Tories may have broken political financing laws

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I sure hope the conservatives didn't know they were breaking the financing laws. For now I will give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they really didn't know. However, volpe also says he didn't know where his contributions came from at first, so if we give the conservatives the benefit of the doubt shouldn't we give volpe the benefit of the doubt? Any comments?

Ottawa — The Conservative party may have illegally accepted millions in unreported donations last year because it didn't understand political financing laws.

That's the startling conclusion drawn from testimony given to a Senate committee by the Harper administration's point man on cleaning up government.

Treasury Board President John Baird told the committee late Tuesday that his party did not consider fees paid to attend its March 2005 policy convention to be political contributions.

In fact, the Elections Act stipulates that convention fees do constitute a donation “to the extent that the person paying the fee is not receiving a good or service that has any commercial value beyond its political value.”

Any portion of a convention fee that covers lodging, meals or travel does not count as a contribution.

The Tories' 2005 convention was attended by about 2,900 party members, who paid a regular fee of $600 each, although discounts were available for some. That means the party stood to rake in as much as $1.7 million, all or some of which should have been reported to Elections Canada as donations.

Mr. Baird admitted Tuesday that did not happen.

“Some political parties take their delegate fees to a convention as being a donation. My party at the last convention did not,” he told the Senate's legal and constitutional affairs committee.

Indeed, registration forms for the convention show that the party even charged a $750 fee to professional groups and outside associations, generally lobbyists, who sent representatives to observe the convention.

For such fees, the registration form also noted that payment could be made using corporate credit cards and corporate cheques.

But Steven MacKinnon, national director of the Liberal party, said his legal advice is that such fees constitute an illegal corporate donation. Political parties were banned from accepting corporate donations in 2004, when a number of financing reforms were introduced — including the provision on delegate fees.

Mr. MacKinnon said the Liberal party will “absolutely consider” filing a complaint with the country's elections commissioner about the Tories' handling of convention fees.

“This is millions and millions of dollars potentially in illegal contributions,” he said. “(Mr. Baird) is admitting that his party broke the law.”

Elections Canada had no immediate comment.

The Tories' convention registration form noted that “some portion” of the delegate fee “may constitute a contribution” and thus be eligible for a tax receipt.

But, like Mr. Baird, Conservative party president Don Plett said he didn't think the party counted delegate fees from the 2005 convention as donations. He wasn't sure and referred questions about the fees to Michael Donison, the party's executive director.

Mr. Donison, who did not return calls on the same subject two weeks ago, did not return calls again Wednesday.

Mr. Baird was appearing at committee to defend the proposed Federal Accountability Act which, among other things, would reduce the ceiling on personal political donations to $1,000 from $5,400.

Liberals have complained that if the act goes into force by the fall, as the government hopes, it would prohibit anyone who's donated more than $5 this year to the Liberals from paying the $995 fee to attend the party's leadership convention in December.

But Mr. Baird said he didn't know until recently that this was even an issue. And at various points in his testimony, he suggested it's optional for parties to decide whether to declare convention fees as donations, for which tax receipts would have to be issued.

“In the last number of months, I was putting the paper together to do my own income taxes and I did not get a tax receipt for our (Montreal) convention.... It was never raised by anyone in the drafting of the bill, as far as a delegate fee goes,” he said.

“In my federal political party, you do not get a tax receipt. It is not counted as a donation,” he said at another point. “In my provincial party, you do.”

Link

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the only thing that will save the conservatives is that the parliment is out so by the time of the fall it will all be forgotten.