Lebanese In Halifax Blasts Harper's Support For Israel

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I have zero interest in what Lebanon thinks. It's barely a country. The government's sovereignty has been tested by Hezbollah and found wanting. That's being polite. If the Lebanese are not in control of their borders or who's overseeing them, the international community should ignore them.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Tenor Sax said:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060719.wConsul0718/BNStory/International/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20060719.wConsul0718

What do yall think about that?

edit -fixed link

I'll take this one people as I am the only one who seems to display the correct intellect to do so.

“If we as a country want to change this position, or change this policy, believe me, it's not the time to do it,” said Mr. Fares, a Halifax businessman who immigrated to Canada 30 years ago.

Guy's been here for 30 years yet he still shows much concern for the very country he left. Why the concern for a country which no longer should has anything to do with him? Is he Canadian or is he not?

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has called Israel's bombing of Lebanon “a measured response” to aggression by the militants.

A absolutely correct assessment of the situation in Lebanon. So what's the problem with his statement?

Many in the Lebanese community view Mr. Harper's statement as an abrupt shift towards outright support for the Israelis.

“You can probably say the position of the Canadian government is changing and it's up to us maintain our country where it was,” said Fares.”

What shift in position? Mr. Harper has always maintained his support for the Israelis. There has been no shift in our government's position. Canada has forever backed the Israelis and their right to defend themselves.

While Mr. Fares condemned Hezbollah's decision to kidnap Israeli soldiers and launch rocket attacks on Israel, he said nothing justifies the Israeli army's “brutal and inhumane” retaliation

Does this mean he justifies the actions of Hezbollah? Israel should do nothing whilst their civilians are being bombed on a daily basis and had been even before Hezbollah killed and keeped their soldiers on Israeli territory? Does he not understand all of this was started by Hezbollah? Does he not understand in fact that Israel actually has the right to invade Lebanon if she so desires according to international law? What's this guy smoking? He must live in Barrie where all that weed grows.

Mr. Fares said Lebanon has struggled through 15 years of rebuilding only to see its many advances reduced to rubble.

“Why do we have to pay the price all of the time?” he asked. “Why do we have to be in a rebuilding mode? Why can't we get a chance to rebuild and enjoy what we've done?”

Perhaps the idiot should have thought about this before his country allowed Hezbollah to not only set up terrorist bases within Lebanon's borders but also to allow them seats within Lebanon's government. That alone gives Israel the right to destroy Lebanon's government. It makes Lebanon a terrorist nation since terrorists are part and parcel of the government structure of that nation. Lebanon has to pay the price for allowing Hezbollah to operate at will within Lebanon's border, committing terrorist acts against the people of Israel.

Earlier Wednesday, Lebanon's prime minister said 300 people have been killed, 1,000 wounded and half a million displaced in Israel's week-old onslaught.

Most interesting. Nothing about the numbers of Israeli dead, wounded or displaced. Why?

As many as 50,000 Canadians are believed to be in Lebanon and a somewhat chaotic effort is underway to evacuate those who want to leave.

If they are Canadian, why are they in Lebanon to begin with? This poses a most interesting question. Everyone knows the majority of these 'Canadians' are those who immigrated to Canada in order to use it as a 'country of convenience'.

It is my contention any Canadians who decide to live abroad for more than 6 months be deprived of any Canadian citizenship. We will not be a doorstop for these people. As a result when the Canadian government is finished evacuating these 'Canadians' I would suggest each of those 'Canadians' be presented with a bill to pay for the high cost of their evacuation. Why should the Canadian taxpayer need to pay for their evacuation? These people consider themselves to be Lebanese anyway so either they pay their costs or at the very least let their beloved Lebanese government pay their way.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Lebanon should concentrate on having an effective army before they start pointing finger at other countries.

