• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know/Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Today, Canada Day, is when the Conservative government's 1% reduction to the GST comes into effect. The GST is now at 6%.

Now this is my question. Does anyone think they are going to notice a difference?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Taxes are death by a thousand cuts. If we can get government to continue to reduce all areas of taxation every little bit will add up to one large noticable difference.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
JonB2004 said:
Today, Canada Day, is when the Conservative government's 1% reduction to the GST comes into effect. The GST is now at 6%.

Now this is my question. Does anyone think they are going to notice a difference?

I will find out in about twenty minutes or so. I purchased a package of cigarettes yesterday, and they cost me $7.01 after tax. I'm going to be purchasing another package today, and I'll report back if I notice a change.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Re: RE: Canada Day means GST

LittleRunningGag said:
Sure they will, and all day I will have to watch people inspect their receipts to make sure that they saved that one percent. Morons. :roll:

Hey, I'm one of those morons that just saved $0.07 on a pack of cigarettes. I don't know about you, but I'm one happy moron today! :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Simpleton said:
LittleRunningGag said:
Sure they will, and all day I will have to watch people inspect their receipts to make sure that they saved that one percent. Morons. :roll:

Hey, I'm one of those morons that just saved $0.07 on a pack of cigarettes. I don't know about you, but I'm one happy moron today! :lol:

At 5 packs a day that adds up quick. :)

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
RE: Canada Day means GST

Sorry, I'm just predicting my day at work. I guarantee that every single person on their way out will be examining and (attempting to) doing the math on just how much they saved.

But I'm bitter about humanity that way. Retail does that to you. :lol:

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

Kreskin said:
Simpleton said:
LittleRunningGag said:

At 5 packs a day that adds up quick. :)

You know what they say... A penny saved, is a penny earned... And I just earned seven of them.

And I dutifully reported my savings here like a good $0.07 agent. The name's Ton... Simple... Ton!!!

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org

LittleRunningGag said:
Sorry, I'm just predicting my day at work. I guarantee that every single person on their way out will be examining and (attempting to) doing the math on just how much they saved.

But I'm bitter about humanity that way. Retail does that to you. :lol:

Oh, you work in retail? Good for you. I work at home. Lots of long hard hours pumping out product, but it pays off if you stick to it and have a plan.

But you're probably right. When I went to the convenience store, I looked at the little display and said, "Oh! The price went down." The cashier there wasn't too impressed with my excitement, but I'm not trying to impress anyone. :lol:

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Seven measly cents. Wow! :roll:

If the government really wanted to give out a tax cut, why didn't they just leave the lowest personal income tax rate at 15% instead of increasing it to 15.5%.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
First of all, the cut was the Conservatives fulfilling a campaign promise.......a new and exciting concept, wouldn't you agree?

Secondly, there is to be a second cut of one percent, thus eliminating abot 30% of the GST tax.

Thirdly, the lowest-income 25 percent of Canadians don't even pay income tax, so the .5% increase in income taxes means ABSOLUTELY nothing to them, while we all pay GST.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
They don't generally pay a whole lot of GST either. You know, since necessities aren't taxed and most of what they spend their money on are necessities.

Oh, and anyone else see that newsletter from the CTF about 'sin taxes' increasing? Seems the Cons don't like us smoking or drinking.

But thats getting off topic.

Its twenty five minutes into my shift. No one has noticed yet, although I haven't actually talked to anyone so that may be why. :lol:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: Canada Day means GST cut

Colpy said:
First of all, the cut was the Conservatives fulfilling a campaign promise.......a new and exciting concept, wouldn't you agree?

Secondly, there is to be a second cut of one percent, thus eliminating abot 30% of the GST tax.

Thirdly, the lowest-income 25 percent of Canadians don't even pay income tax, so the .5% increase in income taxes means ABSOLUTELY nothing to them, while we all pay GST.

Not everybody pays GST! I hate when stephen harper goes on TV and says EVERYONE pays GST and EVERYONE will benefit. Not true! Those low-income people get a GST rebate...sure they may have to wait until the end of the year to get it, but they do get that money back. I make enough money to pay income taxes, but since all of my money goes to tuition/rent/food, I won't save much from the GST cut. I guess I'll save together all those extra pennies so I can use them to pay my income tax.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

bunch of tinkerputt nonsense that may as well have been handed straight to the banks and probably should have been since at least that way it would have called markers.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canada Day means GST cut

gc said:
Colpy said:

Not everybody pays GST! I hate when stephen harper goes on TV and says EVERYONE pays GST and EVERYONE will benefit. Not true! Those low-income people get a GST rebate...sure they may have to wait until the end of the year to get it, but they do get that money back. I make enough money to pay income taxes, but since all of my money goes to tuition/rent/food, I won't save much from the GST cut. I guess I'll save together all those extra pennies so I can use them to pay my income tax.

Low income people will STILL get the rebate.....I believe.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

BitWhys said:
bunch of tinkerputt nonsense that may as well have been handed straight to the banks and probably should have been since at least that way it would have called markers.

HUH?

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The irony is that it's usually financially responsible individuals who appreciate the 1%. Those who already have their finances in order. As stated above: 'a penny saved is a peny earned'.

A reduction in taxes is a positive trend. Better than an increase. A federal surplus and decreased taxes would have been pie-in-the-sky 20 years ago.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca

You know who this is really going to hurt? Wait staff. Seriously, I know an awfully large number of people that calculate their tips by doubling the GST. Where does that leave the poor smucks depending on gratuities? Down two percent on their wages, thats where. :p

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
That's the lamest reason I've heard for not reducing taxes. It's odd how you know an awfully large number (what? 500?) who calculate a tip this way and I've never met any. My friends must just be math literate. hint. People left tips before there ever was a GST.