Ex-soldier found not guilty

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
of sex assault on Manitoba girl

A former soldier who admitted to sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl in Manitoba has been found not guilty, because he convinced the judge that he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Justice Nathan Nurgitz, who handed down the verdict in a Winnipeg court on Thursday, said that in cases where a mental disorder — such as PTSD — is used as a defense, the onus is on the party claiming that defence to prove the illness.

But the judge said the team of experts called by the defence convinced him that Roger Borsch, 34, was indeed suffering from PTSD.

Borsch did not contest the Crown's assertion that he attacked the girl in her home in the northern Manitoba community of The Pas two years earlier, but blamed post-traumatic stress disorder for his actions.

He told the court about horrors he saw as a Canadian Forces peacekeeper in Bosnia in 1994.

He said he once came across a Serbian soldier raping a young girl and shot the man in the head. On another occasion, he said, he saw a girl killed by a landmine.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, a court can find that an accused person committed an act but is not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

Verdict could spur bogus cases, Crown warns

Crown attorney Don Knight said he and the victim's family would discuss the possibility of appealing the verdict.

Knight said he was concerned about the precedent the verdict would set if other people begin to say they committed crimes because of having PTSD.

"It certainly puts you on a slippery slope. Everybody could start to allege that. Whether or not that will happen, time will only tell," Knight said.

"Certainly, they're finding in the United States, particularly, there is a lot of studies that are showing that a lot of PTSD diagnoses they're finding now are malingerers. They just do not have it, they're making it up. So things are changing."

Victim's parents weep, shout insults

The victim of the attack was in the courtroom when Nurgitz delivered the verdict.

She remained quiet throughout the proceedings, but her parents were much more vocal.

The girl's mother wept when Nurgitz recalled her testimony that Borsch, who was her co-worker at the time of the incident, was not in a proper state of mind when he attacked her daughter.

She had testified that she believed he needed professional help.

The teen's father shook his head in disbelief as the verdict was read. When Borsch was led out of the courtroom, the father yelled insults after him.

Borsch to undergo psych review

Borsch is to remain in custody until a psychiatric review board examines the case.

It will decide whether he should be hospitalized or released into the community, and if released, what kind of supervision should be ordered.

Jason Miller, the defence lawyer, said the board had 45 days to make a decision on the matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/22/soldier-not-guilty.html

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think not said:
Lock the phucker up for 10 years and lets see if he'll get a hard on over a 13 year old girl again. Sick *censored*.

I'm with you.

We can't lean over backwards for those who use a deficientcy mental or physical to excuse harm done.

Did he know it was wrong?

Yes.....lock him up in prison.

No......lock him up in the whacko ward.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Colpy said:
I think not said:
Lock the phucker up for 10 years and lets see if he'll get a hard on over a 13 year old girl again. Sick *censored*.

I'm with you.

We can't lean over backwards for those who use a deficientcy mental or physical to excuse harm done.

Did he know it was wrong?

Yes.....lock him up in prison.

No......lock him up in the whacko ward.

Why not both, prison for awhile and then a psycho ward.

Claudius

Electoral Member
May 23, 2006
RE: Ex-soldier found not

The genesis of PTSD is that when you are 'out in the world' one is always subduing, submerging, re-routing and otherwise denying their emotional reactions to stimuli. One closes up; develops a hard coating. This is a defensive style of instinctively adjusting and adapting to your new environment. It's what people do.

The problem is when you get back the emotional reaction(s) are pent up. The never really went anywhere. It's more as though you were holding your breath the whole time and now you're squirming for air. You can function in the most surreal environments and 'keep it together', surprisingly easy, then when you get home there's no reason to stay defensive. Defensive coating becomes open nerve. Bambi makes you cry, while Schindler's list makes you giddy. Maybe some tough guy plays the 'role' on you and he doesn't know you're thinking this is life or death.

Having said all that, in all it's manifestations I cannot connect PTSD to anything to do with sexual relations with children. The MO's of true PTSD are depression, suicide, suicide by cop, open or overt violence.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Ex-soldier found not

I'd like to point out that many soldiers in the Canadian Forces DO NOT SUPPORT THIS DECISION. The PTSD defence has been used on several occasions in the last decade, and more often than not it's bogus. Or their PTSD couldn't be directly proven to aiding in the offence committed. We were out for a unit run on Friday morning, and the general concensus was that, and I quote:

The f.ucker shouldn't have been allowed to use PTSD as a crutch. Mother f.ucker raped a 13 year old girl, and gets off practically free. Jerk should be f.ucking castrated.

Just to let you know, most of us don't support the verdict.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Like i keep saying I guess I am a little kinder than other military guys, have about a sentence for 10 years then a nice long term in a high-security hospital.

I was at the base and we were watching the t.v when the verdict came in and we were all uneasy over at this end.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
You have every right to be uneasy. That's just what we need right now in the midst of a War, the general public thinking we're all rapists.

aeon

Council Member
Jan 17, 2006
Re: RE: Ex-soldier found not

Mogz said:
Soldiers:
The f.ucker shouldn't have been allowed to use PTSD as a crutch. Mother f.ucker raped a 13 year old girl, and gets off practically free. Jerk should be f.ucking castrated.

I entirely agree with that statement, raping a 13 years old girl deserve to be castrated at the least, that little girl will mostly be traumatized for the rest of her life, in fact her rooth/life is change forever.PTSD is not an acceptable excuse.