Another round of "Ralph Bucks"?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Alberta Premier Ralph Klein is considering giving Albertans another round of "Ralph Bucks". Klein said he wants to at least consider giving some of the province's wealth back to Albertans. In January, the Alberta government sent $400 cheques to every person in the province. The program costed $1.4 billion. Last week, Alberta Finance Minister Shirley McClellan revealed a $8.7 billion budget surplus. Most of the money has already been commited, but there is still $2.7 billion left over. Conservative MLAs will discuss the issue at a meeting in Calgary on Monday, where ministers will be bringing forward proposals for the money. But the "Ralph Bucks" are not popular with the opposition. Liberal leader Kevin Taft is against the idea of another round of cheques. "The $1.4 billion we spent on that could have gone a significant way to permanently taking a bite out of poverty in this province." Taft told reporters. Several candidates who are seeking for Klein's job as Conservative leader have also rejected the idea of more prosperity cheques. Klein said there are many factors to consider before any money is handed out.

Check it out at CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/07/04/rebate-cheques.html

My Two Cents

I don't think Ralph Klein should be handing out another round of prosperity cheques. Instead he should put it towards new program spending, use it to reduce poverty, and give out some tax cuts.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
I'd take the 8.7 billion surplus and divide it among Albertans and send everyone a $2500 cheque. Alberta is already spending more per capita than other provinces. Over 3 billion more dollars in the toilet this year. Governments are great at wasting OUR money.

Every special interest group is out crying and whining for more millions and billions. It's amazing how all the folks in the rest of Canada aren't illiterate and dead because of the amounts those provincial governments spend per capita on health, education, etc.

"The highest per capita spending on health among the provinces in 2005–2006 is projected to be in Alberta ($3,298), Newfoundland and Labrador ($3,184) and Manitoba ($3,128), while the lowest is forecasted in Quebec ($2,449), Prince Edward Island ($2,682) and New Brunswick ($2,847)."

Not only is Alberta the highest but we should be the lowest. We have the youngest population and the younger the population, the less patients (as % of population) using the health care system each year. We spend 28% more per patient interaction than the national average.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
RE: Another round of "Ral

That's stupid. Why would you spend the entire surplus on "Ralph Bucks"? Just because Alberta spends more money per capita, doesn't mean that its enough. Let's take transportation for example. Have you been on the Deerfoot Trail? There are so many bumps in that damn highway that my ass hurts.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Re: RE: Another round of "Ral

JonB2004 said:
That's stupid. Why would you spend the entire surplus on "Ralph Bucks"? Just because Alberta spends more money per capita, doesn't mean that its enough. Let's take transportation for example. Have you been on the Deerfoot Trail? There are so many bumps in that damn highway that my ass hurts.

You need toget off that lazy ass and get a job that pays enough so you can buy a car with a good suspension. Alberta roads and hiways are gold-plated quality next to anywhere else in Canada. There's back alleys in Calgary that are better maintained than roads in Saskatchewan.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alberta spends 3 times the national average on roads and other infrastructure. The governmnent doesn't need to spend more. It needs to spend what it does now more wisely.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

athabaska said:
You need toget off that lazy ass and get a job that pays enough so you can buy a car with a good suspension. Alberta roads and hiways are gold-plated quality next to anywhere else in Canada. There's back alleys in Calgary that are better maintained than roads in Saskatchewan.

Yes, if I remember correctly the roads in Saskatchewan were pretty bumpy. But the roads in Alberta aren't all that great either. The only parts of the Deerfoot that are nice are the newer parts.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Re: RE: Another round of "Ralph Bucks"?

athabaska said:
Alberta spends 3 times the national average on roads and other infrastructure. The governmnent doesn't need to spend more. It needs to spend what it does now more wisely.

And giving out "Ralph Bucks" is spending the surplus wisely?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

JonB2004 said:
athabaska said:

Yes, if I remember correctly the roads in Saskatchewan were pretty bumpy. But the roads in Alberta aren't all that great either. The only parts of the Deerfoot that are nice are the newer parts.

The deerfoot is a Municiple issue, not a Provincial one.

