There was NO FERTILIZER - Toronto 17

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
It came out today that there was not actually any fertilizer shipped to these "terrorists".

So, while the Americans and Harper were glad to portray the Toronto 17 arrested last weekend as a "clear and present danger", it wasn't.

The fertilizer in Canada is under tight control - any amounts over 10 lbs are tracked, with a real paper trail.

The fertilizer these "terrorists" ordered was not delivered!!
- Instead, the RCMP delivered some inert white powder that looked like fertilizer - thats what we saw on TV when they showed what they had found. Too bad they didn't let us know then eh? [which tells us that propagandist tactics are being employed in this kerfuffle].

Also, the "bomb" was declared, by the major media, to be functional and ready to go. It wasn't, they had a phone and a switch, but no bomb.

So it was never a real threat. No "clear and present danger".
The arrested ones may have believed it, but the RCMP were way out front of them. It would have all ended long ago if the RCMP had just asked them why they wanted three tons of fetilizer , but instead they followed them so they could get all the players, a good move but it did allow this to become a bigger story than it had to be.

Maybe thats what Harper asked them to make sure of, to gain support for occupying Afghnistan. Its a typical ploy of militarist politicians thru the ages.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
So what?!?

They ordered and took delivery of what they thought was the fertilizer needed to make a bomb. What was the rcmp supposed to do? Let them get the real stuff or prevent delivery and let them know the police were on to them?

That's how you catch bad guys. Become aware of their intentions and monitor them until you've got enough evidence to convict them. Oh, and if you can stop them from getting the real stuff they could use to make a bomb, that's probably a good thing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There you go... putting your head in the sand.

You just can't face the fact that Canada was targeted. No matter how much you try to placate these these people they still wanted you dead.

Nah... it wasn't so bad... the RCMP sent them powder instead of the real stuff... lets pretend it never happened.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm so glad Karlin is a leftist.....sooooo glad.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Karlin said:
It came out today that there was not actually any fertilizer shipped to these "terrorists".

Actually it came out a few days ago. As in, the day after the arrests, in an open statement by the RCMP. They ordered it, and the RCMP made the intelligent decision to swap the fertilizer for whatever it was they did. The intention of the alleged terrorists was to get the fertilizer, that is all that matters.

Seriously, are you actually that dense?

Chake99

Nominee Member
Mar 26, 2005
RE: There was NO FERTILIZ

It is people like Karlin that make ordinary lefists often look like fools on topics like this. *sigh.*

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: RE: There was NO FERTILIZER - Toronto 17

thecdn said:
So what?!?

That's how you catch bad guys..

Yes, I know that. I am saying the media made it appear as if a bomb had been ASSEMBLED, and it could not have been since the fert was fake. Gees.

I really believe this could be a tactic, the fear factor blown up as high as possible. [Whats left got to do with it?]

They certainly have not tried to calm us down, to say "we are protecting you". They are saying "good job RCMP", and, "BUT THE TERRORISTS ARE AT YOUR DOOR", and it is repeated here in this forum, proving the media blitz of fear has worked on the masses.

"Look, there they are!! Ha Ha Ha, lol [gotcha] "
- Its been more than 2000 days since the last one went off, 9-11 are you going around thinking you are about to be blown up? Thats silly.

There is still a lot of questions over 9-11 anyhow - and people are saying IT was a TACTIC, just like this one might have been.

Hurray Karlin!!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Karlin said:

So, while the Americans and Harper were glad to portray the Toronto 17 arrested last weekend as a "clear and present danger", it wasn't.

The fertilizer in Canada is under tight control - any amounts over 10 lbs are tracked, with a real paper trail.

The fertilizer these "terrorists" ordered was not delivered!!
- Instead, the RCMP delivered some inert white powder that looked like fertilizer - thats what we saw on TV when they showed what they had found. Too bad they didn't let us know then eh? [which tells us that propagandist tactics are being employed in this kerfuffle].

Also, the "bomb" was declared, by the major media, to be functional and ready to go. It wasn't, they had a phone and a switch, but no bomb.

So it was never a real threat. No "clear and present danger".
The arrested ones may have believed it, but the RCMP were way out front of them. It would have all ended long ago if the RCMP had just asked them why they wanted three tons of fetilizer , but instead they followed them so they could get all the players, a good move but it did allow this to become a bigger story than it had to be.

Maybe thats what Harper asked them to make sure of, to gain support for occupying Afghnistan. Its a typical ploy of militarist politicians thru the ages.

Karlin, you simply haven't been paying attention.

it has been known practically since the news of the arrests that the fertilizer bought by these gents was bought from the RCMP, and only just after that that it was NOT really nitrate fertilizer.........

17 people, most of then Canadians, planning to blow up buildings and/or shoot up shopping malls, hoping to kill hundreds, is DEFINITELY big news.........

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
RE: There was NO FERTILIZ

All's that is being pointed out here is that the quaking voices of talking heads on TV intoning "the plan was to blow up the parliament buildings" and "the terror group had 3 times the amount of explosive used in the Oklahoma city bombing" and the folks hereabouts posting about "hope all you lefties feel sorry now that we almost got blown up" are engaging in something very much like fearmongering;
There was indeed a notion to do something, it would appear, but I would think that folks who had been this badly infiltrated were not much of a threat

Anyone using this case as a justification for anything past the same vigilance as is already in place is going WAY too far, but I fear that message is lost on many folks

Just waiting for the name calling to be directed at me, so to put it in words you neanderthals will understand "Bring em on" ya putzes

