unless up against a clear alternative. Canada is a diverse country and other than motherhood issues the days of 'one Canada' are long gone.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
In sum Harper is catering to far right interests while playing patronage politics with the Chinese and Lebanese communities. Except for the latter which is counterproductive I fail to see how Canada's diversity fits into Harper's game plan.

If you don't believe in polls there is not much one can say. Most political experts do believe in them and if the conservatives are not concerned then they are really out to lunch.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Like any poll,

so much depends on the size of the sample and was that sample a reasonable cross section of Canadians? The type and number of questions asked is also important. Not knowing any of that, I have to say, "I'll wait for further developments".

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
I put in the link above to the G&M piece. I apologize as i forgot to put it in earlier

The poll itself was conducted by the Strategic Council which is very reputable in Canada. I reall them either reporting the gains in conservative popularity or working for the conservatives directly.

Usually the checks are other polls by the politcial parties themselves or some statement by the party questioning the results.

Anyway there should be enough evidence now for the doubters to state what they see as the problems with the poll.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

No problem. The polll seems straight forward and is likely an indication that Harper should star paying attention to Canadian opinions. The results are subtle in a way because one of the things that kept Harper out of office or out of a majority was the feeling that he would just follow Bush around like a dog. Be interesting to see how harper handles this. He might just ignore it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
#juan said:

No problem. The polll seems straight forward and is likely an indication that Harper should star paying attention to Canadian opinions. The results are subtle in a way because one of the things that kept Harper out of office or out of a majority was the feeling that he would just follow Bush around like a dog. Be interesting to see how harper handles this. He might just ignore it.

I was so damn tired of "finger in the breeze" leadership.........It is good to see someone lead from the front......but yes, it will probably cost him.

I don't know why everyone loves to go on about Harper following Bush aroud, it is crap, just a meaningless smear..........has it ever occured to you guys that maybe two men could agree on something independent of each other? I hardly think Harper called Bush and asked what he should say.

Criticism of Harper's ME stand is valid and reasonable, accusing him of being Bush's lap dog is just vicious and unreasonable.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've never been accused of being viscious before, but I have to say that Mulroney could never get his nose in quick enough or far enough with old Ronny Raygun. I see at least some similarities between Reagan and Mulroney and Harper and Bush. If that makes you uncomfortable so be it. I would like to see a leader that put Canada and Canadians first.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I really have my doubts about the strategic council being unbiased.I have seen a few of thier experts on Question period. Having said that I applaud Harper for standing up for what is right instead of what is popular.That is the mark of a real leader.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Colpy said:
#juan said:

I was so damn tired of "finger in the breeze" leadership.........It is good to see someone lead from the front......but yes, it will probably cost him.

I don't know why everyone loves to go on about Harper following Bush aroud, it is crap, just a meaningless smear..........has it ever occured to you guys that maybe two men could agree on something independent of each other? I hardly think Harper called Bush and asked what he should say.

Criticism of Harper's ME stand is valid and reasonable, accusing him of being Bush's lap dog is just vicious and unreasonable.

I agree, Colpy. Harper is his own independent person and doesn't ask Bush what to do.

As for Harper's position on the Middle East conflict, I'm one of the people in that 32% that supports Harper's position.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
When The american ambassador said that the US doesn't recognize Canada's ownership of the Nortwest Passage. Harper stated that canada not the USA will set our policies. I believe that he means it. I don't care if harper has some similarities to GWB, it's of no concern. Canada is Canada and will set our own policies with any competent leadership. The Liberal never lead but revelled in uselessly bashing the US.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Harper needs to worry that the Lebanon war does not escalate. There are 35,000 Canadians still in south Lebanon and if more of them are killed then this will get very complicated for Harper. He will either have to retract his support for Israel or become a Prime Minister that supports the mass killing of his own citizens. I think that some Canadians have rationalized this complication by claiming that the Canadians in Lebanon should have their citizenship removed. This is stupidity. They are Canadians and the vast majority of them became Canadians under the Mulroney government.

The war is not good for Israel either. Hezbollah has to be defused and disarmed. But the level of anti-Israel sentiment that is being created in the Middle East and abroad with this indiscriminate bombing will have long term consequences for Israel.

This poll points to a desire for a centering trend in Canada. Canada doesn’t need liberal or conservative extremists. My prediction is that Michael Ignatieff will be the next PM and that he will lead a majority liberal government that has been sanitized of the old dysfunctions. Harper of course could still recover if he moves to the center.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Only 32% back PM on Mideast

iARTthere4iam said:
...Canada is Canada and will set our own policies with any competent leadership...

So if our leadership is so independant and competent why did they waste so much time and effort in committee today trying to get W's new buzzword "substainable" into the motion calling for a ceasefire?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
JonB2004 said:
I agree, Colpy. Harper is his own independent person and doesn't ask Bush what to do.

Damn Jon. Why do you have to say these things when I have a mouthful of water?

:roll:

I don't know why any of us bother with you. You're never going to get it through that thick skull of yours, so what's the point.

ATTENTION: It's people like Caleb here that make me annoyed with this forum.