Be Guided by Needs, Not Politics

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today, The Honourable Ujjal Dosanjh, P.C., M.P., the Member for Vancouver South and the Defense Critic for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, and The Honourable Denis Coderre, P.C., M.P., the Member for Bourassa and the Québec Economic Development Critic for the same, today stated that the Government of Canada needs to ensure that it is being guided by the needs of the Canadian Forces — and not by politics, in its decision to purchase four Boeing C-17 aircraft from the Government of the United States of America.

Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is concerned that the Government may decide to leave the contracts for the maintenance of these aircraft to the United States of America, which would be a clear departure from a long-term practise of ensuring that such contracts would be delegated to the aerospace industry in Canada.

[color=red said:
The Hon. Ujjal Dosanjh[/color], P.C., M.P.]The Official Opposition believes that the overarching goal behind military procurement should be to provide the best possible equipment for our troops in their current missions. [...] We are extremely concerned that in their hurry, the Government will acquire a fleet that is not a priority for our Forces, will cheat the Canadian aerospace industry out of crucial economic benefits, and will spend $4.5 billion taxpayers' dollars in the process.

Click here to read the entire statement in English.
Cliquetez içi pour lire le communiqué entier en français.
I would share the concerns of the Liberal Party of Canada that, perhaps, the Government is attempting to make a quick purchase to make the appearance of concise action for the Forces. I would hope that the Government has consulted General Rick Hillier, C.M.M., M.S.C., C.D., the Chief of the Defense Staff of the Canadian Forces, in whether or not these purchases are the most urgent needs of the Forces.

:?: Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Liberal Party of Canada.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
So the Conservatives wish to purhase a tried, tested aircraft for immediate use and Mr. Dosanjh feels that it is in Canada's best interest to allow competition between the C-17 and the A400M? He is advocating competion with an aircraft that doesn't even exist yet. This is troubling considering the general thought is that new airplanes are needed now (or rather years ago).

The A400M won't have its first test flight untill 2008, won't be certified until 2009, and won't be delivered to Canada until 2011 at the earliest. This timeline is only true assuming that there are no unforseen problems with the aircraft - like that will actually happen.

What he is REALLY concerned with is that it will "cheat the Canadian aerospace industry out of crucial economic benefits.' It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Of course maybe he just needed to have something to be opposed to, 'cause apparently that's his job :).

It's funny, though. I remember before the election when the Conservatives attacked the Liberals for proposing to purchase the new C-130J to immediately replace the existing Hercules fleet. The airplane that they wanted to compete against the C-130J? .... the A400M of course! :)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
First, I don't quite appreciate seeing Mr. Dosanjh acting as the critic on issues such as these; I don't think that he has the experience required to do this job in the interest of Canada. I would have preferred to see someone such as The Honourable Bill Graham, P.C., M.P., the Member for Toronto Centre and the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, to act as the Defense Critic — he has experience as our former Minister of National Defense, and his conduct in that capacity was quite good.

Second, in terms of this particular issue, I do recognize that the Forces are in need of new equipment, new aircraft, and et cetera; however, I hope that the Government consults with the CDS and other such appropriate authorities and persons before making any decisions to make expensive purchases. We should ensure that whatever the next major purchase may be, is made on the most urgent needs of the Forces — as judged by the Forces, and not the Government of Canada.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
Re: RE: Be Guided by Needs, Not Politics

fuflans said:
It's funny, though. I remember before the election when the Conservatives attacked the Liberals for proposing to purchase the new C-130J to immediately replace the existing Hercules fleet. The airplane that they wanted to compete against the C-130J? .... the A400M of course! :)

I must say, sometimes being a member of the opposition, is simply having the responsibility to bring up alternatives. Now granted it is just done in the most convoluted and destructive way possible, because even when you're not campaigning, you're campaigning.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Whichever one they get, it should be first of all the one that can do the job, and secondly, the one they can get the quickest. If after years of neglect the armed forces now need quick upgrading in many areas, then that is the cost of the neglect of the previous governments.

Perhaps if we actually build our military back up, there will be an increased need for made in Canada equipment, which will be developed over time. But for now, get the best in the quickest time. We owe our armed forces nothing less, no matter where the equipment comes from. If from Canada, so much the better, but not necessarily from Canada.

fuflans

Electoral Member
May 24, 2006
Aotearoa
FiveParadox, I agree with you that it would have been prudent for Liberals to have chosen somebody with at least SOME experience to be the defense critic. Do you know why they didn't?

Also, I think that everybody recognizes that politicians are not the best judges of what is or is not relevent when making military equipment purchases, so I would hope that they would consult with those that know best (i.e the military). This even pertains to MNDs who are former generals.

And Graeme, I agree with you about the role of the opposition. I simply appreciated the irony of the situation :)

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I don't know I have mixed views on the Canadian Armed forces and how we should buy and spend. I think a mix of using Canadian made, bought or manufactured and maintance firms and a mix of cheap, American, Chiness or Russian eqipment could lower some costs to a few things which really don't matter.

However it would be nice if we could start producing those city class frigates and selling them to other nations, but I think we dropped the ball on that program.