They have allowed Hezbollah to run free with impunity so far, perhaps they should try to reign then in. Lebanon's incompetence is not an excuse.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Lebanese In Halifax Blasts Harper's Support For Isra

tamarin said:
I have zero interest in what Lebanon thinks. It's barely a country. The government's sovereignty has been tested by Hezbollah and found wanting. That's being polite. If the Lebanese are not in control of their borders or who's overseeing them, the international community should ignore them.

Well said. What country? There are Hezbollah cabinet members. The foreign minister of Lebanon is a Hezbollah member. The Germans voted for Nazis in the 1930's and we didn't drop bombs only on Nazi voters in WW2. The Lebanese people have made no attempt to denounce terrorism because they are mostly chickenshit Arabs who, when push comes to shove, are hypocrites.

It was amusing watching the Lebanese PM complain about the international community 'doing nothing' when he has 'done nothing' to diminish Hezbollah's militias.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

athabaska said:
tamarin said:

Well said. What country? There are Hezbollah cabinet members. The foreign minister of Lebanon is a Hezbollah member. The Germans voted for Nazis in the 1930's and we didn't drop bombs only on Nazi voters in WW2. The Lebanese people have made no attempt to denounce terrorism because they are mostly chickenshit Arabs who, when push comes to shove, are hypocrites.

It was amusing watching the Lebanese PM complain about the international community 'doing nothing' when he has 'done nothing' to diminish Hezbollah's militias.

Precisely my point within this thread. Ah but the height of Arab hypocrisy. They don't make their own beds and the resulting chaos is the rest of the world's fault. Such logic! This is why Arabs are a 'great' people! Not!

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
SaintLucifer said:
Guy's been here for 30 years yet he still shows much concern for the very country he left. Why the concern for a country which no longer should has anything to do with him? Is he Canadian or is he not?

Funny coming from a guy who defended Britain in another thread when someone insulted that country. I can only imagine how much concern you might show if Britain was being bombed rather than some minor insult to your parents native land on an internet thread. Are you Canadian or are you not?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
gc said:
SaintLucifer said:

Funny coming from a guy who defended Britain in another thread when someone insulted that country. I can only imagine how much concern you might show if Britain was being bombed rather than some minor insult to your parents native land on an internet thread. Are you Canadian or are you not?

The comparison is ridiculous. I was defending my culture and the country. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian culture. Never has and never shall. Britain has everything to do with Canadian culture. You are speaking and typing in English are you not? When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

I saw the recent bombings in London by Muslims. I reacted as every Canadian probably did - with disgust. Nothing more. I would show far more concern if anyone bombed Canada. I am Canadian long before I am British.

I will put it into words such that you will understand my position on these matters.

If Canada and Britain were to go to war with each other, I would fight on Canada's side without batting an eyelash. Does this answer your question? My parents were born in Britain. I was not. I care very much about my culture and my British heritage but I am first and foremost a Canadian. I could care less about Britain until someone attempts to offend my culture and heritage. This country has been British territory for far longer than it has been an independent country. Never forget this. I don't. A Lebanese-Canadian has no right to be in this country yet attacking it whilst defending their beloved Lebanon. I never attack my own country for I love it with all of my heart. Do you see me heading to Britain for 6 months of the year? No. Then don't bloody well compare me with those Lebanese morons who would sooner wipe their feet on the Canadian state than head out to Lebanon. I bleed Canadian red. Is this enough for you?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
SaintLucifer said:
The comparison is ridiculous. I was defending my culture and the country. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian culture. Never has and never shall.

So it's ok to defend Britain but not ok to defend Lebanon? Ok got it.

Britain has everything to do with Canadian culture. You are speaking and typing in English are you not? When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

Wow the British founded Canada eh? And they were dying before non-Britons set foot upon Canadian soil? I think you need a history lesson here. The first people on Canadian soil were Natives, followed by the Vikings, then Cabot (who was actually Italian, but hey if you want to consider him English then fine Britain gets third place).