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
I would have to say that I agree something is not right here. You guys don’t see a difference between having a bomb and trying to make one but the RCMP could have told us that they were attempting to buy the fertilizer not that the bomb was ready to go. It goes to show that the RCMP and the government are trying to make us afraid. That does not mean that these guys were harmless but We should have been told the truth. Here is an article from the Toronto Star
Suspects seem strictly second-rate
Jun. 7, 2006. 09:17 AM
THOMAS WALKOM
NATIONAL AFFAIRS COLUMNIST

If these guys are terrorists, they aren't very good ones. At least that seems to be the picture that is slowly emerging of the 17 men and boys charged this week under Canada's anti-terror laws.
Their so-called training camp turns out to have been a swath of bush near Washago, where their activities — shooting off firearms and playing paintball — were so obvious and so irritating that local residents immediately called police.
Serious terrorists, like Osama bin Laden, base their operations in remote areas where no one will bother them. These suspects, it is alleged, simply trespassed on someone's farm and, when the owner told them to leave, gave him lip.
Serious terrorists, like the 19 who attacked New York and Washington on Sept. 11, 2001, try to avoid making waves. They try to blend in.
The young men charged this week apparently didn't bother with this kind of tradecraft. They apparently didn't realize, or perhaps didn't care, that large groups of brown-skinned urbanites dressed in camouflage are not a common sight in rural central Ontario.
So when local resident Mike Côté came upon a group of just such men near his Ramara Township farm last December, he immediately informed police.
As he told the Star this week, the group appeared cold, wet and bedraggled. Some had fallen though the thin ice into a marsh. The leader of these alleged terrorists was so disgusted with his young charges that he complained to Côté about their incompetence.
These, apparently, were the conspirators. One, a former army reservist, allegedly wanted to cut off Prime Minister Stephen Harper's head. How would he find it?
It appears that a good many knew the police were on to these suspects. Harper knew. So did Toronto Mayor David Miller. So did some of the suspects' neighbours. So did many near the ill-fated Ramara Township "training camp," who told the Star later that police asked them to keep their mouths shut.
But the alleged terrorists, it seems, remained blissfully ignorant. They let themselves get snared in an RCMP sting when one of the 17 allegedly placed an order for three tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, a substance that can be used to make bombs.
According to police, suspects happily took possession of the "fertilizer" when it was delivered, not realizing that the RCMP had substituted harmless white powder in its stead.
But then that seems to be the history of this group. For militant terrorists, if that's what they are, they are remarkably naïve.
Some, it appears, chatted openly online about their paramilitary exploits at websites such as the now-dismantled http://www.shaheed.ca, oblivious to the fact that the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service regularly troll such sites.
"I got my gun and tomorrow in the morning I am gonna do some target practise (sic) inshAllah (God willing) hott," reads one 2003 posting. "Checked out some paintball guns today at walmart."
Shaheed, the Arabic word for witness, is often used to refer to someone who has died defending Islam — including suicide bombers. It's not a terribly subtle title for a radical Islamic website. But then not all of the postings on http://www.shaheed.ca were radical or even devout.
"Man, ppl always say the Ummah (community of Islam) is so weak blah blah," reads one 2004 posting. "What ummah? I don't believe that there's 2 billion or whatever muslims in the world....It sux."
"Alhumdulilah (thank God) today was the first successful day of work," reads another 2004 posting. "What a great day it was. Sure we were late, but it's far. But Alhumdulilah, the boss is really nice. ... After that we went for pizza."
This is not quite the image that the government and police are portraying of the 17. They paint the suspects as part of an efficiently sinister conspiracy devoted, in Harper's words, to destroying "freedom, democracy and the rule of law."
As such, the arrests last week come at convenient time for the Harper government. A rise in the public's fear quotient could increase popular support for his decision to keep Canadian troops in Afghanistan another two years to wage war against Taliban and other insurgents.
Polls show that public support has been slipping for that war. The spectre of terrorism at home, however, might convince more Canadians that the Afghan war is necessary.
(Given that police have said the suspects are homegrown terrorists unconnected to any international ring, it might make more sense to station Canadian troops in Mississauga, where most of the 17 live, rather than Kandahar. But it is unlikely the Harper government will make this argument).
The arrests also come at a time when Parliament is conducting a mandatory five-year review of Canada's new anti-terror laws. Before the arrests, there was a possibility that parliamentarians might recommend that the Harper government ease up on some of those laws. That now seems unlikely.
For this, we can thank one of the world's most incompetent — or perhaps one of the world's most far-fetched — terrorist conspiracies.
m the Toronto Star about our scary terrorists.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Mabudon said:

Anyone using this case as a justification for anything past the same vigilance as is already in place is going WAY too far, but I fear that message is lost on many folks

Now that I can agree with..........

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Now that I can agree with..........

as can I

All of you are very fortunate you are debating "what if" scenarios and not mourning fellow Canadians. Don't forget that.

are we now? People die every day. Are you stopping to mourn the daily deaths? Perhaps you meant some are fortunate their belief of living in a nice friendly world where bad things don't happen was not personally disrupted.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
the caracal kid said:
we now? People die every day. Are you stopping to mourn the daily deaths? Perhaps you meant some are fortunate their belief of living in a nice friendly world where bad things don't happen was not personally disrupted.

Drop the guilt trip caracal, it's not gonna fly with me. Especially since I have never seen you mourn daily or post anything on all those other lives being lost. Rather comfy in North America innit?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
your the one on the trip, ITN.

Somehow claiming life is so grand in NA. Somehow claiming we should be so grateful for not getting blown up. Thankful we didn't get hit by a car, or poisoned by the toxins that permiate NA, etc.

You are right in that I don't post on deaths. Death is a part of life. I don't mourn the dead. I also don't wear rose coloured glasses when looking at NA.