So what's been going on in Canada since the war broke out?

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
I get home, turn on the news...and its mid east stuff for the better part of 15 minutes. Than stuff about some child saving a dog or stupid shit like that.

Have not had time to read newspapers in depth beyond the front page which is all about the mideast war.

Occasionally stay on top of local news..and its the same shit every day (The Grand Prix of Edmonton, Capital Ex, some drive by shooting, the weather).

So can anyone bring me up to date...what is going on in Canada politically? Is there anything going on under the radar thats not getting any notice but should be or normally would be?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Under the Radar?

Well, one thing sticks out for me.

The opposition parties on the House of Commons Standing Committee on International Trade have used their numbers to force the committee to reconvene for a series of emergency meetings during the summer, in order to discuss the softwood lumber agreement that The Honourable David Emerson, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver Kingsway and the Minister of International Trade, some weeks ago. However, the Conservative Party of Canada has hinted that it could attempt to dissolve the committee, thereby preventing the opposition parties from protesting the agreement during the Summer.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: So what's been going

Interesting Five Paradox....
Remind me again..was it not the conservative gov't that promised a fair and open government?

Five..you might know this....is it common for the House of Commons to meet over the summer for a few sessions? It seems to me that while the Liberal's ruled, we had a few sessions every year in the summer time. Or am i just thinking we have, but we haven't.

How is the Liberal Race going? I still haven't decided on who to through my support for, but i haven't heard much about what is going on this summer. I just renewed my Liberal party membership for another five years.....your thoughts Five Paradox?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Summer Sessions; Grit Leadership

Semperfi_dani, ever since the House of Commons adopted the "parliamentary calender" (one of the worst things that the House could have done, in my opinion), Summer sessions for the House are definitely uncommon. However, it's not uncommon for one or more of the House's committees to force an emergency reconvene.

However, if the Government of Canada flexed its parliamentary muscles, it could recall the entire body of the House of Commons, in an attempt to move to revoke the terms of reference for the committee (which would be an extreme course of action, to dissolve a standing {or permanent} committee).

Indeed, it was the Conservative Party of Canada that vowed to become more transparent than any Government before them. Given the attitude in relation to dissenting voices, however, I certainly question their sincerity. In terms of the Leadership Race for the Liberal Party of Canada, I think I am going to throw my support behind The Honourable Stéphane Dion, P.C., M.P., the Member for Saint-Laurent—Cartierville.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Five Paradox, i too am leaning strongly towards Stephane Dion..i have since the beginning. I also really like Scot Brison, but I do not think he has a chance this time around. I was breifly interested in Kennedy and Volpe, but have changed my mind. I still don't know enough about Ignatieff to consider supporting him. And i would rather eat my arm than even consider Rae. So really, that leaves Dion and Brison (cancelling out the other people running that is).

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
RE: So what's been going on in Canada since the war broke ou

I wanted Mr. Brison to win, too—but it occurred to me that he just doesn't have the support that he would need right now to win the leadership race, and he might be seen as too "new" to the party. So, to that end, I think that M Dion would make an excellent leader.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

I agree completely. I think Dion would bring some respect back to the party. He would be a uniting force between the Martin supporters and the Chretien supporters. He has a real meaty knowledge of what needs to be done in Canada. If he has one weakness, its that i'm not 100% convinced he would get support out west, but its a lost cause to even try some days (save for BC/Manitoba).

He however could do well if he were to appoint Brison as his deputy minister or something more meaty.

Are you going to Montreal, Five Paradox? I wanted to but cannot get the time off work.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

The Liberal Party should wander in the wilderness for forty years. I don't think any contender at the moment can rescue it. I find it headshaking to think any might support it. Time for the NDP or someone else to step in to field a credible opposition.

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
Re: So what's been going on in Canada since the war broke ou

I have a hard time caring, right now, what the Liberals do. I'll start listening when they finish their "time out" that they are currently in for bad behavior. The NDP? No, I don't think I want to see Canada go that far into debt, I can already hear my money being spent.
So, for now it's Steve. Go Steve.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

I agree. Harper is the only choice at the moment. But if opposition is needed, and it always is, it should come from a political quarter free of obvious corruption.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: So what's been going on in Canada since the war brok

tamarin said:
The Liberal Party should wander in the wilderness for forty years. I don't think any contender at the moment can rescue it. I find it headshaking to think any might support it. Time for the NDP or someone else to step in to field a credible opposition.