I saw the recent bombings in London by Muslims. I reacted as every Canadian probably did - with disgust. Nothing more. I would show far more concern if anyone bombed Canada. I am Canadian long before I am British.

So you reacted with disgust just like these people from Lebanon are reacting with disgust. I'm sure if Canada was bombed, these Lebanese-Canadians would also be disgusted.

This country has been British territory for far longer than it has been an independent country. Never forget this. I don't.

And Natives have been living here for far longer than the British. Don't forget that.

A Lebanese-Canadian has no right to be in this country yet attacking it whilst defending their beloved Lebanon. I never attack my own country for I love it with all of my heart.

The Lebanese-Canadian in this newspaper article was not attacking Canada. He was simply asking for a ceasefire from both sides. You'll notice that he is condemning hezbollah as well as israel.

While Mr. Fares condemned Hezbollah's decision to kidnap Israeli soldiers and launch rocket attacks on Israel, he said nothing justifies the Israeli army's “brutal and inhumane” retaliation.

Do you see me heading to Britain for 6 months of the year? No.

The guy wasn't living in Lebanon 6 months of the year. He describes himself as a Halifax businessman who was visiting his parents. Go back and read the article.

Mr. Fares, who visited his parents in northern Lebanon last week...

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
gc said:
SaintLucifer said:
The comparison is ridiculous. I was defending my culture and the country. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian culture. Never has and never shall.

Britain has everything to do with Canadian culture. You are speaking and typing in English are you not? When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

Wow the British founded Canada eh? And they were dying before non-Britons set foot upon Canadian soil? I think you need a history lesson here. The first people on Canadian soil were Natives, followed by the Vikings, then Cabot (who was actually Italian, but hey if you want to consider him English then fine Britain gets third place).

So you reacted with disgust just like these people from Lebanon are reacting with disgust. I'm sure if Canada was bombed, these Lebanese-Canadians would also be disgusted.

This country has been British territory for far longer than it has been an independent country. Never forget this. I don't.

And Natives have been living here for far longer than the British. Don't forget that.

A Lebanese-Canadian has no right to be in this country yet attacking it whilst defending their beloved Lebanon. I never attack my own country for I love it with all of my heart.

The Lebanese-Canadian in this newspaper article was not attacking Canada. He was simply asking for a ceasefire from both sides. You'll notice that he is condemning hezbollah as well as israel.

While Mr. Fares condemned Hezbollah's decision to kidnap Israeli soldiers and launch rocket attacks on Israel, he said nothing justifies the Israeli army's “brutal and inhumane” retaliation.

Do you see me heading to Britain for 6 months of the year? No.

The guy wasn't living in Lebanon 6 months of the year. He describes himself as a Halifax businessman who was visiting his parents. Go back and read the article.

Mr. Fares, who visited his parents in northern Lebanon last week...

As relates to Canadians it most certainly is. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canada. Never has and never shall. It is simply a nothing country no one gives a shit about.

I said the British founded Canada. Do you understand the concept of the word 'founded'? Shall I? Alright. I shall.
Canada was founded as a union of British colonies, some of which had earlier been French colonies. Canada peacefully obtained independence from the United Kingdom in a process spanning from 1867 to 1982.
Does this help you to understand? No? Alright. How about this:
found·er
n.
One who establishes something or formulates the basis for something: the founder of a university; the founders of a new nation.
How about this. Does this help?
The British North America Act created "one dominion under the name of Canada",
or this?
Canada is a constitutional monarchy that recognizes Elizabeth II as Queen of Canada (since February 6, 1952),[14][15] and a parliamentary democracy with a federal system of parliamentary government, and strong democratic tradition
The last time I checked the Queen was English. That would be British.
The Vikings 'founded' nothing. They were here before the British. So were the French. Cabot had nothing to do with Canada's founding. What is your point? I said the British 'founded' Canada, not that they were here first. What was that about a history lesson?