That said, more free cash from the man? On that note, we cue the music:

Ma ma ma

Mem memmem mem memmem

Ma ma ma

Mehmeh

Ma ma ma

Ma mehmem meh meh meh memmem mem

(What movie is that from? Anyone? Bueller?)

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Mogz, Deerfoot actually the Province's responsibility because it is a highway that happens to pass through Calgary. Either way its a non-issue; Deerfoot Trail has brand new pavement almost the entire stretch.

What the Province really needs to do is address the infrastructure deficits. A balanced provincial budget is all well and good, but if all of the education and health boards are in the red, the province is still in debt. Calgary alone needs over five hundred million dollars in maintenence done on our schools. They are literally falling apart.

Prosperity cheques? Sure, why not. The wife and I are going to need some tuition money come this fall.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

athabaska said:
JonB2004 said:

I work thirty hours a week and go to school full time. I drive an '89 Accord that doesn't like bumps. Fuck you. Not everyone that's poor is that way because they're lazy.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

Mogz, Deerfoot actually the Province's responsibility because it is a highway that happens to pass through Calgary. Either way its a non-issue; Deerfoot Trail has brand new pavement almost the entire stretch.

I stand corrected then. Thanks LRG.

I work thirty hours a week and go to school full time. I drive an '89 Accord that doesn't like bumps. *censored* you. Not everyone that's poor is that way because they're lazy.

No shit. When I was in college I was dirt fucking poor. I couldn't even afford a bus pass, let alone a car. Now that i've got a decent job, i'm still pressed for cash. I'm actually above the poverty line, but that "line" doesn't take in to account; stundent loans, VISA, Amex, rent, food, cay payments, insurance (for a 23 year old male), and all the joys of having a shopoholic girlfriend. Don't get me wrong, i'm not poor, not by a long shot now, but I was during college, and i'm not exactly rich now. There are guys I went to highschool/college with, that are making 3 times the salary I make. Does it suck? Yeah, I would love to be making 90k a year, however my job will never pay that much. Being poor IS a state of mind. Am I poor? No. Am I as financially limber as a piece of cement? Yes.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

WTF? I thought you were in the Canadian Forces. Don't you get payed like $40,000?

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well, what I'm wondering is how you are pressed for cash even though you have a decent job?

How much do you make?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

You, being 16 (and apparently as worldly as me according to you) perhaps aren't aware of what it costs to live on your own. I have:

Student loans
A line of credit (thanks to my college years)
Rent
Bills (various ones)
Two cars (i'm carrying my girlfriend right now)
Insurance (for two cars)
Food
Gas (which gets expensive considering I do an hour commute each day)

Those all add up Jon. There are also other little financial obstacles that creep up each month that eat in to my salary. Am I poor? Not at all. Am I financially flexible? Not as much as i'd like. That said, you don't need to know how much my salary is.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Bring on the cheques. Anytime any government of any stripe wants to give money back to the people, I am for it. Every little bit helps, just ask the retailers when we got the first round of Ralphbucks. They had record months, and perhaps more importantly, they were able to keep more staff employed during that time than they normally would. Give money to the people and it will end up in the economy, which means jobs, which means wages..........you get the idea.

Now, however, I would say keep the Ralphbucks if the health care premiums were eliminated. The only bad part of that is that low income people would not be affected as they either pay a reduced rate or nothing at all, depending upon annual income. Either way, I would be happy. The extra money would be really nice just before Christmas, and would again provide a big boost to the economy.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com

JonB2004 said:

Well, they are paving it as we speak.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006

What's wrong with Ralph bucks? It seems like a better idea than giving tax cuts because it is more progressive. If taxes are cut, the rich (who pay more taxes) will get more money back. But if everyone gets $400 regardless of their income then everyone benefits. Heck I almost wish I lived in Alberta, I could use $400.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

gc said:
What's wrong with Ralph bucks? It seems like a better idea than giving tax cuts because it is more progressive. If taxes are cut, the rich (who pay more taxes) will get more money back. But if everyone gets $400 regardless of their income then everyone benefits. Heck I almost wish I lived in Alberta, I could use $400.

You ALMOST wish? Why would you NOT want to live in the province with the lowest personal income tax, no sales tax, no unemployment to speak of, land of Mountains and Prairies, and Ralphbucks? Move already, okay???