The NDP has just as good a fiscal track record as, if not better than, the other two parties. In fact they have a higher percentage of surplus years over deficit than the other two parties combined.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Harper just announced compensation for ALL those who contacted Hep C from tainted blood.

Hang your heads in shame, Liberals.

I assume Carolyn Bennet will now be crossing the floor on principle.....oh yeah, I forgot, SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

One of the most disgusting things I have ever seen in the House was Bennet standing in tears to vote FOR the bill that FAILED to compensate all sufferers. I mean, I didn't expect6 her to cross, but she could have voted against it, or simply abstained.

Anyway, KUDOS to Harper and the CPC.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006

The more I hear Dion speak the more I like him. However, the big question is how will English-Canada react to yet another french leader? I would tend to agree with Denis Coderre that the next leader should be from outside of Quebec. So, I am still supporting Kennedy, but I think Dion will have a good chance. The last 3 standing will be Dion, Kennedy and Iggy. Of course, I'm not actually a member of the liberal party so what I think doesn't really count. If Belinda Stronach had her way and membership was $1 per year with everyone getting to vote for the next leader, then I would join.

Tamarin,
Why do you find it so strange that anyone would support the liberal party, especially given such a lack of alternatives?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON

How could one possibly support the Liberal Party when given the evidence of Gomery? It was widely known in Quebec the party was illegally funding money to party operations there, paying campaign bills and expenses, and no one would blow the whistle. The Quebec wing was a law unto itself. If it hadn't been for the inquiry and those lone voices initially pushing for it, it would be business as usual. Martin's denials were the nervy last straw. The Liberal Party has a lot to answer for and an apology is the least of it.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

speaking on wonky books

the CPC handed in their convention books yet? think they'll hand in the right set this time?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Martin's Response to the Scandal

It should be noted (which seems to be ignored by many opponents of the party) that The Right Honourable Paul Martin, P.C., M.P., the Member for LaSalle—Émard, issued an apology to all Canadians for the terrible faults that occurred with the Sponsorship Program. At least the previous Government of Canada took responsibility for their mistakes! As Mr. Martin made quite clear, any funds that had been wrongfully taken through the Sponsorship Program has been returned.

As for the new Government of Canada, perhaps their party should consider co-operating with Mr. Jean-Pierre Kingsley, the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, in terms of investigating the suspicious behaviour of the Conservative Party of Canada in relation to their convention funding practices. The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, outright lied to the media when he said that he had already given Mr. Kingsley everything that he had asked for.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: So what's been going on in Canada since the war brok

tamarin said:
How could one possibly support the Liberal Party when given the evidence of Gomery? It was widely known in Quebec the party was illegally funding money to party operations there, paying campaign bills and expenses, and no one would blow the whistle. The Quebec wing was a law unto itself. If it hadn't been for the inquiry and those lone voices initially pushing for it, it would be business as usual. Martin's denials were the nervy last straw. The Liberal Party has a lot to answer for and an apology is the least of it.

The Liberal Party is far from perfect, I don't think anyone will argue with that. But I don't understand why people keep bringing up the sponsorship scandal and the Gomery inquiry. As was pointed out, Paul Martin not only apologized on behalf of the Liberal party, but he also personally took responsibility and apologized for "not being more vigilant" as the finance minister. This coming from someone who was exonerated by the Gomery inquiry. There are definately people in the former liberal party who can not escape blame, notably gagliano and chretien, but it is important to note that neither of them are current MPs and NONE of the current party was implicated in the scandal. Yet somehow, the conservative party can't get that fact in their heads, and will continue to bring it up at every opportunity. If you still think Paul Martin was to blame, either as finance minister or for not calling the Gomery inquiry sooner, then you can take comfort in the fact that Paul Martin is no longer the leader of the party and I doubt he will even run in the next federal election. I do not blame the party for the mistakes of it's past members, whether it be the sponsorship scandal or the internment of Japanse-Canadians during WWII, both of which harper likes to bring up and blame the Liberals for.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Past Mistakes

Good points, gc.

If we're going to hold a [resolved] issue against the Liberal Party of Canada forever (besides the fact that nobody implicated in the Sponsorship Program is in the present party's House membership), then let's hold a few against the Conservative Party of Canada. They opposed the creation of our National Flag! The Conservatives don't want us to have our own identity! Off with their heads!

lo2

Electoral Member
May 26, 2006
Re: So what's been going on in Canada since the war broke ou

Awesome.