The guy wasn't living in Lebanon 6 months of the year. He describes himself as a Halifax businessman who was visiting his parents. Go back and read the article
I was not talking about him there. I was talking about a large portion of those Lebanese currently in Lebanon who purport to be Canadians yet spend 6 months of 12 months in Lebanon. I made this point to show how they are not true Canadians.

Oh really? He was not attacking Canada?
Wadih Fares told a news conference that Canada's failure to call for a ceasefire has been interpreted by Israel as a “green light” to continue its aggressive military campaign against Hezbollah militants.
Looks like he is to me. Time for Canada to show him the door.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I said the British founded Canada. Do you understand the concept of the word 'founded'? Shall I? Alright. I shall.
Canada was founded as a union of British colonies, some of which had earlier been French colonies. Canada peacefully obtained independence from the United Kingdom in a process spanning from 1867 to 1982.
found·er
n.
One who establishes something or formulates the basis for something: the founder of a university; the founders of a new nation.

Shall I repeat what you said in your previous post?:

When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

Wrong. Still think you don't a history lesson?

If we are talking about names here, you do realize where the name Canada was derived from, don't you?

or this?
Canada is a constitutional monarchy that recognizes Elizabeth II as Queen of Canada (since February 6, 1952),[14][15] and a parliamentary democracy with a federal system of parliamentary government, and strong democratic tradition

The Balfour Declaration of 1926 provided the dominions the right to be considered equal to Britain, rather than subordinate; an agreement that had the result of, in theory, a shared Crown that operates independently in each Realm rather than a unitary British Crown under which all the dominions were secondary. The Monarchy thus ceased to be an exclusively British institution, although it has often been called "British" since this time (in both legal and common language) for reasons historical, legal, and of convenience.

The Vikings 'founded' nothing. They were here before the British. So were the French. Cabot had nothing to do with Canada's founding. What is your point? I said the British 'founded' Canada, not that they were here first. What was that about a history lesson?

The Vikings set foot on Canadian soil, as did many others, before the British even set foot on Canadian soil, let alone died for this country. That is what you wrote in your last post.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
gc said:
found·er
n.

Shall I repeat what you said in your previous post?:

When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

Wrong. Still think you don't a history lesson?

If we are talking about names here, you do realize where the name Canada was derived from, don't you?

or this?

The Balfour Declaration of 1926 provided the dominions the right to be considered equal to Britain, rather than subordinate; an agreement that had the result of, in theory, a shared Crown that operates independently in each Realm rather than a unitary British Crown under which all the dominions were secondary. The Monarchy thus ceased to be an exclusively British institution, although it has often been called "British" since this time (in both legal and common language) for reasons historical, legal, and of convenience.

The Vikings set foot on Canadian soil, as did many others, before the British even set foot on Canadian soil, let alone died for this country. That is what you wrote in your last post.

OMMFG! Are you for real? Alright. I'll bite.

WHO FOUNDED CANADA?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
SaintLucifer said:

WHO FOUNDED CANADA?

Once again, that's not what you said in your previous post. You said "before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil." Why can't you just admit that you were wrong?

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
gc said:
SaintLucifer said:

WHO FOUNDED CANADA?

Once again, that's not what you said in your previous post. You said "before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil." Why can't you just admit that you were wrong?

I find this game you play of avoiding any questions I may have rather cute. This is how you attempt to hide your ignorance. Here is my post exactly as I typed it:

The comparison is ridiculous. I was defending my culture and the country. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian culture. Never has and never shall. Britain has everything to do with Canadian culture. You are speaking and typing in English are you not? When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.The comparison is ridiculous. I was defending my culture and the country. Lebanon has absolutely nothing to do with Canadian culture. Never has and never shall. Britain has everything to do with Canadian culture. You are speaking and typing in English are you not? When you insult the British you insult those individuals who not only founded our country but actually died for it long before any non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil.

I see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary with my post. Where is my history incorrect? Canada was in fact founded by the British so that is correct. The British died for Canada long before non-Britons ever set foot upon Canadian soil. Also correct. Never heard of the Indian Wars or the War of 1812? Those were British wars. The point of those wars? Defending Canadian territory. That was my point. You were saying about knowledge of history...? Was Canada yet even a nation when the Vikings set food upon our soil? None too bright are you? Notice I said 'Canadian soil'. Was it Canadian soil when the Vikings were here? By the way, the Vikings only set foot on Newfoundland. They never touched the mainland just so you know.

What does the name 'Canada' have to do with anything?
The name Canada is believed to come from the Huron-Iroquois word kanata, which means "village" or "settlement". In 1535, locals used the word to tell Jacques Cartier the way to the village of Stadacona, site of present-day Quebec City. Cartier used Canada to refer not only to Stadacona, but also to the entire area subject to Donnacona, Chief at Stadacona; by 1547, maps began referring to this and the surrounding area as Canada.
There you go. Now what does that have to do with Canada's founding?

Canadian culture has historically been heavily influenced by English, French, Irish, Scottish and Aboriginal cultures and traditions
Strange. Why no Viking influence on Canadian culture? Oh yes. That would be due to the fact the Vikings had never set foot on 'Canadian' soil. Understood.

You do realise Canada's Head of State is the Queen of England yes? I doubt you do.

I therefore rest my case. Please learn who you are up against in future. Thank you.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Lebanese In Halifax B

Since this is getting way off topic, I propose we move it to wreck beach.

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You know what Lucifer this whole supreme Nazi shit is getting really tiresome. Give it a rest and make your points like everyone else, without constantly insulting everyone who questions your comments. Aeon wouldn't listen and he's on vacation. I hope the mods do the same for you.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
Re: RE: Lebanese In Halifax B

gc said:
Since this is getting way off topic, I propose we move it to wreck beach.

Of course you want it moved. You are getting your ass handed to you here and in spades. Move it for all I care but that will never change the fact I own you when it comes to my country's history.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Lineman said:
You know what Lucifer this whole supreme Nazi shit is getting really tiresome. Give it a rest and make your points like everyone else, without constantly insulting everyone who questions your comments. Aeon wouldn't listen and he's on vacation. I hope the mods do the same for you.

Did you just threaten me? Strange that you call me a 'Nazi' yet you are the one bandying about threats. I am not a Nazi. I am a fascist. There is a difference.

If my 'shit' is really getting tiresome then do not read my 'shit'. It really is that simple.

I am insulting everyone? Where? I demanded proof when someone else made the same claim. Show me where I have insulted anyone.

I am making my points. Just because no one agrees with my points does not give you the right to whine and moan about how I should be 'given a vacation'. If you do not like my posts don't read them. It cannot be any simpler than this. What is the difficulty?

You claim I have 'insulted' people when I have never done such yet you sit there and call me a 'Nazi'. That is an insult to one whose parents were born in Great Britain. Perhaps it is you who needs a vacation yes? Perhaps a moderator should question your need to brand me a 'Nazi'?

Lineman

No sparks please
Feb 27, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah typical response, I didn't expect anything different. Thanks for reaffirming mine and I'm sure others opinions of you and your Nazi, excuse me, fascist blitherings. You take up bandwidth better used by intelligent two way conversation not the arrogant rants you usually torture us with.
Stay tuned for more pleasant conversation from St, Lucy

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006

Lineman said:
Yeah typical response, I didn't expect anything different. Thanks for reaffirming mine and I'm sure others opinions of you and your Nazi, excuse me, fascist blitherings. You take up bandwidth better used by intelligent two way conversation not the arrogant rants you usually torture us with.
Stay tuned for more pleasant conversation from St, Lucy

Yet here you are again, not only reading my 'fascist' blitherings but responding to them also. How am I 'torturing' you? Did I force you to read my posts? If they bother you so much do not read them. There is nothing simpler on this earth.